Author Topic: What to expect in LTS group lessons?  (Read 3821 times)

memran

What to expect in LTS group lessons?
« on: September 02, 2014, 08:25:22 am »
Hello! O0

I'm new here, and have just signed up for a learn to skate course at Deeside Ice Rink, starting this Friday. To be totally honest, I'm quite nervous because I have never ice skated before, but have done a bit of roller skating in the past.

The sessions I'll be doing is an adults only one, (I'm 35!!), but I was too late signing up and missed the first two. :(
I fear that I'll fall behind the other skaters because of this.

Does anyone here have experience of these LTS courses? What are they like?

granita

Re: What to expect in LTS group lessons?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 10:58:57 am »
They're fun! You'll possibly have fallen behind some people and still be miles ahead of others thanks to your roller experience.

The new beginners groups often spend the first session with some people clinging to the barrier, while others have already got the idea of basic stroking (probably from doing public sessions or having some childhood experience rather than natural skating genius).  I don't know how they do it at Deeside, but when I started at Ally Pally, they bounced "confident movers" straight up into the second group.

And welcome!
Passed level two field moves 29/5/12
Passed level two elements and free 17/6/14

Noorah101

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 04:35:21 pm »
I'm not in the UK, but just wanted to send my good wishes for your skating class adventures!  I started out here in the USA with adult group classes just over 4 years ago.  I was VERY nervous because I was 50 years old and I thought I'd be with a bunch of 18-year olds, and would feel so out of place.  I was needlessly worried, though, because although there were much younger people in the class, the instructor treated us all equally, and to my surprise I was not the worst skater in the group! LOL

I continued with group lessons at various rinks, with various instructors...sometimes enjoying it, sometimes not.  Then about 2 years ago I decided to step up my game and hire a private coach.  I just felt I wasn't getting enough individual attention out of the group class.  It's expensive to have my own coach, but I am progressing so much faster, and I love the individual attention.   The group classes were a great way to get started, but I needed the private coach to get further along.

Good luck to you; let us know how it goes!!

Rene
"When you truly want something, all the universe conspires to make it happen". ~ The Alchemist
http://britishexpats.com/blogs/MySkatingJournal

memran

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:08:46 am »
Thank you both :)

As Friday gets closer, I got more nervous! I'm sure that once I start it will be fine, its just the anticipation of the unknown, I guess...

HannahB

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 03:07:58 pm »
Don't worry about them! Everyone learns at different speeds, and if you've got roller skating experience, that will help (myself - I'm useless on roller skates :P )

I started Skate UK this summer in sheffield and also go to the adult sessions. It's a friendly atmosphere and everyone (in my experience) is so supportive :) The coaches are brill, and very good at helping you to push yourself further (which I often need :P )

Hope you enjoy your lesson :)
Hannah

What seems hard today, will one day be your warm up.

Loops

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 06:33:54 pm »
Thank you both :)

As Friday gets closer, I got more nervous! I'm sure that once I start it will be fine, its just the anticipation of the unknown, I guess...

You'll be right!  How were your lessons when you started roller skating?  I suspect there's going to be A LOT of similarity......

Janice_xxx

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 06:56:15 pm »
Lessons at Deeside are awesome! I've been going for 6 months and love it.  Everyone is so friendly and helpful and it's not too busy at the moment so you'll probably get plenty of one-to-one time!

Don't be nervous, it's great fun!

memran

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 10:28:48 pm »
You'll be right!  How were your lessons when you started roller skating?  I suspect there's going to be A LOT of similarity......
That is a good point! Yes, thinking about it, it must be quite similar. :)

Lessons at Deeside are awesome! I've been going for 6 months and love it.  Everyone is so friendly and helpful and it's not too busy at the moment so you'll probably get plenty of one-to-one time!

Don't be nervous, it's great fun!
Great! :D
Are you in the same session as me tomorrow then?
Is there any opportunity to warm up between patch and lessons?
Will my bag and stuff be relatively safe at the side of the rink?

Thanks! :)

Janice_xxx

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 11:20:16 pm »
Patch finishes at 9.45 so 15 mins to warm up before lessons. Yeh I'll be there! You can leave your bag etc on the far side with others, no need to pay for lockers. The groups are really small at the moment so I'll look out for you!  :)

memran

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 12:05:58 am »
Thanks!
I'm looking forward to this, still scared though! ::)

memran

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 05:08:52 pm »
Well that was fun! :D

The transition from roller to ice is not easy. Relatively simple things like the ability to do nice outside edges is going to take a lot of adjustment.

I guess I shouldn't have said what I can do on roller, because I got bumped up to another group, which I think is too advanced for my wobbly ability. I'll probably ask to start at the beginning next time. Despite that I didn't fall. I guess that means I wasn't trying hard enough!

All in all, a good session, and met lots of very nice, welcoming people! :D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 05:11:26 pm by memran »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy