Author Topic: Broken Ankle… when can I skate again????  (Read 598 times)

sk8kate

Broken Ankle… when can I skate again????
« on: January 12, 2022, 03:30:23 pm »
Hi! I have been skating for two years, and last week I was working on double lutz-double loop and double axel. Yesterday I broke my tibia (ankle, non landing), on a jump. Skating is my life and I just want to be able to skate again and continue to improve. I just turned 13, and I’m scared I’m now never going to meet my goals of triple axels, which I work for everyday for 4 hours. I can’t afford to take anytime off, but I think I may need surgery. Will I have to relearn everything? Please help!!

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Broken Ankle… when can I skate again????
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 05:22:04 pm »
Sorry to hear about your ankle.  I expect you'll be fine - you're young.  You obviously need to listen to your medical advisors and your parents.  Others on the forum may have more direct personal experience of recovery from injury related to skating.  Following the rehab advice you get from the doctors will be important, and anything you can do for general fitness and flexibility while the ankle is healing is going to help a lot, taking care to work around the injury and not aggravate it.

Kateskater123

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 01:44:47 pm »
Your orthopaedic doctor will let you know when it is safe again.  I would say a minimum of 6 weeks, but it is a nice simple break so should heal really well.  You will skate again 

Curiously Engaging Bob

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 11:09:09 am »
You poor thing. Speedy recovery to you. I broke my ankle awhile back. Was walking and skating 6 weeks later. Obviously a lot longer to get back to where I was skating wise. You're young, expect to get back even quicker.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy