Author Topic: Where to buy mens mid range figure skates?  (Read 768 times)

Fader_Monkey

Where to buy mens mid range figure skates?
« on: January 21, 2022, 04:55:44 pm »
Hi. I’m a newbie and wondering where I can buy larger mid range mens figure skates (size 10)? Availability seems to be so limited for any kind of boot beyond size 8 upwards. Is this normal? Being new I don’t want to pay hundreds of pounds for boots which do seem to have bigger sizes. Struggling to find mid range. Was thinking maybe Graf Bolero or 500s. Any other decent mid range? Based in Manchester. Running out of places to look. Thanks!

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Where to buy mens mid range figure skates?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 07:32:40 pm »
I've not been there but people on the forum who I expect know what they are talking about recommend Al's Skate Shop in Blackpool.  Best to phone before you go though, to make sure they have stock.  In my experience not many people with bigger feet buy figure skates.

https://www.wheelsonheels.co.uk/

black

• Skate free
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 09:40:27 am »
Have you tried the Ice Locker in Sheffield? https://icelocker.co.uk/pages/our-stores

Also remember that these places are dealers/resellers, so if it's not in stock now, they can order it in from the manufacture.

You might need to go to the shop a couple of times.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 05:55:21 pm »
Hi. I’m a newbie and wondering where I can buy larger mid range mens figure skates (size 10)? Availability seems to be so limited for any kind of boot beyond size 8 upwards. Is this normal? Being new I don’t want to pay hundreds of pounds for boots which do seem to have bigger sizes. Struggling to find mid range. Was thinking maybe Graf Bolero or 500s. Any other decent mid range? Based in Manchester. Running out of places to look. Thanks!

Ring or message Alison Holden at Al's Skate Shop in Blackpool. You can find her via Google, Facebook and Instagram. She's the woman to sort you out with the right boots and blades. It'll also save any potentially costly and painful errors.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Badass

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 01:59:45 pm »
I ordered online from proline, they came sharpened with the option to return if they didn’t fit right with no quibble.
There weren’t many options available for mens size 11, I tried most of the places already mentioned.

Wobblyskaterman

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 09:12:18 pm »
Hi, I'm in exactly the same position..I actually have a pro skate shop (Hockey All Stars) 5 minutes walk away from my house here in Wiltshire, but have had terrible bad luck trying to get skates in size 11 from them over the last couple of months. Everyone who goes to my rink recommend them all the time (and they seem pleasant enough and good) but unfortunately for me it's not working out and I feel like I'm bugging them now in trying to find a first pair of figure skates for myself. Anyway, the latest is they won't get intermediate skates for my size till at least September apparently. So, I'd like to find a different recommended pro shop to buy from, whether online or actual store. I'm desperate to get out of the rentals now but don't know where else I can go to, that will fit and bake them in or around Wiltshire too? Any help greatly appreciated! I'm level 4 at the moment, please can you experts also recommend:

1) Which intermediate skates would be best for a male on level 4 upwards?
2) I know buying online isn't recommended but even if I buy them online and get them baked somewhere, wouldn't that be ok?
3) If there are any different shops local to Wiltshire I could try?

Thank you for your help.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 09:19:48 pm by Wobblyskaterman »

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 10:15:54 pm »
Buying online is somewhat pot luck - how do you know what size fits correctly, and what shape of boot relative to how wide your feet are, narrow or wide your ankles are etc?  Snug fitting boots are much more important in skating, where the power and control is transmitted through a sensitive blade to a responsive surface like ice, than in more or less any other sport - and much more important and less forgiving than for ordinary street shoes.

You should be able to send boots back if bought online and they don't fit, but some items are deemed "special order" and either can't be refunded or are subject to a hefty "restocking" fee.

I know there's a rink in Swindon, and now one in Bristol, so there may be shops there.  Otherwise some people have said that Everglides on the south coast are good.  There are rinks in Birmingham and Cardiff too.

I suppose you could try on as much as you can in your local shop and possibly by process of elimination (trying on sizes too small and too large, if they have them) find the right size, but I would travel further afield to avoid disappointment.  I went from London to Eastbourne to buy my rollerblades and have never regretted the time and money spent in finding the right boots.

Good luck.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 11:20:02 pm »
Hi, I'm in exactly the same position..I actually have a pro skate shop (Hockey All Stars) 5 minutes walk away from my house here in Wiltshire, but have had terrible bad luck trying to get skates in size 11 from them over the last couple of months. Everyone who goes to my rink recommend them all the time (and they seem pleasant enough and good) but unfortunately for me it's not working out and I feel like I'm bugging them now in trying to find a first pair of figure skates for myself. Anyway, the latest is they won't get intermediate skates for my size till at least September apparently. So, I'd like to find a different recommended pro shop to buy from, whether online or actual store. I'm desperate to get out of the rentals now but don't know where else I can go to, that will fit and bake them in or around Wiltshire too? Any help greatly appreciated! I'm level 4 at the moment, please can you experts also recommend:

1) Which intermediate skates would be best for a male on level 4 upwards?
2) I know buying online isn't recommended but even if I buy them online and get them baked somewhere, wouldn't that be ok?
3) If there are any different shops local to Wiltshire I could try?

Thank you for your help.

Everglides in Gosport are the best place to go. They really are good.

I've popped into the shop at the new rink in Bristol to ask about skate fitting. They said that they measure and take tracings, but I don't know anyone who has been fitted there so I can't actually be much help where they are concerned. Everglides definitely have my vote, though. I have full confidence in them.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Crackers

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 11:46:03 pm »
I've popped into the shop at the new rink in Bristol to ask about skate fitting. They said that they measure and take tracings, but I don't know anyone who has been fitted there so I can't actually be much help where they are concerned. Everglides definitely have my vote, though. I have full confidence in them.
All Star Hockey, Swindon also run the skate shop at the new Bristol Rink.
All Star in Swindon have provided all my kids figure skates (except the first ones), but the largest size that we have bought is UK adult 10 (had to wait a couple of weeks for those to come in).
The service that we have had from All Star, Swindon has always been exceptional and they have fitted second hand blades & internet purchased wheel frames to boots for us.
If you do buy your skates online, All Star might be able to provide the baking service.

I know others at Swindon also go to Everglides in Gosport and we hear great things about that shop too. You will not go wrong if you go there to get your skates.

However, you may find that being the larger size that you will need to get them ordered in wherever you go and there may also be a wait due to current global supply chain issues.

Good luck in your search.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy