Author Topic: DOI 2009  (Read 11966 times)

smelltheice

Re: DOI 2009
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 09:21:08 pm »
It is true that it has given skating a boost in the UK. I guess its better than a scandal!!!  The Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan thing in the 80's boosted figure skating the the second most watched sport in the US for years afterwards!
I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

sweeneytodd

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 04:05:22 am »
Ok have heard of Hearsay (just and couldn't name the  members) but who is the other one?
Saying that  having half heard of one of  two is good sign, as usually have only heard of approx 3 per series so far.

Dundeestar

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 07:08:24 am »
I watch DOI and its good to see a bunch of nobody's magically turned in to brilliant Skaters.

But then wouldn't it be great if we were celebs to and we were allowed to get ice time when ever we wanted, i bet they Skate 8 hours a day 7 days a week, because there celebrity's and they just can  ;D

Not had a whinge for a while that feels better now, i did think that chap from Hollybokes was brilliant last year though. O0

smelltheice

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 08:49:13 am »
Ok have heard of Hearsay (just and couldn't name the  members) but who is the other one?
Saying that  having half heard of one of  two is good sign, as usually have only heard of approx 3 per series so far.

If you watch coronation street then you have been watching an ex member of hearsay for quite a while. Michelle, steves ex behind the rovers bar is formerly of hearsay "fame"
I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

rach

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 10:35:52 am »
Yeah Suz Sahw did it last year - youll know her! and Mylene Klass gets about a bit these days too..... those three are only ones who still deserve celeb status really.......(well still kinda work in public eye) unless I forgot one of em! The boys don't seem to have done owt except faded back into oblivion!

Dundeestar

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 03:58:07 pm »
Suppose DOI is good entertainment value, but what if the took ordinary skaters the likes of say for instance Smelltheice, Slippyslider, Rach, Paul2,or anybody else on the forum, would we come out of it any better Skaters.

Or do we have a better knowledge and skill than the celebs do?, maybe even they have skated in the past or maybe are secret skaters, we don't know what they get up to in there spare time.

What do you think folks.!!!!!!!!!! :)

smelltheice

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 04:42:57 pm »
I think that alot of people live their lives vicariously though hello magazine and their various "celeb"  (and I use that term loosely!!)  articles so the following of DOI would be reduced, possibly quite significantly if they used ordinary folks in the show. I do think that some would improve immensely where others may flounder or simply maintain their ability. There are so many factors to take into account that you can't put a generalisation how normal folks might perfrom. You see a varying degree of ability and perfromance in the celebs and it would be similar in regular folks.  At least in my opinion ;D

rach

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 09:33:49 am »
Yeah think most would probs improve, I mean You can't not  really with all that ice time to practise while effectively being coached for what? about 5/6 hours a day 7 days a week? You'd have to improve..... after all, surely skating just improves with practise and ice time... thats what we say all along.... it'll come with practise! No wonder they get up to standard they do..... Take our skate Uk classes for eg. most peopel join them being able to stand up and thats about it, some can skate forwards some may even be confident enought ot do backwards others maybe can't quite stand up yet....... same with celebs.... effectively they just doing an intensive skate uk course to start wiht.... How long on average does it take someone who can't stand up at start to being able to pass grades 1- 6 ish..... and then work it out in hours spent with coach working on stuff, the celebs probs get more hours so it's no wonder they prgress!
I often thought about this for plebs like us as one of those 'gift experiences' you know people would pay good money for the DOI experience, go in, find a fab costume to wear, have an hour or 2 with a pro skating (even as group classes) then do little routiney thing to standard that you at, could have same routines for all, have like a basic in case they can't skate routine, an 'i can skate forwards routine' an 'i can go forwards and backwards' 'I can do things on my own' and a slightly more advanced one. With the flying thing as an optional extra. People could then buy photos and videos of their day  and company could make extra cash...... just think it would selll soooo well as christmas prezzies! especially for the kids!
anyway I digress!

smelltheice

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 11:07:59 am »
That is actually a wonderful business idea. I think the insurance companies would think twice but they are like all businesses, throw enough money at them and they would rip your hand off and eat the tyres off your car for the right sum ;D

Slippy Slider

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2008, 07:28:33 pm »
I guess that at least 'celebs' are already celebs. 

If you used 'ordinary' people, you might run the risk of ending up with folks who want to be famous rather than folks who want to skate well - Imagine Jade of Big Brother fame on ice!   :D  Sounds like a Disaster Movie!
Lost in a world of infinite possibilities, but with no Chocolate Hobnobs  :P

smelltheice

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 07:51:13 pm »
I guess that at least 'celebs' are already celebs. 

If you used 'ordinary' people, you might run the risk of ending up with folks who want to be famous rather than folks who want to skate well - Imagine Jade of Big Brother fame on ice!   :D  Sounds like a Disaster Movie!

I try not to imagine jade from big brother. it would be like animal farm on ice. Can you guess who Jade would be?!!! ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy