Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630250 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5610 on: January 04, 2020, 04:05:09 pm »
I do sympathise not that that means didly squat.  :(

Cheers.  I appreciate it.   :)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5611 on: January 04, 2020, 07:06:03 pm »
I had a lesson this morning after a three week gap and overall I was pleased how everything was much tidier and smoother. Forwards CW crossovers are my nemesis, and they were not bad, and actually pretty good when my coach skated alongside and pulled my left shoulder into the correct position. She said she was much happier with my lower body position, but the upper needs a bit of work as she demonstrated. And this time it didn’t freak me out having someone skate so close while doing crossovers at speed. Backwards crossovers are good, they need work but it’s just a case of repetition to build up that confidence and control.

My forward outside three turns were not good. Yes I can do them, but the blade skids due to poor control. Ah well, what would I do if everything was perfect.  Something to work on.

I did some backwards stroking and I got to the stage that I understood and could demonstrate the correct technique slowly, and practice is needed. Previously I did C cuts, which are much less efficient.

Oh and I now rarely fall over in hockey, even when someone bangs against me. The lessons are working!

Sadly though she (and I suspect the rink owners want) to use my session for group tuition. I can’t blame them as they make far more money from five students than one, so I may have to switch to a coach at Basingstoke.  :-[ I’m sure they’re nice there, but I have got used to Lucy and she has helped me a lot. I could do a weekday evening, but it is a one hour drive each way.  Or perhaps one lesson every two weeks.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5612 on: January 04, 2020, 07:39:42 pm »
Oh boo.  You've made such great progress there with Lucy.  I hope you can work something out.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5613 on: January 08, 2020, 07:54:56 pm »
This week (so far) I have had a bit of a realisation.  Although I whinge and whine about struggling with backward three turns "because of my short-heeled dance blades", it would appear that I can do the things when I have to demonstrate them.  ::)  Remind me why I've just shelled out a lot of money for new, longer heeled blades...?  <headdesk>

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5614 on: January 08, 2020, 08:35:23 pm »
Two great skates at my competiton this past weekend.
Free skate: 9.03 and 9th in senior ladies championship
Free dance: 6.21 and 8th in senior ladies championship
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5615 on: January 08, 2020, 08:54:05 pm »
Two great skates at my competiton this past weekend.
Free skate: 9.03 and 9th in senior ladies championship
Free dance: 6.21 and 8th in senior ladies championship

I think you win this week's achievement award!   8)

josydavinia

« Reply #5616 on: January 09, 2020, 08:37:54 am »
Gained my confidence back after my coach had been off for a month having surgery. I had a right old wobble whilst she was away and convinced myself last week that I just wasn't cut out for skating! How wrong I was :)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5617 on: January 09, 2020, 10:53:39 pm »
Gained my confidence back after my coach had been off for a month having surgery. I had a right old wobble whilst she was away and convinced myself last week that I just wasn't cut out for skating! How wrong I was :)

This is great news!  8)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5618 on: January 10, 2020, 08:10:43 pm »
This week was the first skates after the "Christmas break".  (Our rink doesn't open on New Year's Day, so we lost two of our regular Wednesdays, which was very unsatisfactory for the Wednesday Gang!)  On Wednesday, I honestly questioned why I'd spent a lot of money on new blades, when I didn't appear to be struggling with my short ones but I handed over my boots at the end of the session to have the new blades put on them anyway.

This morning was the Day of Truth, when I'd find out whether I really did prefer MK Phantoms to MK Dance.  I'd found a pair of brand new Phantom Parabolics in the size I wanted on eBay for a lot cheaper than any of the online retailers and had grabbed them.  Never had Parabolic blades before and wasn't sure what to expect, other than possibly almost instant, ignominious, icy death.

Didn't happen.  Got on, skated around and thought, "Well, they feel like... blades."  Noticeably slower than my MK Dance (which are the slickest, fastest blades on the planet) but I was expecting that, and the brand new grind plus dreadful ice quality wasn't going to help that any.  I actually love the massive toepicks (oh, how I've missed those) and only clicked the heels once.  I also found that parabolics are different when you skate steep edges.  I think that once I've settled down on them, I should have some fun.

So, this week I cheated death by new blades.  I'm calling that a result.   8)

Jo

« Reply #5619 on: January 12, 2020, 09:39:09 pm »
I got back to lessons on Saturday after 7 weeks off. I didn't get to the rink as often as I wanted during the Christmas/ New Year period, and when I did it was far too busy to get any decent practice done (even though I planned to get there later in the day when theoretically the rink would be winding down instead of getting busier). But at least at my lesson I was confident I hadn't forgotten everything I'd learned previously, and in fact I felt I justified being at the level I was training at. (Level 7 Skate Excellence *sigh*). Mind you, just because I had a good lesson, it doesn't automatically follow that next week will be any good, after all, the only thing I'm consistent at is inconsistency. However, my new year resolution is to (try to) stop overthinking the moves.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5620 on: January 12, 2020, 10:20:29 pm »
Didn't cry with frustration
Did some nice, controlled inside 3 turns as part of toe loop entries
Did some nice outside 3s, holding the back inside edge
Did some nice mohawks, again holding the back inside edge.
Persevered with backspin
Did a couple of nice 1 foot spins that were 2 rotations.

Salchow - I either do the entry nicely and don't jump. Or I mess up the entry, put my free foot down, and then jump nicely. Both nice bits together? Nope. See my first achievement.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy