Author Topic: Adults- where to get dresses? Uk-based dressmakers? Am struggling with google  (Read 1154 times)

Skateordie

I've been skating for about a year, and am aiming for some events either 21/22 or 22/23, and I have precisely one (secondhand) dress that's not just from decathalon. I love it, but I'm gonna need more at SOME point- where does everyone shop? Also, I can't really do off-the-rack nude mesh (I have dark skin) so should I just give up and start saving up for a custom? Thanks!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
If you want something with nude mesh and have a skin tone that is anything other than orange, then your best bet is either completely custom or to hope that Roaring Mouse gets her finger out and sorts out her dress designs, because those will be available with a choice of about 36 different skin tones. Right now, however, she's still trialling designs...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

black

• Skate free
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Crackers

I can recommend Gees Active, Sue & Marty are very helpful (and provided a bag of offcuts when my daughter was doing textiles GCSE).
Both My son And Daughter have their skating wear. Gees Active supply ready made & custom made dresses, trousers etc. and often have sales in their shop.
Their clothing is well made (and trousers survive multiple deliberate knee slides on ice)
Their shop is in Swindon if you want to visit, else you can order online or contact them using the details here.

https://www.geesactive.co.uk/

ChillyMum

If you buy a dress off the rack  eg Jerry’s, Mondor Chloe Noel you run the risk of seeing someone in the same dress.

Custom is the way to go for a one of kind dress. There is no excuse for not matching your skin tone. The major dance sport suppliers have a limited range of colours in solid dyed mesh. In addition Funkifabrics now offer a wide range of ‘Colour me’ skin tones printed on stretch mesh. Note what I said there PRINTED. That means your mesh will be the white base on the wrong side. That shouldn’t be a problem when used on the body and arms and offers a reasonably priced solution.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Custom is the way to go for a one of kind dress. There is no excuse for not matching your skin tone. The major dance sport suppliers have a limited range of colours in solid dyed mesh. In addition Funkifabrics now offer a wide range of ‘Colour me’ skin tones printed on stretch mesh. Note what I said there PRINTED. That means your mesh will be the white base on the wrong side. That shouldn’t be a problem when used on the body and arms and offers a reasonably priced solution.

Yes, they offer 36 different skin tones and you can request a sample sheet showing all of them, in both mesh and ordinary nylon Lycra. It's more expensive that the "nude/skin" offering you'll find in places like Fabric Land, but the chances of a decent match are much, much higher. For all skin tones, not just darker ones! I have yet to find a fabric store that has anything even close to my skin, as I'm basically a bottle of milk with a wig...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Skateordie

I can recommend Gees Active, Sue & Marty are very helpful (and provided a bag of offcuts when my daughter was doing textiles GCSE).
Both My son And Daughter have their skating wear. Gees Active supply ready made & custom made dresses, trousers etc. and often have sales in their shop.
Their clothing is well made (and trousers survive multiple deliberate knee slides on ice)
Their shop is in Swindon if you want to visit, else you can order online or contact them using the details here.

https://www.geesactive.co.uk/

Thank you! :)

Skateordie

If you buy a dress off the rack  eg Jerry’s, Mondor Chloe Noel you run the risk of seeing someone in the same dress.

I feel like seeing someone in the same dress is a bit of a forgone conclusion, given one of mine has been worn by someone else already! ;D But that's good to know about the funkifabrics meshes, thank you!

Helyvic

There is very active second hand sales Groups on Facebook too, including For Sale and Wanted Ice Skating. And there are also Dressmakers in there too.

lostatsea

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy