Author Topic: Traumatic Day  (Read 1756 times)

Mort

Traumatic Day
« on: February 14, 2007, 11:43:06 pm »
Well I've done it got the figure skates on for the first time today and as I predicted found myself catching the toe pick all the time lol. One of my main problems on either skates is crossing over going clockwise which just seems alien to me.  I've spent that long going anti clockwise I just couldn't get my feet to work in the opposite direction.

Anyway I've managed it but fell in the process (first time since I was about eight) I went full front and looked like a snowman when I got up lol.  The heels of my hands are now black which is my own fault cos I'm meant to wear wrist guards.  Two minutes later Lee Sharpe went down with a right crash which made me feel heaps better, not cos he'd fallen of course but he's a whole lot better and he's still falling.

Tally ho it will get easier!

;)
Mort (Oldie learning to figure skate)

Derek

• Crustie from Coventry ...
Re: Traumatic Day
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 11:23:57 am »
Just accept that falling will keep happening, I think I am getting quite good at it now  :D  I was practising backward outside 3 turns yesterday, falling from those was not nice at all (backwards whilst rotating).

Derek :)
Bronze Passport: PASSED Woohoo !
Silver: PASSED Yippee !
Gold: Back Spin PASSED One Foot Spin ____ Toe Loop ____ Programme ____

The impossible is only a journey away ...

Mort

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 05:04:07 pm »
Yes I have accepted it but the aches on the body today feels like I've done a 6 hour workout at the gym  ;D
Mort (Oldie learning to figure skate)

sweeneytodd

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 06:44:06 pm »
Strangely enough the  more you fall the better you get at it.  If you are afraid of falling you tense then fall heavier.  (there are odd exceptions) .   I'm falling quite a bit at the moment as trying out  a new jump (which i can't do.)

Derek

• Crustie from Coventry ...
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 08:03:23 pm »
Regarding the crossovers, I recall someone telling me the movement is akin to walking up stairs sideways ... this has the added advantage of demonstrating the deep knee bend (being told to bend my knees will haunt me forever !). It is certainly a movement that can be practiced off ice anyway.

Good luck

Derek
Bronze Passport: PASSED Woohoo !
Silver: PASSED Yippee !
Gold: Back Spin PASSED One Foot Spin ____ Toe Loop ____ Programme ____

The impossible is only a journey away ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy