Author Topic: Hello and thanks from Prague/Czech Adult Skating community  (Read 607 times)

katepilarr

Hello and thanks from Prague/Czech Adult Skating community
« on: July 05, 2021, 01:32:02 pm »

Want to say Hi to everyone, whether we met somewhere in person when I was in the UK /Christmas skating at the Tower of London, Royal Skating Club in Guilford or meet up in Sheffield at Europeans or perhaps somewhere on the ice/ or met online here on the forum.
This forum gave me great start to figure skating  and a chance to experience the friendly and welcoming community that adult skaters in the UK have. Being inspired I have worked on building something like this here in the Czech Republic and 11 years on I think I can say we have moved the iceberg. We now have 430 people in my facebook group, people manage to train with coaches to some degree, there are adult courses, we have adult sections at some competitions, we manage to organise ourselves and hire private ice for adult session. Its not as easy as it is in the UK, and its more expensive but still I am happy with the progress we made. I think back in 2010 most  coaches here didnt even believe adult people can learn to figureskate. Well, we are proving them wrong!
Happy Skating!
skating in Prague and Elgin, Scotland
working on L1 and L2 field moves, upright spin& backspin, single jumps upto loop
www.youtube.com/user/catepilarr

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: Hello and thanks from Prague/Czech Adult Skating community
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 11:16:59 pm »
This is lovely! I haven't met you but I hope to in the future, maybe at a Christmas rink in London...

You've done amazing work in the Czech Republic. Adults definitely skate too!  8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 11:26:18 am »
11 years on I think I can say we have moved the iceberg

Nice moves!

Was this a cultural thing? As in was ice skating was viewed as attempting to be a National/Winter Olympic/Worlds Champion, or not at all.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

katepilarr

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 11:34:47 pm »
Was this a cultural thing? As in was ice skating was viewed as attempting to be a National/Winter Olympic/Worlds Champion, or not at all.

I think it actually is cultural. In the UK  I got the feeling that you generally, as a nation, value enjoynment in any aspect of life. In sport you have different levels for everyone, elite level as well as hobby level and you want people to enjoy what they do, regardless of how high they achieve.  Also adults havent been involved in various sports on hobby level, thats something I feel has evolved over the past years. Ballet is another example, you wouldnt have adult ballet classes a few years ago.

This is lovely! I haven't met you but I hope to in the future, maybe at a Christmas rink in London...
Thats lovely, thank you!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 11:38:20 pm by katepilarr »
working on L1 and L2 field moves, upright spin& backspin, single jumps upto loop

katepilarr

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 11:36:58 pm »
I think it actually is cultural. In the UK  I got the feeling that you generally, as a nation, value enjoynment in any aspect of life. In sport you have different levels for everyone, elite level as well as hobby level and you want people to enjoy what they do, regardless of how high they achieve.  Also adults havent been involved in various sports on hobby level, thats something I feel has evolved over the past years. Ballet is another example, you wouldnt have adult ballet classes a few years ago.

Thats lovely, thank you!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy