Author Topic: Are Risport rf3ís overbooting?  (Read 1050 times)

Sandycat

Are Risport rf3ís overbooting?
« on: June 06, 2021, 11:57:51 am »
Hi!

Iíve Been looking to get back into skating. I started at the beginning of last year (2020) and was skating for about 1-2 months before covid happened :(!!

Since lockdown is being lifted Iím looking to get back into skating and get new skates since my current ones are for more recreational skating and donít offer much support, so I wanted to get something stiffer
that will last quite a while since I am a fairly fast learner. Or at least last into jumps and turns. 

Before lockdown I was doing crossovers both ways, arabesque forwards and backwards, Mohawks, 3 turns, small turns on the spot, one foot glide backwards and forwards, backwards to forwards (and vice versa)etc. So I am somewhere at a beginner- advanced beginner level I think?

Iím 15 almost 16, about 5í8 in height And fairly slim. I do have quite narrow feet so was advised on risports by a fitter. Iím looking to buy skates second hand and had the opportunity to get risport rf3ís with an MK professional Freestyle blade but Iím kinda worried That might be overbooting?

The other option is risport rf4ís which the fitter did recommend to me however didnít have my size. But luckily I managed to find some online however the blades are quite rusted and Iím not sure how easy it is to get rid of rust.

I have tried to do some research as well but it was a bit hard to find much on weather rf3ís are ok for my level. If not I might have just stick with my Ďsoft skatesí (sfr serene) for now and hold on to the rf3ís until I reach slightly more advanced levels!!

Sorry for the lengthy post but would anyone be able to give me any advice on this? :)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 04:01:43 pm by Sandycat »

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Are Risport rf3ís overbooting?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 07:49:21 am »
From your description I think you'd be OK with RF3s, especially as you say they are secondhand so should be broken in a bit.  My kids had them, albeit they had been skating a bit longer than you when they got them.  If you've got the opportunity to try them - which I think is essential - make sure you can bend your ankles sufficiently to get your knees over your toes so you can't see your toes.  I think the most important thing is that they fit properly.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 06:59:09 pm »
Normally at your level I'd be recommending Risport Electra but a second hand RF3 should be okay. Do you have someone who knows enough about boots and blades to check them and make sure you're getting a good - and safe - deal?

Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro and MK Dance. Still scary after all these years...

Sandycat

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 09:53:49 pm »
Thank you so much for the replies and advice given, I really appreciate it!! Unfortunately there isnít any way I can try them on beforehand and wonít be able to return them after so I am slightly concerned about that!! The ice rink I go to has an adjacent skate shop so I may be able to ask about the rf3ís there, however since the listing is on an auction ending soon Iím not sure how possible that will be :(!

They are at a reasonable price as of now, around £26 total, though of course since it is an auction the price can very quickly go up.

However the skate shop did mention they would contact me if they got any of the skates they wanted to try me in (rf4ís I think), in stock in my size but so far havenít got any response sadly.

Even second hand, the skates in the skate shop would of course be much more expensive (they quoted around £100), however I would probably be able to get properly fitted there, so i wonder would it be more worthwhile to wait to buy from a shop or instead look for something similar online?

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 11:27:11 pm »
If the ones in the auction are your size (did the fitter tell you what size you're probably needing?) and they're the ones I'm looking at (size 270) on a well-known global auction site, then they look like a good buy at that sort of money! There's a bit of wear left in the blades, although not a vast amount, and they would need a decent grind to get rid of the teensy bit of rust discoloration but for £22 plus postage... They're unlikely to be worse than your SFRs!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 11:28:50 pm by WednesdayMarch »
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro and MK Dance. Still scary after all these years...

Sandycat

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 11:43:39 pm »
yes I think thatís the same listing! I managed to get my feet sized at the fitters luckily so I know that they definitely should be my size. I was actually just now thinking of the blades as I was worried they wouldnít have too much life left in them, but that is true if it goes for around £20-40 it seems a pretty decent deal! Just hoping the price doesnít go up too drastically!! And yes thatís true..anything is better than the sfrís! I think I might try to grab these if possible then. And Thank you all so much for reading and responding to all my questions í:D!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 11:46:18 pm by Sandycat »

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 11:58:21 pm »
yes I think thatís the same listing! I managed to get my feet sized at the fitters luckily so I know that they definitely should be my size. I was actually just now thinking of the blades as I was worried they wouldnít have too much life left in them, but that is true if it goes for around £20-40 it seems a pretty decent deal! Just hoping the price doesnít go up too drastically!! And yes thatís true..anything is better than the sfrís! I think I might try to grab these if possible then. And Thank you all so much for reading and responding to all my questions í:D!!

It's a good price for the boots on their own. Good luck!

Sandycat

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 12:11:22 am »
So Sorry to reply again!!!
but ironically Iíve just found some Electra lights in my size for £50, and look to be in quite a bit better condition than the rf3ís! I think I may go with those actually! Since they seem better suited to my level and are in really good condition, however it is pick up so I may have to  arrange to ship etc. So may be slightly over £50 But they do seem to have decent blades with a fair amount of life left and no rust, so overall in pretty good condition. Though I may still keep an eye on the rf3ís.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 08:20:39 am »
Sounds good.  8)

black

• Skate free
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 06:58:04 pm »
Before lockdown I was doing crossovers both ways, arabesque forwards and backwards, Mohawks, 3 turns, small turns on the spot, one foot glide backwards and forwards, backwards to forwards (and vice versa)etc. So I am somewhere at a beginner- advanced beginner level I think?

For the UK, have a look at the levels here;

https://www.iceskating.org.uk/learn-to-skate
(I think they need to run a spell checker or proofreader on this page)

Or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Ice_Skating#Skate_UK

I'm guessing maybe level 5/6/7 on the Skate UK - Basic Skills Programme?

I hope you keep at it if you can; sadly the sport dropout rates are quite high.
Sliding on frozen water is the easy part of ice skating.

Sandycat

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 05:32:21 pm »
Thank you for the links!! This will definetly be helpful when deciding which level/ class to join at! And also just knowing my approximate level in general.

Wow really?! I didnít even know! itís such a shame, it really is a wonderful sport, but I guess I can understand as it can get quite expensive as you progress, especially at competitive levels. I hope I can continue with it as well and restart lessons soon!

Terms of Use†††† Privacy Policy