Author Topic: Skate Excellence vs Skate UK for beginners  (Read 1764 times)

FootsieDAX

Re: Skate Excellence vs Skate UK for beginners
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 09:30:58 pm »
Hi SK8R

As a late starter myself, I just want to say well done for taking up skating and progressing through the levels! In group classes, I have always found coaches very helpful when I was asking them how to do various things, so go ahead and ask them if you're not sure. Most of them would actually prefer it if people asked them, as they cannot guess what every person doesn't know, and as you said there's no time to watch every student carefully.
I went from group classes to paying to be coached individually, but that's because I discovered I have a real passion for figure skating (well, minus the dressing up part -- I'd rather just skate in my skating gear, nothing fancy). You get a lot more out of individual coaching, but it can be expensive indeed. Plus you need to do some off-ice conditioning, otherwise as an adult skater you risk injuring yourself by trying out things that need quite serious strength.

SK8R

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 04:53:05 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement! I’m enjoying making slow and steady progress and also the camaraderie with the other group members.

The current block of classes has different instructors and we seem to have more structure now. It might be that I’m a bit more confident now and not giving all my attention to just trying to stay upright!

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 05:12:51 pm »
Yay! Welcome to the addiction! Keep going...  8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy