Author Topic: Boots and Blades Buying Tips for Beginner  (Read 421 times)

rebeca999

Boots and Blades Buying Tips for Beginner
« on: March 18, 2022, 09:03:37 pm »
Hello! Nice to meet you all.
I’m an adult but a complete beginner at figure skating ( currently only able to glide on ice) and planning to start learning figure skating more seriously.

I know that boots and blades are essential for learning and it's much better than rental skates. I was hoping to buy something that can last until I reach a single Axel and because of that, I'm planning to buy Edea’s Overture with John Wilson’s Rev blade so when the time comes to upgrade my equipment, I only have to change the boots.

Is it a good idea to do that or should I just stick to both beginner boots & blades like Coronation Ace Lite (since I saw mixed suggestions on the internet)? Money is no problem for my first purchase.

Hoping for your suggestions soon. Thanks in advance.

spinZZ

Re: Boots and Blades Buying Tips for Beginner
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 01:56:42 pm »
Hello! Nice to meet you all.
I’m an adult but a complete beginner at figure skating ( currently only able to glide on ice) and planning to start learning figure skating more seriously.

I know that boots and blades are essential for learning and it's much better than rental skates. I was hoping to buy something that can last until I reach a single Axel and because of that, I'm planning to buy Edea’s Overture with John Wilson’s Rev blade so when the time comes to upgrade my equipment, I only have to change the boots.

Is it a good idea to do that or should I just stick to both beginner boots & blades like Coronation Ace Lite (since I saw mixed suggestions on the internet)? Money is no problem for my first purchase.

Hoping for your suggestions soon. Thanks in advance.

*  John Wilson has several blades in the Revolution series.  Which model are you considering?  Are you considering one of their top models, such as Gold Seal or P99?  Or the intermediate Coronation Ace?  You need to be careful here.  Depending on what boot you upgrade to, you may or may not be able to reuse the same blade.  Boot designs are all over the map these days, and call for different blade lengths to match.

*  Regardless, at your level, you won't see any benefit from a lightweight blade.  The regular (not Lite, not Revolution) Coronation Ace (an intermediate, not a beginner's blade) should do just fine, even if money is not a concern.

*  Before deciding on a boot, you first need to consult a competent fitter.  Different boot manufacturers (and even different model boots by the same manufacturer) use different lasts (foot forms).  Some are better suited for narrow feet; some are better suited for wide feet, some are better suited for .... At this point, you don't even know whether Edea is right for you.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 01:59:22 pm by spinZZ »

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 05:13:24 pm »
Yes indeed please do try before you buy - as many brands and sizes as you can, and take your time.  Don't be afraid to be picky.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 08:38:28 pm »
You really need to be properly fitted by a reputable fitter, who has all the brands and models available. Different feet need different shaped boots, and then there's the fun and games of adding in the other factors like height/weight, muscle development, skating level, ambitions... You may find that Edeas just don't fit your feet or even if they do, that you don't like the bagginess around the ankle that is a major feature of that brand.

Then there is the blade question. As has been pointed out above, the Revolution style blades come in several blade varieties, none of which are appropriate for a beginner. Even the Coronation Ace and MK Professional Lite ones aren't suitable for a beginner, or even an early intermediate. If you are really keen to keep your first blade as you progress, then the standard Coronation Ace or MK Professional are your goto blades. They have good spin rockers and are probably all the blade you'll ever need. Plenty of people perform double Axels on them. Please don't be tempted by any of the Revolution blades, they will just make things harder for you.

If you're in the UK, then I know of two places that I can wholeheartedly recommend to fit and kit you properly, and those are Al's Skate Shop in Blackpool and Everglides in Gosport, on the south coast. Everglides also have a very competent remote fitting service, which they do over WhatsApp, but going in person to see a fitter is always the best course of action.

Good luck!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy