Author Topic: What do you struggle with?  (Read 13458 times)

onlyhappyonice

What do you struggle with?
« on: July 21, 2008, 02:53:25 pm »
Thought it might be good to have a thread where we can cry about what's doing our noodle in and get help for it.

My spirals are pathetic, leg just will not get high and the only way I can get it to the same level as my head is to drop my head down haha

I'm now putting my skates on and putting my foot up on a work surface behing me to try and get the leg used to it but any other tips would be greatfully received :)
Yes, I'm a guy... feel free to add me to MSN ([email protected])

Broke Back Ice Rink
I WISH I KNEW HOW TO QUIT YOU!

ice queen

• Global Moderator
Re: What do you struggle with?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 03:03:24 pm »
For spirals you really need to practice getting the position off ice so you are comfortable with balance etc.  The best way to hit a spiral position is to lift the leg behind you as high as you can with head up and arch in back then lean forward to increase height of leg.  One other thing I used to do  to improve balance was practice my sprial position on a half fit ball to simulate ice wobble however need to get  position first before progress to this.

You also sound as if you need to do a few stretching exercises one of the best one is to lay on the floor with one leg straight out and one with  knee bent then lift the straight leg and hold onto the calf not the knee and take the leg back as far as it will go hold for a few seconds and release.  Do this on both legs and this should improve your stretch capability. Also one more to think about is to put both hands on the back of a chair and try and see how high you can get the spiral position its useful then to have someone else to lift you leg a little bit higher and then gently let go.  The aim should be to try and maintain the height.  This will challenge your leg and bum muscles a little but should show results   

Hope this helps ! ;) 
PS try this without your skates on first!

onlyhappyonice

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 03:06:17 pm »
ohhhh sounds like some good advice there missus

cheers :)
Yes, I'm a guy... feel free to add me to MSN ([email protected])

Broke Back Ice Rink
I WISH I KNEW HOW TO QUIT YOU!

SkatingGeek

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 06:04:55 pm »
Spinning is a real probelm for me, I have no centre, my coach keeps saying, follow the left shoulder but it leads me up the garden path at the moment.  :)

sweeneytodd

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 07:08:22 pm »
Spins are still off (centre) either toe them or travel. 

Loop is still nowhere enar but giving that a rest well I get my other jumps together.

Other thing is the backwards continuous edges though hopefully somethings clicked now. (it's the ones where you swing your legs through on field moves 2)

rach

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 07:39:10 pm »
With spirals I tried various stretches mentioned above and also this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPEA73SlUjU
I know its only spirals not splits but found that really helps flexibility. Then you can work ont he balance etc as mentioned in previous posts!

I can do it fine off ice on or off wobble cushions but on ice I seem to struggle to get it any higher than the 90 degree position, strange! must be a sub conscious thing!

I find spins really tricky to centre at mo, and the back spin is really tricky, but will get there eventually.

Also having major mind battles with lots of things, salchows away from barrier, toe loops away from barrier, backwards crossovers in CCW direction! but still we getting there slowly!

smelltheice

• wherever you go, there you are. James. T. Kirk
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 08:19:06 pm »
Got to admit that I sooo need to sort out my jumps and spins. They are all over the place at the moment and it is really piddling me off at the moment. Axel seems to get worse the more I practice and I just can't seem to relax my shoulders at the moment >:(
I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

allycat

• やった!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 09:01:02 pm »
At the moment I'm a little scared to jump on my toe-loop. Setup=good, check=good, toe-pick slammed into ice=good but then I'm scared [censored] to hoik myself up into the air with it. Oh and back spin=we may be here some time!
Finally officially NISA Level 1 ;) :D

がんばってください!

Blossom

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:40:41 pm »
apparently spirals are trickier for the male of the species!  ;)

Don't like doing left foot 3 turns at speed for dancing - much rather do them on my right!!. Jumping loops, flip and Lutz- its just scary!!
Syncro, Free and Dance :)

smelltheice

• wherever you go, there you are. James. T. Kirk
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 10:45:55 pm »
apparently spirals are trickier for the male of the species!  ;)

Don't like doing left foot 3 turns at speed for dancing - much rather do them on my right!!. Jumping loops, flip and Lutz- its just scary!!

I have never found a problem with spirals. They are one of my stronger points but I think that comes from hi kicking in martial arts as a kid!! :)
I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

zara

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 08:20:10 am »
back spin - say no more!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:40:09 am by zara »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy