Author Topic: Blades mounted incorrectly?  (Read 627 times)

happyskater1

Blades mounted incorrectly?
« on: February 16, 2022, 01:08:19 pm »
Were my blades mounted incorrectly?

I have asked the skate tech to mount the front tip of the toe plate of the blade flush with the front tip of the sole of the boot because I want my weight to be more forward. However, the way they mounted them left a gap between the tip of the front sole and the toe plate. The gap measures around 2mm in the left boot and 5 mm in the right boot.

I am not sure if they did it because there is no way to mount them the way I requested so they just went with the standard practice, but it still does not explain the difference in the gap length. The right blade sits farther back on the heel. I have phantom revolution 9.25 and Risport RF3 245AA.

My old blades were mounted with a gap in the front as well, 2mm in the left boot and 3mm in the right boot. So the gap in the right boot is even wider with the current mount.

Should I have them re-mounted? I would appreciate your opinion on this! Happy skating!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 01:38:39 pm by happyskater1 »

Badass

Re: Blades mounted incorrectly?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 10:00:38 am »
I think you need to find a tech who can show up at the rink side.

Moving your weight forward would mean positioning the blade further back, so for me your instructions to move it forwards because you want your weight forward are conflicting.

For them to have adjusted the right and left boots differently without you asking for that, that’s just crazy, and would definitely send them back for rework if you still even trust them and have time for it after that.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 04:14:29 pm »
I would have thought if you want your weight more to the front you'd have the blades further back rather than forward, but I'd have to play around a bit to understand what different it made.

But I would certainly not be happy with them not being mounted symmetrically.  If the asymmetry is to compensate for some asymmetry in your body (I think must of us are a tiny bit wonky) that's one thing, but to do it out of apparent carelessness is something else.

spinZZ

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 12:11:05 pm »
There's something else amiss with your mount:  a screw has been installed in every available screw hole.  Typically, with a new boot and blade, a tech will first install a "temp" mount.  Each blade will be installed with only four screws:  two in the sole plate and two in the heel plate, installed in only the elongated slots, not the circular holes.  This allows minor adjustment of the blade towards the inside or outside of the boot, but not towards the toe or heel.  If further adjustments are needed, then only four old holes need to be plugged, and four new holes need to be drilled.  Once you have established a satisfactory temp mount to your liking, then the tech will install additional screws to form a "permanent" mount. 

In your instance, to move your blades, the tech will need to plug twelve holes in each boot!  Either there's more to your story, or your tech is not competent.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 12:27:28 pm by spinZZ »

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 05:19:50 pm »
Good point.  Also even if the blades don't need adjusting, boots may very well outlast blades and there will be more holes to fill when mounting new blades.  I've just checked my daughter's skates and they have two screws out of 4 holes at the back and 3 out of 8 at the front and they are rock solid.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy