Author Topic: help im new to this  (Read 2505 times)

clueless skating mum

help im new to this
« on: May 01, 2015, 07:16:54 pm »
Hi everyone
Sorry if this has been asked numerous times before but....... is there a length of time a skater should compete as a beginner?  My daughters almost through her skate uk stars and i have found out some of the girls competing in beginners have been doing so fo 2/3years is this an average for them to complete their first level?  I appreciate any replys/guidance just want to make sure my girls prepared as she has zoomed through skate uk in almost a year

granita

Re: help im new to this
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 10:49:55 pm »
The top of beginner is having passed L1 elements or free, isn't it? I don't know the actual average, but a couple of years wouldn't be at all unusual for a once-a-week skater. They'll be spending some considerable time working on the field moves test first in most cases and then lots of people wait until both free and elements are ready to test at the same time. Then there's waiting for test dates to come up!

But anyway, it doesn't really matter. The right amount of time to compete as a beginner is... as long as it takes.

There'll be kids who've tried to test up and failed on one element. There'll be kids who've spent several months out with injury/illness. There'll be kids whose family circumstances mean they only get a lesson one week in three. There'll be kids already doing 8 hours a week, with intensive coaching.  And yes, there might be kids overstaying in the level to win. But then you'll find that the skater you just watched be *surely* too good for beginners actually only got on the ice for the first time 6 months ago.

The best thing is for your skater to choose her own goal for the event that doesn't relate to anyone else (eg. 'get my spin called' or 'get positive grade of execution marks on an element') and think of placement as an added bonus.
Passed level two field moves 29/5/12
Passed level two elements and free 17/6/14

clueless skating mum

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 08:31:34 pm »
Thank you i just wasnt to sure. 
You have explained very well though so again thank you

gwynneth23

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 02:21:03 pm »
Yes a very good answer  :)

It's certainly quite a step up from Skate UK to the NISA levels, I'd say. Now of course some children learn much faster than others, and some get a lot more ice time and lessons than others. But it will certainly be good if you can prepare her for the fact that it might take quite a bit longer to pass tests now.

As an adult learner, I got a real buzz from mastering new elements on a regular basis and passing a new level every six weeks. Then suddenly you hit the NISA levels and I can't remember how long, but it probably took six months just to prepare for Level 1 Field Moves and longer again for Elements and Free. Now (six years later...) I'm still working towards Level 3 Field Moves, and I'm not going to be taking my Level 2 Elements or Free any time soon! I only skate for 90 mins a week, and most children will learn MUCH quicker than that - the sit spin seems harder for adults for a start. But that'll give you an idea of what to expect.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy