Author Topic: men's ice dance costumes?  (Read 314 times)

connor_

men's ice dance costumes?
« on: May 12, 2022, 08:38:14 pm »
i'm reaching the stage in my skating where people are starting to be expected to wear dresses/ costumes to lessons and practice. presently i just wear plain joggers and a tshirt.
im one of five men who figure skate at my rink and the only one who participates in performances, as such i havent really been exposed to many examples of men's skating attire.
does anyone know where i can buy relatively affordable men's skating clothes?

black

• Skate free
Re: men's ice dance costumes?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 12:26:42 pm »
..where people are starting to be expected to wear..

Out of interest is this a written patch rules/etiquette thing, or more a feeling?
Wear what's comfortable, practical, & safe.
(On that last point, example; things like zips, & crystals might hurt your skating partner in lifts, and wearing white coloured clothing might make you harder to spot on a faster/busier session)

I wear regular smart trousers; look to the big & tall ranges, since they have the longer leg needed for skates.
Also baselayer tops are pretty good; doesn't have to be fitted, but it will probably be more athletic than a t-shirt.

May depend on the time of year, & the rink temperature/humidity, you might need more layers, fleece/gilet.
Have you spoken to the other four about clothing?
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 09:18:56 am »
Just to add, if you do official competitions, here are the rules on clothing;
https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-regulations-rules

Page 75; Rule 501.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Badass

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 11:25:05 am »
Hi connor_

If you’re practicing for a performance then it’s reasonable that there would be some dress rehearsals, but it seems unnecessary to wear a costume every time.

Watching Freeze on BBC iPlayer recently, I didn’t notice the pros wearing costumes in all their training sessions but they did rehearse in their costume with the coach. PJs costume was grey suit-trousers with a shirt and waistcoat, I’m not sure if it actually was suit-trousers and a waistcoat or a skating costume cleverly made to look exactly like suit-trousers and a waistcoat, probably the latter I guess. Your choice of joggers and tee for practice sounds alright as is, but perhaps you would want to start wearing something that feels more similar to what your skating costume would be, to get used to it.

There’s lots of male skaters at Cambridge, but not many competitive figure skater types. I’ve seen them in coaching at the patch ice sessions, they wear joggers and tees, except for a few I’ve seen in black flat-front trousers and either a tracksuit top with the coaches name or shirt or tee or base layer top. There’s a guy who wears a goal keeper shirt, for the padding. Me, when it’s time for my beginners group lesson, I just rock up in whatever I happen to have on at the time, jeans or trousers and a fleece or jumper.

You can find some smarter looking joggers, ‘podium’ joggers or trackies, they’re part of the outfit an athlete wears when they’re on the podium getting the medal, they’re tighter fitting and more tailored shape. I got some adidas podium joggers from sports direct, don’t think the judges would be impressed by those though.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy