Author Topic: What do you struggle with?  (Read 13459 times)

amyskatingrules

Re: What do you struggle with?
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 11:36:51 am »
I struggle with my double salcow!
It's annoying!   >:(
(:

zara

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 11:42:52 am »

Loop is still nowhere enar but giving that a rest well I get my other jumps together.

How come you can do your axel if you are struggling with your loop.
Haven't yet started the axel as I have only just recently sorted out, and can jump my loop confidently.
I though you needed a strong loop to do an axel?

Axel is now next on the list, but v scared!

Paul 2

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 02:03:07 pm »
Hi,

I struggle to skate!!!   :'(

You must have sensed I had a bad session last night, by starting this thread.

About 6 of us are sharing an hours coaching time during the summer Skate UK break each Monday night for an hour. Trouble is the other 5 are doing level 5/6/7 stuff and I'm STILL struggling (after 15 months) with level 2/3 stuff, so the coach tends to concentrate on the higher level stuff. I think she is a bit exasperated with me, but I know how she feels.

I STILL can't get my weight over on to my left leg, so one foot glides, crossovers, inside/outside edges etc, etc are impossible.

I feel like Mr Puniverse struggling with water wings in the shallow end of the pool while everybody else is jumping in at the deep end & treading water. (It did take me 5 years to learn to swim!!).

I don't know what the answer is, or even if there is an answer to my 'problem'.

I don't want to give up, I want to make some PROGRESS!

GGGGGGRRRRRR!!!!

Paul
Skating at Sheffield and Hull. Started Skate UK April 2007
L 6 March 2012. Still working on L 7! The harder the struggle, the more frustrating it is

Christine

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 02:09:48 pm »
I also had a bad session last night and share the frustration felt by Paul.  In my mind's eye I can see what needs to be done to do outside edges and 3 turns, but in practice I just can't stay on the o/s edge - it's a complete lack of confidence. 

Like Paul there are a couple of us who have booked a patch session with one of the coaches to see us over the summer so I'm hoping that will help.
Gold Dance 2009
Bronze Free 19/03/2009
Working on Level 1 Field moves and would like to do Level 1 Dance if I find the time
Proud to be a 'Silver Skater' ! To live is to skate, to skate is to live. (Apologies to Snoopy)

sweeneytodd

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 02:39:32 pm »
Sorry didn't mean to be misleading,  The jumps I can do seem to be having an off spell, eg toe loop, salchow etc,  so gone back to the beginning jumpwise to get them sussed before working at the loop again.  Not sure if I have always had habit of taking off too late on salchow but it's been picked up recently.

Problem I find is with the group lessons I  do they spend approx 6 to 8 minutes on jumps if at all.  By the time you have done 3 jump and then salchow then toe loop then maybe  tried different entrances theres no time to work at others.

ice queen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 03:34:26 pm »
Hi,

I struggle to skate!!!   :'(

You must have sensed I had a bad session last night, by starting this thread.

About 6 of us are sharing an hours coaching time during the summer Skate UK break each Monday night for an hour. Trouble is the other 5 are doing level 5/6/7 stuff and I'm STILL struggling (after 15 months) with level 2/3 stuff, so the coach tends to concentrate on the higher level stuff. I think she is a bit exasperated with me, but I know how she feels.

I STILL can't get my weight over on to my left leg, so one foot glides, crossovers, inside/outside edges etc, etc are impossible.

I feel like Mr Puniverse struggling with water wings in the shallow end of the pool while everybody else is jumping in at the deep end & treading water. (It did take me 5 years to learn to swim!!).

I don't know what the answer is, or even if there is an answer to my 'problem'.

I don't want to give up, I want to make some PROGRESS!

GGGGGGRRRRRR!!!!

Paul

I know this may sound bizarre but have you thought about getting some inline skates to practice stroking and one foot glides etc to give you the confidence to go for it on ice?  Just a suggestion ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:47:02 pm by ice queen »

Slippy Slider

• My 'expression of horror' on ice is Concentration!
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 06:00:25 pm »
At the moment I am struggling with all my Skate UK Level 5 stuff and I am also struggling with a feeling of lack of confidence on the ice.

Had a good dream tho' last night - that I could do the most amazing awesome spins !! - but then I woke up  >:(!
Lost in a world of infinite possibilities, but with no Chocolate Hobnobs  :P

GiddyKipper

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 12:49:55 pm »
Stage fright, I can do all I need to do for level 2 and even some of level 3 stuff on my own in practice, but as soon as I feel my coach's eyes on me it all goes belly up.  Its going to take me forever to get through my levels if I have this problem at this stage.   I'll never dare enter competitions even if I ever get good enough. I will just freak out as soon as I see judges and not be able to do anything. Has anyone else had this problem and got through it? I'm half dreading tomorrow night now as its my lesson but I will probably make a mess of it as usual so I think my coach will get like Paul2's
Started Skate UK   05/06/08
Passed Level 1      12/06/08
Passed Level 2       31/07/08
Passed Level 3       28/08/08
Passed Level 4       22/01/09
Pased Level   5       26/02/09
Passed Level 6        25/06/09
Passed Level 7        07/07/10
Passed Level 8        23/09/10

Paul 2

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 01:32:39 pm »
Hi Giddy & Slippy,

Perhaps we should form a Level 5 and below 'self-help' group!

Paul
Skating at Sheffield and Hull. Started Skate UK April 2007
L 6 March 2012. Still working on L 7! The harder the struggle, the more frustrating it is

Skaterchick-11

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 01:45:06 pm »
Stage fright, I can do all I need to do for level 2 and even some of level 3 stuff on my own in practice, but as soon as I feel my coach's eyes on me it all goes belly up.  Its going to take me forever to get through my levels if I have this problem at this stage.   I'll never dare enter competitions even if I ever get good enough. I will just freak out as soon as I see judges and not be able to do anything. Has anyone else had this problem and got through it? I'm half dreading tomorrow night now as its my lesson but I will probably make a mess of it as usual so I think my coach will get like Paul2's

I had this same problem in Grade 5 with the backward one foot glides. I could do them on my own but whenever I tried to show my coach I couldn't hold either for more then a second. I found what helped me was I got people to watch me in practice so I got used to the feeling of being watched and finally after 6 weeks of trying I got it and passed grade 5 :) It may seem an odd way to do it but it really helped me build up my confidence. Hope this helps and good luck  ;)
Working on the three jump and one foot spin ahhh :O

sweeneytodd

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 02:50:04 pm »
Doing on own in front of coach is one thing,  however if you can do them in the lesson but not on own in front of her then she/he has probably already seen you do them.
The getting other people to watch you is good tip or even pretned your coach is watching from side. In my case i just concentrate and switch off everything around me. It's just me and the routine elment or whatever I have to do.  good thing is you know you can do this it's just the enviroment that is the problem not that you are struggling with it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy