Author Topic: Have my blades been fitted correctly? (Edea Chorus)  (Read 2925 times)

spinZZ

Re: Have my blades been fitted correctly? (Edea Chorus)
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2021, 09:57:43 pm »
I've not come across anyone in all the time I've been skating who has had blades mounted in a way that adversely affected their skating, and I think plenty of them just took on trust what the shop did.
Either you and your fellow skaters are all blessed with "normal" feet, or some of you are unnecessarily and unwittingly compensating for (or even suffering with) improper blade mounts.  I, and other skaters I know, are not so blessed.  I suffer from fallen arches and bowlegs.  With a typical "standard" mount, I can't get onto an outside edge on either foot without considerable struggle.  One skate tech I know is also a coach and a former elite competitor and a former pro skater.  His blade mounts are so offset that the mounting plates jut out past the edges of the boots (I think this is dangerous and don't care for it myself).  And a friend of mine is an elegant ice dancer with problematic feet:  On one new boot/blade combo, she needed 3 temporary mounts (the last two temporary mounts required plugging old holes and drilling new holes because the range of adjustment via the the slots was not sufficient) before settling on a permanent mount.  And these are just 3 out of many examples.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 01:12:09 pm by spinZZ »

ernie_hudds

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2021, 11:19:20 pm »

*  Test 3.  Assuming you pass Test 2, you can test out your single edges further, if you wish.  In a straight line across the width of the rink, try all the sequences of consecutive single edges:  left forward outside, left forward inside, right forward outside, right forward inside, left backward outside, left backward inside, right backward outside, right backward inside.  If each sequence feels comfortable, you're all set to go.  Minor tweaks may be needed later (as the boot wears in and as you try out more advanced moves).

The problem is, if I need minor tweaks, I can't do them can I, as every hole has been filled with a screw. This is the annoying thing now.

spinZZ

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2021, 11:37:01 pm »
The problem is, if I need minor tweaks, I can't do them can I, as every hole has been filled with a screw. This is the annoying thing now.
Yes, that is a problem.  In some instances, depending on what needs to get tweaked, an experienced tech can leave the current mounting screw holes in place, and insert shims.  With the available Edea screws, you can use only thin shims.  With traditional leather soles, you can use much thicker shims, because you can buy longer screws, if needed.  Anyway, let's hope you have fairly normal feet (no pronounced pronation or supination, e.g.).  Good luck!  Let us know how your trial runs work out.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 01:13:13 pm by spinZZ »

black

• Skate free
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2021, 06:47:38 pm »
Another tip: I had some screws go rusty in the heel, as in broke off; put some new ones in diagonally (like a claw) to avoid the old ones.

His blade mounts are so offset that the mounting plates jut out past the edges of the boots

Interesting; is this both more to the inner edge? what was the reason for doing this?
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

spinZZ

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2021, 01:06:52 pm »
Another tip: I had some screws go rusty in the heel, as in broke off; put some new ones in diagonally (like a claw) to avoid the old ones.
Screws that ship with blades (even pricey ones) often are crappy these days.  I swap them for stainless steel screws.  That eliminates rusty screws under normal skating conditions completely.  (By the way, broken screws can be extracted, and the old holes can be plugged and re-drilled, if needed.)

Interesting; is this both more to the inner edge? what was the reason for doing this?
That was around 7 yrs ago, so I don't remember in which direction the blades were shifted.  He had abnormalities with his shin bones that caused substantial supination or pronation (don't remember which).  He personally did not like to use shims, so he resorted to extreme blade offsets to compensate.  I know techs who go the other way:  if the elongated slots don't provide enough adjustment, they will add shims, rather than remount the blades.  My feet and legs are so problematic, I need a combo of orthotics, blade offsets, and shims.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 03:30:49 pm by spinZZ »

ernie_hudds

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2021, 05:47:20 pm »
Hi guys - so I thought I'd give some feedback from the skates drama.

Me and my coach went through various tests to make sure the blades were balanced - as luck would have it, they were. So as I don't pronate or supinate - my stance is neutral, the blades were fitted neutrally it would seem, so all is well.

One thing I will say is that, my feet go extra cold after a short time on the ice and my ankles wobble a fair bit - but I think this is due to having to break them in a bit and tighten up the laces round the ankle more.

Anyway all is well besides that.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2021, 05:52:55 pm »
Hi guys - so I thought I'd give some feedback from the skates drama.

Me and my coach went through various tests to make sure the blades were balanced - as luck would have it, they were. So as I don't pronate or supinate - my stance is neutral, the blades were fitted neutrally it would seem, so all is well.

One thing I will say is that, my feet go extra cold after a short time on the ice and my ankles wobble a fair bit - but I think this is due to having to break them in a bit and tighten up the laces round the ankle more.

Anyway all is well besides that.

Ah, now there are reasons for the coldness and the wobble.

Edea's soles are very, very light and very, very thin. This means that the chill from the ice reaches your feet far more easily than it would through a thicker, more traditional soled boot. Best way to counter it is to wear thick neoprene boot covers that go underneath the sole of the boot, closing with velcro under there. I know Edea make them and probably others do too.

The wobbly ankle thing is because Edeas are not designed to fit snugly around the ankle. There's too much space there (for my liking, anyway). Some people get used to it, others never do. You can use the elastic things that Edea supply with the boots to hold the lacing more firmly. Tying the laces as tightly as possible in order to try to get the boots to wrap around the ankle is counterproductive as it will cause the boots to break down sooner.

So glad to find that the blade mounting is okay, though! Phew!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2021, 06:12:47 pm »
my feet go extra cold after a short time on the ice

Might help; Scleroderma & Raynaud's UK sell socks which have silver in, this reflects the body heat back.

https://srukshop.co.uk
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy