Author Topic: Confidence + Progress Issues  (Read 658 times)

SparkleonIce

Confidence + Progress Issues
« on: November 16, 2021, 06:36:52 pm »
Hii!
Im new to this forum so this is my first post!

I started skating about 3 months ago and have been progressing at a decent pace.
Recently I feel like my progress has suddenly slowed down massively and I can’t seem to get over my fears of going backwards and my balancing issue.

When I skate my legs feel so weak and makes it hard to balance and gain speed.
My coach moved my blade the other week and balancing on my left foot has improved as it was near to impossible before but I still struggle with it on both feet quite a bit, especially when I go backwards. I panic so much the moment I go backwards. I feel as though this issue is stopping my progress massively. I end up beating myself up a lot and draining my confidence completely as this has been something I’ve wanted to do for months and I just can’t bring myself to grow a pair and face my fear.
I feel as though I lack so much muscle and I’ll never end up competing as that’s my dream/goal.

I only skate once a week due to my work which is only part time and the cost of my lessons so it’s difficult for me to afford to go more than once currently. It also takes me over an hour to get to my rink so travel time does add up.
A rink nearby has opened and I was hoping to go but once again it’s a confidence issue as I feel like a complete bambi on ice but I just don't have the confidence. Plus it said on the website patch is £8 for 30-45mins which doesn’t seem worth my time, where as my current rink is £8 for 2.5/3hrs

Does anyone have any advice? Would be much appreciated  :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 06:41:38 pm by SparkleonIce »

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: Confidence + Progress Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 11:23:44 pm »
Ah, backwards is the bane of many an adult skater. The hardest part of it, however, is the first bit, ie learning to skate straight backwards, firstly with lemons/swizzles and then backwards stroking. It is really helped by having somebody (a coach, friend, random friendly skater who will soon become a friend) to be the eyes behind you, as quite a large part of the fear is the fact that you can't see where you're going. You'll soon find, however, that once you've got the hand of it, most of the backward skating you'll do is in a manner that enables you to see where you're going, which is much less terrifying. I would also recommend you consider some form of head protection, and maybe some other padding if the idea of falling is really putting you off. Nobody bats an eyelid at body protection these days. It's considered a thoroughly sensible thing to wear, especially for beginners.

If you feel that there may be a problem with the alignment of your blades (fairly common; lots of people pronate quite substantially), then a trip to Everglides in Gosport may help. They are very good at assessing and sorting the problems with custom insoles and blade adjustment. I have a couple of skaters who have been massively helped in the past couple of weeks and who feel much more confident now.

Another thing to remember is that everybody has what I call "Plank Days", when we skate more like a plank of wood - or Bambi - than an actual skater. And when I say "everybody", I mean everybody. Yuzuru Hanyu skated a blinder of a short programme at the last World Championships, but in the Free Programme he admits that he was basically just aiming to stay upright! And we all plateau in our progress at various times, too. It's perfectly natural and very normal. This, too, shall pass.

Ice time costs vary a lot from rink to rink. It's just the way it is, I'm afraid. Sometimes, however, it's better to pay a bit more for better ice/more space/nicer atmosphere.

Don't be too downheartened. We all go through these things.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

SparkleonIce

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 11:33:11 pm »
Thank you for!

I think a lot of my backwards fear is the fact I cant see where I'm going and my coach has made a big deal out of not falling backwards which has worked up the worry. I think it will just take practice which isn't ideal but I know it will benefit me in the end. It's amazing how people can make skating look so effortless when doing so.
And in terms of rink costs, more ice time would be really beneficial so I might make the jump to practicing there as well and maybe taking extra lessons. :)

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 10:55:21 am »
If travel and expense are issues, skating on wheels as a supplement to ice might be worth considering, especially if you have access to smooth flat surfaces nearby (e.g. car parks, roller rink, school or sports hall, paths in parks).  There is some initial effort required in getting used to the slightly different conditions and skates, but longer term if it means you can do even just half an hour a day free of charge it could make a huge difference.

Now I can skate backwards with confidence, I find it easier than skating forwards.  A lot of the issue is seeing where you are going, so the advice about having someone help you not crash into people is helpful.  Not wanting to fall backwards is also a big blocker - this leads to people leaning forwards which is not going to help you.  I don't think there is an easy answer to this - you need to learn to trust your skates.  Doing that is hard, until you learn it, at which point it's easy.  It requires patience.  I've been skating forever, and doing FI 3 turns confidently on ice for at least 10 years, at speed, more or less in my sleep.  I skate a lot on wheels but until recently have never done proper 3 turns, only toe assisted ones.  It has taken me months to push myself to make the leap, and I am still struggling with the FI turns (and miles away from being able to do backward 3s or brackets, rockers or counters....).  I feel (and doubtless look) like a complete beginner, rushing at the turns and doing all the wrong things that I see others doing when they first learn 3s.

Finally I would say that if you spend 90% of most sessions skating forwards and 10% skating backwards, it's not a surprise that your backwards skating does not progress as much as your forwards.  Maybe just spend whole sessions skating backwards slowly, just by marching (pigeon toed, pick up your knees and put feet down again in same position, avoid the urge to push or swizzle around).  If you do that enough at low speed, you may gain the confidence to expand to stroking and skating faster.

Enjoy the journey. 

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 01:59:34 pm »
I think a lot of my backwards fear is the fact I cant see where I'm going and my coach has made a big deal out of not falling backwards which has worked up the worry. I think it will just take practice which isn't ideal but I know it will benefit me in the end. It's amazing how people can make skating look so effortless when doing so.

Never, ever underestimate the ubiquity of Skating Game Face. Seriously. I look all serene and wafty on ice but underneath that I'm basically trying to avoid what I am certain is imminent death.  ;)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 01:36:02 pm »
I started skating about 3 months ago

I only skate once a week

I think a lot of my backwards fear is the fact I cant see where I'm going

You're doing great!

Sounds perfectly normal, going backwards takes a bit of getting used to.

While concentrating on what you're doing, always be aware of your surroundings.

Skating backwards near the barrier can help; though note open/opening doorways.

There are lots of balancing exercises that you can do off-ice that will help.

In competition you get extra marks for making it look effortless; don't be fooled:
the reality is it's really difficult, and requires a high level of physical ability.
Doing other training will help build your legs.

Peripheral vision extends further down than to the side; look to your shoulder.

If you skate with a partner you'll watch each other's side (kilian hold) & back (waltz hold).

Most figure blades have a vertical finish at the heel end;
I had mine slightly reprofiled to be a bit rounded; less of a trip hazard.

There are plenty of other things to work on besides backwards; keep it varied/interesting.

Also how new are your boots? Can you bend your knees/ankles much yet?
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

SparkleonIce

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 02:57:17 pm »
Thank you everyone for your replies!

My boots are great. I wear Jackson Mystiques, they are slightly uncomfy but they feel better and better each session. Bending my knees is a piece of cake until I go backwards and they go so stiff.. whoops. I was having really bad issues balancing on my left going forwards until my coach moved my blade and It's made such a difference!

With my backwards, I think I just need to focus on it more than my forwards. I'll try against the barrier next time as that seems like a really good idea and a lot less scary.

I will look into doing some off ice to help my balance and improve my strength :) thank you

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy