Author Topic: Have my blades been fitted correctly? (Edea Chorus)  (Read 2924 times)

ernie_hudds

Have my blades been fitted correctly? (Edea Chorus)
« on: August 19, 2021, 02:32:16 pm »
Hi I have just bought some Edea Chorus boots and Jackson Legacy 7 blades - they were fitted by the skate shop. So I expect this was a professional job.

However I showed my coach - and he says they should not have screwed into every hole - is that right?

Also they haven't fitted "sliders" - so there is no scope for adjustment.  He seems to think they have made a mess of them and it's worrying me that I've just spend £400 on skates and they are all wrong - can you help me in terms of confidence that the skates will be fine the way they have been fitted - or has the shop made a total mess of them e.g. have they sited the blades correctly etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated kind people.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 02:36:03 pm by ernie_hudds »

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Have my blades been fitted correctly? (Edea Chorus)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 04:45:45 pm »
I have Chorus and the positioning looks identical to mine.  Mine are pretty standard in terms of position.  Some people like to fiddle with where the blade is - further in or out, but I wouldn't trust myself to know if it was any better or not.  I'm sure the position is fine.  The idea behind not filling all the holes is if you get new blades, there would be virgin boot to screw into rather than having to screw into existing holes with a risk of losing grip, needing to use slightly bigger screws.  Depending on how hard you are on your skates, how often you get your blades sharpened, and whether you may want to change blades for some other reason, you might end up getting new blades before new boots.  But it's a problem easily solved by using fatter screws if necessary, if it comes to it.  Enjoy your boots and blades and happy skating!

ernie_hudds

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 05:59:27 pm »
I have Chorus and the positioning looks identical to mine.  Mine are pretty standard in terms of position.  Some people like to fiddle with where the blade is - further in or out, but I wouldn't trust myself to know if it was any better or not.  I'm sure the position is fine.  The idea behind not filling all the holes is if you get new blades, there would be virgin boot to screw into rather than having to screw into existing holes with a risk of losing grip, needing to use slightly bigger screws.  Depending on how hard you are on your skates, how often you get your blades sharpened, and whether you may want to change blades for some other reason, you might end up getting new blades before new boots.  But it's a problem easily solved by using fatter screws if necessary, if it comes to it.  Enjoy your boots and blades and happy skating!

Thanks for that, good to hear from someone who has the boots as well - I did think a mm here or there is not something I would notice anyway - I'm not olympic standard or anything ;D

Did your coach fit them - or did the shop where you bought them do it?

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 06:25:40 pm »
Rod Turner, who sharpens (or used to) in many UK rinks supplied the blades and fitted them.  Edea Chorus have worked well for me, zero break in time, have lasted maybe 5 years or so, skating 3 times a week, plenty of life left in them.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 10:49:57 am »
Hi I have just bought some Edea Chorus boots and Jackson Legacy 7 blades - they were fitted by the skate shop. So I expect this was a professional job.

However I showed my coach - and he says they should not have screwed into every hole - is that right?

Also they haven't fitted "sliders" - so there is no scope for adjustment.  He seems to think they have made a mess of them and it's worrying me that I've just spend £400 on skates and they are all wrong - can you help me in terms of confidence that the skates will be fine the way they have been fitted - or has the shop made a total mess of them e.g. have they sited the blades correctly etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated kind people.

Personally, I'd be deeply unimpressed with a first mount being screwed in all the holes rather than a couple of sliders and a couple of holes, just in case movement was required, but it's actually quite rare for a professional mounting to require adjustment.

The big question here is how do they feel when you skate on them? Can you glide forwards (and backwards) on two feet, with your boots touching at the joint of the big toe and ankle, without one or both of the blades taking a dive underneath? If you can, happy days. If you can't, then the one that dives may need a slight adjustment but it shouldn't be the end of the world. Holes can be plugged.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Happy skating.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 11:45:45 am »
Interestingly I have John Wilson Coronation Ace Revolution blades and I believe the mounting instructions specify to use all the screw holes.  I've no firm idea why.  Presumably the material used is slightly different to a standard blade - certainly the plate that fits onto the boot seems different and obviously the way the blade part is mounted onto the plate is different and there are different stress points.  When Rod Turner mounted mine he followed the instructions from John Wilson for Revolution blades.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 12:05:33 pm »
Interestingly I have John Wilson Coronation Ace Revolution blades and I believe the mounting instructions specify to use all the screw holes.  I've no firm idea why.  Presumably the material used is slightly different to a standard blade - certainly the plate that fits onto the boot seems different and obviously the way the blade part is mounted onto the plate is different and there are different stress points.  When Rod Turner mounted mine he followed the instructions from John Wilson for Revolution blades.

Absolutely. But I would still mount them temporarily using the slots and bare minimum of screws to ensure they were correctly positioned for the skater before making the mount solid and 'permanent'.

Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2021, 12:09:20 pm »
Yes, that's the ideal approach.  My friend loves to fiddle with his blade position, I seem to have always been OK with the standard positioning, but one ought to try them out first - assuming of course one knows what to look for.  Many don't, and I'm not convinced that all skate shops would necessarily give you particularly good advice on the subject.  Also if the shop is not at a rink, you've got the added pain of multiple journeys to finalise your setup, though I suppose one really ought to try and get them perfect given that skating is hard enough without your equipment working against you!

spinZZ

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2021, 02:16:37 pm »
OP:

*  There is no one correct mount for all skaters; each skater's feet are different.  What your skate tech did is insane.  The logical sequence is to first mount the blades with a so-called temporary mount.  The sole plate and the heel plate (on each blade) each have two elongated mounting slots (what you are calling "sliders"); the remaining mounting holes are all circular.  In a temporary mount, screws are installed in the elongated slots only.  This does allow only a small amount of adjustment, which for some people is sufficient.  If more adjustment is needed, only four holes (per boot) need to be plugged, and only four new holes need to be drilled.  With problematic feet, this process may need to be repeated.  Once you've established a proper temporary mount, the tech will install more (not necessarily all) screws in the circular holes to create the so-called permanent mount.

*  If you are lucky and the mount works for your feet, no harm done.   I hope that's the case for you!!!   If you are not lucky, the tech now needs to plug 14(!) holes per boot.  And redrill new holes.  Think about that.   If that should be necessary, Edea boots require special carbon-composite filler plugs and adhesive.  I hope that he doesn't charge you for materials and labor for installing the plugs, if that should be needed (he shouldn't if he's decent).

*  With traditional leather soles, it is true that if a prior mounting hole is slightly stripped, sometimes (not always) you can re-use the old mounting hole by using a larger diameter screw, without the need to plug the hole first.  Traditional leather soles use standard sheet-metal screws, which are readily available in a variety of diameters and lengths.  Edeas, however, use thinner, carbon-composite soles, which require custom Edea mounting screws.  And, as far as I'm aware, they come only in one diameter and length, so that option is not available.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 02:31:22 pm by spinZZ »

spinZZ

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2021, 10:21:38 pm »
Yes, that's the ideal approach.  My friend loves to fiddle with his blade position, I seem to have always been OK with the standard positioning, but one ought to try them out first - assuming of course one knows what to look for.  Many don't, and I'm not convinced that all skate shops would necessarily give you particularly good advice on the subject.  Also if the shop is not at a rink, you've got the added pain of multiple journeys to finalise your setup, though I suppose one really ought to try and get them perfect given that skating is hard enough without your equipment working against you!
<<Emphasis added.>>  But that's also true if you've got 14 screws initially installed in each blade, and it turns out the blade mounts need to be adjusted.  If you need to make changes, it's far easier (and with less damage to the boot) to deal with 4 screws than 14.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2021, 02:37:23 pm »
Yes, that's a fair point.  I've not come across anyone in all the time I've been skating who has had blades mounted in a way that adversely affected their skating, and I think plenty of them just took on trust what the shop did.  But in an ideal world one would check first, though you'd need someone who knew what they were doing to help you judge, if you're a novice.

I suppose my intention was to reassure the original poster that, while what was done was not best practice, all is not lost and he shouldn't get over-wrought about it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy