Author Topic: Learn to play hockey / Hockey basics  (Read 3402 times)

Florence

Learn to play hockey / Hockey basics
« on: February 05, 2018, 06:33:54 pm »
Just wandering what they do in these classes?
Do you get a good mix of abilities or, complete beginners etc?
Are there any pre requisites or can anyone have a go?

(Eg. The ones you see advertised at PI / Silver blades.

Thank you  :)

MonkeyBeaver

Re: Learn to play hockey / Hockey basics
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 08:05:52 pm »
Just wandering what they do in these classes?
Do you get a good mix of abilities or, complete beginners etc?
Are there any pre requisites or can anyone have a go?

(Eg. The ones you see advertised at PI / Silver blades.

Thank you  :)

My 8 year old went on the Hockey excellence course at our local Planet
Ice before Christmas. The ability level varied wildly among the other kids on his course but most of them could skate un aided. Due to other commitments my boy had been on the regular Skate excellence lessons & when he switched over to the hockey excellence had already past level 4, he was not however the best skater on his lessons.
He is now on the under 9s team but as the hockey excellence is just before team training I still see some of the lessons, this time around there are kids with penguins & the ones without penguins are very wobbly.
Not sure what it’s like at your closest rink but the hockey excellence lessons here in
Peterborough are only for kids, between 4 & 15.

Our experience of the lessons was that they were split into 2 - 3 groups & each group practiced a different skill, then they would swap round. One of the skills was always just pure skating with no stick or puck involved.

Florence

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 05:02:36 pm »
Thank you Monkeybeaver, Interesting! 
I always envisagd them to be full of wanna be peeps doing already awesome footwork.

Useful to know are attended by very begginers too. 

Have always fancied having a go at hockey , like watching the footwork but a bit  scared of looking ridiculous with my lack of footwork skills. 

I may consider having a go at begginers lessons just for fun. (Although I draw the line at the hands in my trouser pocket move I always see, I am too old for that one!)

Thank you x
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:04:21 pm by Florence »

Leif

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 07:48:12 am »
If you can skate forwards, and stop, with confidence, then you are set to go. AFAIK Basingstoke PI do not have adult beginners lessons, others might. But there are Stick n Puck sessions. Daytime ones are better for beginners as there are less show ponies. The regulars are really nice to beginners. But what counts is time on the ice in kit with a stick. You NEED a helmet and gloves, and a stick of course. Our rink has loaners but you must check beforehand as they are locked away. IMO elbow, knee and backside pads are essential, in-line skating ones if you have them will do.

What I will say is to realise that it is for your benefit, so even if you seem useless, and others brilliant, don’t worry, just get used to using a stick, passing a puck. It takes time. I went from orange cone - and that overstates my ability - to being given a ‘fist bump’ by a very good player for a “good shift” in under a year. If you are friendly, and work, the others will at worst tolerate you, and some may help you.

It is an amazing game.  :D BTW I’m 54, and another chap is 70, he started two years ago.  O0

AndyinSwindon

• When Hell Freezes Over...At least we can skate!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 11:08:25 am »
The LTP sessions in Swindon are excellent.  We generally do a warm up, then split into a couple of groups for drills (beginners and advanced), and then play a scrimmage game with matched abilities.

I have had a bit of a slump recently, and was wondering why I was even bothering, but I seem to be getting through it now, and am starting to make slow progress again.

I think a lot of the problem is that due to work constraints I am unable to get down to the quiet lunchtime sessions nowadays, and the weekends are rammed with Dancing on Ice fans hugging the boards, so almost impossible to practice.
Started skating 07.01.17
Currently working through NISA LTS Levels.
Currently wobbling through hockey LTP sessions.

Leif

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 01:16:09 pm »
Basingstoke is busy too! It's frustrating, but the more people get into the sport the better in my view.

Andy: Keep it up me old mucka, every little bit helps. Sometimes I feel useless, and then someone makes a nice comment which encourages me to carry on. :)

theglobal fun

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 09:30:27 pm »
Ice skating can be a very exciting sport for you once you get the hang of it. You may be surprised to hear that Ice-skating is a great workout too. You might want to know How to Ice skate for the first time and some moves to get started.

In order to get started, you need some essentials- a decent pair of skates, warm clothes (because the rink is freezing cold). Most rinks provide skates. Ensure that you know your shoe size so that you can have a shoe that is good in fit and support.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy