Author Topic: Spinning  (Read 430 times)

Badass

Spinning
« on: April 24, 2022, 05:06:41 pm »
Everything we been taught so far in lessons has us learning the move in all directions, edges and feet. However with spins we’re taught to pick one direction/foot and that’s it, no left/right inside/outside clockwise/anti with this one. Why is that?

As with all the other moves we’ve learnt so far, learning both directions, on both feet, was what I expected.

I saw Natasha McKay spinning in the opposite direction to the jump rotation direction in recent performances on tv, but every skater seems to spin the same direction on the same foot.

Crackers

Re: Spinning
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 11:05:23 pm »
My daughter Spins and jumps the "normal" way, but my son spins & jumps the opposite way.
When I asked him why he rotates the opposite way, he said that it just "felt right" to him.
It hasn't hindered him, he loves spinning, he has a strong single Axel and recently landed his double Salchow (working at BIS / NISA level 3).
There are a few other skaters at our rink that rotate spins & jumps the same direction as him & some at higher BIS levels.
Go with what feels right for you  :)

black

• Skate free
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 06:26:04 pm »
I'm not sure if there's a general correlation between handedness and rotation direction?
Left handed = CW
Right handed = CCW
This may be because the dominant side helps generate the rotation.

Also for jumps you might have a stronger leg (or injury) which means landing might be easier one particular way.

By all means learn both ways; if you demonstrate this in a competition it will receive some additional marks.

The reason people don't learn every jump/spin equally both ways is because it would take a lot longer to get to a higher level.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 06:33:27 pm »
inside/outside

Forgot to add; you can spin on both edges.

Normally it's the inside edge for a forward spin, and outside for back spin; however you can also switch for the same type.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Crackers

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 07:25:53 pm »
I'm not sure if there's a general correlation between handedness and rotation direction?
Left handed = CW
Right handed = CCW
This may be because the dominant side helps generate the rotation.

Also for jumps you might have a stronger leg (or injury) which means landing might be easier one particular way.

By all means learn both ways; if you demonstrate this in a competition it will receive some additional marks.

The reason people don't learn every jump/spin equally both ways is because it would take a lot longer to get to a higher level.

No corrolation with handedness for my son, he is right handed, right footed but spins CW :)
Takes off and lands his axle on right foot so maybe something with the stronger leg, but then daughter also favours the right leg but spins/rotates CCW  ::)

The only issue that he has faced on patch by spinning and jumping CW is that people who don't know him dont expect him to turn to the right.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 07:59:37 pm »
No correlation between "handedness" and preferred direction of rotation, but most people prefer to rotate anticlockwise for both spinning and jumping. Occasionally (last night, actually!) I come across a skater who wants to spin one way and jump the other, usually because they are worried about landing on the "normal" leg owing to a perceived weakness or injury. Whilst being able to spin and jump in both directions will garner more marks, it's an unusual skill and I feel it's vital to be able to spin in the same direction as you rotate your jumps. Spins, especially backspins, are the basis for all rotational jumps and, as such, really necessary if you want to be able to rotate in the air. (Check out all the training videos of the little Russian skaters and you'll see endless time spent on spinners and in harnesses for rotation practice, which needs to become second nature to them in order to master the triple Axels and assorted quad jumps that they do.)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy