Author Topic: Welcome to SkatingForum.co.uk - Please read.  (Read 192680 times)

Annie.simpson

Re: Welcome to SkatingForum.co.uk - Please read.
« Reply #891 on: May 29, 2019, 08:40:38 am »
Hello...?  I'm a returning skater, after nearly 20 years and a leg injury.  I've been two weeks running now and it's still very slippery.  Frustration is kicking in at not being able to do anything I used to do without even thinking.  I'll keep at it, though.  Hopefully it'll come back...  :)
Did you ever get back to skating as you had hoped?
I had a 15 year gap from being on ice due to a huge life change as well as living in a desert country. When I got the chance to get back on the ice I loved it and got back into the hang of it fast, and with what I wear it was a challenge hehe. Maybe it was because your injury that you were finding it hard even when physical wounds heal we can still subconsciously worry that we'll re injury ourselves. I really hope you got back on the ice. I'd love to know if you don't mind.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #892 on: May 29, 2019, 09:30:45 am »
Did you ever get back to skating as you had hoped?
I had a 15 year gap from being on ice due to a huge life change as well as living in a desert country. When I got the chance to get back on the ice I loved it and got back into the hang of it fast, and with what I wear it was a challenge hehe. Maybe it was because your injury that you were finding it hard even when physical wounds heal we can still subconsciously worry that we'll re injury ourselves. I really hope you got back on the ice. I'd love to know if you don't mind.

I was progressing quite nicely but then had a couple of long spells off the ice (owing to family illness and some international touring) which really didn't help.  I'm back to feeling wobbly again and am now working to catch up to where I was.  I will never be the standard I was when I had my accident, as my right leg will never be stable and I'm now 51.  I'm also terrified of falling on that knee, not because I'm scared of injuring it again but because the pain is through the roof if I knee or land on it, as the screws that held the tendon in place are still there.  Seriously considering having the screws removed, as they're no longer necessary, but it'll be quite an operation to remove them after 16 years and I'm not sure the NHS would even do it.  But I'm thoroughly enjoying skating just for the sake of skating, and the social side is lovely, too.  It's nice to have no pressure and just skate for the joy and fun.  There is still some pressure to renew my coaching qualifications and start teaching properly again but so far I'm sticking to my decision not to do that.  I love teaching and am always happy to help if people want me to help but I don't need to transform what is now my favourite hobby into something more pressured.   8)

I'm intrigued by the "with what I wear" statement.  What do you wear?  (I'm just designing a range of skating wear for ladies who aren't the leggy teenagers that the current ranges fit so all information about what people like to wear to skate is fascinating to me.)  Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat more.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #893 on: May 29, 2019, 01:19:08 pm »
I'm also terrified of falling on that knee, not because I'm scared of injuring it again but because the pain is through the roof if I knee or land on it, as the screws that held the tendon in place are still there. 

Glad to hear you are progressing. On of my pet obsessions is d30 pads. I'm not sure what you wear when skating, but if trousers, then you could slip a d30 pad underneath to protect your knee, or at least reduce the pain. You can buy knee pads consisting of a fabric sleeve and a d30 pad. You can also buy the exact same pad on ebay and make your own sleeve. I have fallen heavily on my knees and felt no pain. However, I don't have pieces of metal in my knees, and perhaps they would be less effective for you.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #894 on: May 29, 2019, 01:51:10 pm »
Glad to hear you are progressing. On of my pet obsessions is d30 pads. I'm not sure what you wear when skating, but if trousers, then you could slip a d30 pad underneath to protect your knee, or at least reduce the pain. You can buy knee pads consisting of a fabric sleeve and a d30 pad. You can also buy the exact same pad on ebay and make your own sleeve. I have fallen heavily on my knees and felt no pain. However, I don't have pieces of metal in my knees, and perhaps they would be less effective for you.

Every so often you remind me of this, Leif.  I am going to see if I can find those d30s pads on eBay and make some pads for my knees.  Or the dodgy one, at least.  Might just stop me feeling so wobbly.  I don't like feeling wobbly.  I used to be able to do this!  Thank you.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

On the Skidz

« Reply #895 on: January 10, 2020, 06:00:12 pm »
Hi, I am a returning member. I used to be known as Giddy Kipper but have been unable to log in under old user ID.  I reached level 8 of old skate uk course before life and other stuff got in the way.  I am now trying to relearn all my old skills.  Not easy. Ice is just as slippery but my confidence is somewhat reduced .o :o.

On the Skidz

« Reply #896 on: January 10, 2020, 07:41:24 pm »
Hi Chris,
I'm Karen  and I've been a member before but had to change my username as the site wouldn't let me in under my old one.  My new one doesn't always seem to be recognised either.  I'm basically trying to relearn everything I used to be able to do before but I seem  to have confidence issues these days so it's a bit of a long haul.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #897 on: January 10, 2020, 08:13:14 pm »
Hi, I am a returning member. I used to be known as Giddy Kipper but have been unable to log in under old user ID.  I reached level 8 of old skate uk course before life and other stuff got in the way.  I am now trying to relearn all my old skills.  Not easy. Ice is just as slippery but my confidence is somewhat reduced .o :o.

I didn't know you before but can definitely confirm that ice is still very slippery and confidence is always reduced when coming back after an extended period of non-skating.  My confidence is shot and I used to be a pro!  It's still fun, though. 

Belles

« Reply #898 on: July 18, 2021, 01:01:43 pm »
Hello 50plus newbie here. Kids are beginning to fly the best, so all about me. New challenge  starting ice skating, roller ski and ski😁😁😁. Love the vibes from forum. So glad stumble on it👍👍👍👍

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #899 on: July 18, 2021, 01:39:44 pm »
Hello 50plus newbie here. Kids are beginning to fly the best, so all about me. New challenge  starting ice skating, roller ski and ski😁😁😁. Love the vibes from forum. So glad stumble on it👍👍👍👍

Welcome! Enjoy your slippery adventures! 😎

Skating@60

« Reply #900 on: February 04, 2024, 02:52:43 pm »
Hi,
ice skating has been on my list for awhile now since I became an empty nester and last October 2023 I enrolled into a winter course for beginners in Switzerland. . I am thrilled that my dream of gliding on the ice before I turn 60 might actually come true. I’ve never been on the ice even though I took all my 4 children to learn as young kids. I’ve missed quite a few classes due to Covid and Christmas but I’ve been going regularly since January weather permitting as it’s an outdoor rink and will close at the end of February.
My query is that I don’t seem to be able to put pressure on my whole foot  to push off. I currently am in an Edea Overture shoe. While I have pretty good balance I seem to be more on my front than on the whole blade. There are times when it just glides but mostly not. What am I doing wrong. While all the instructors speak in German, they do talk to me in English and repeat the same thing they have been saying for the last few weeks. When I go this Monday to practice I’m going to stand on my foot and then lace it up and see if there’s anything different. Any advice is appreciated.

Age will be 60 end of February
Height 5.7
Weight 70kg

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #901 on: February 04, 2024, 03:07:00 pm »
I'm probably being thick but is your issue pushing off, or gliding, or both?

When you want to glide and you're not, what is happening?  Scratching noise?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy