Author Topic: Good skate shop near Reading or Slough  (Read 1068 times)

Annieskt

Good skate shop near Reading or Slough
« on: July 01, 2021, 09:53:41 pm »
Hello all,

I have been skating for a while and always have a feet pain particularly at the arch.  I always took it as norm, as even it starts really painful, it normally goes away in 15 mins.  It just recently occurs to me that I may not have the right boots.  I’m currently wearing Eden Overture.  Have tried insole with and without arch support, not much difference.

I’m thinking to have a proper fit in a skates shop.  I live in Reading but currently skate in Slough rink (after they closed slough!).  I had a search in the forum and read people have recommended Everglides which is a bit far.  Still, would be willing to make a trip for it if there is no better one in my neighbourhood.  Does anyone know if there is a nice skates shop near Reading or Slough, that can do fitting and have a good collection of skates that I can try on?  Thanks!

Annie
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 11:16:48 pm by Annieskt »

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Good skate shop near Reading or Slough
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 10:47:06 pm »
The London Skate Shop in Leinster Terrace is worth a try though suggest phoning before a trip to check what they have in.  It's not far from Paddington so doable from Slough or Reading by train.

Annieskt

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 11:18:42 pm »
The London Skate Shop in Leinster Terrace is worth a try though suggest phoning before a trip to check what they have in.  It's not far from Paddington so doable from Slough or Reading by train.

Thanks transmissinfotheflame!  I will give them a try.  Thought there would be some skate shop near Bracknell, given there was an ice rink there for years.  Where did people normally get their skates I wonder.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 07:30:17 am »
Sorry I don't know the Bracknell area.  Is there not a rink shop at Slough?  There is also a rink at Basingstoke.  Near Reading there was Les Westaway at Tilehurst but I don't think he is working any more.

Annieskt

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 01:25:49 pm »
Sorry I don't know the Bracknell area.  Is there not a rink shop at Slough?  There is also a rink at Basingstoke.  Near Reading there was Les Westaway at Tilehurst but I don't think he is working any more.

Thanks!  There is a rink shop at Slough but never seems to open when I was there, even the reception said they were open.  The one in London might be more doable.  Or I might pick a day and drive to Everglides. 

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 01:32:49 pm »
There's a rink shop at Streatham.  If you're in London for the day I suppose you could consider trying that too.  There's Skate Attack in Green Lanes too.  And Slick Willies in Kensington though they are more wheel oriented.  I could not honestly say any of these places would definitely give you great fitting advice, but I tend to think that you really need to judge for yourself what feels right for your foot.

Annieskt

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 01:38:53 pm »
There's a rink shop at Streatham.  If you're in London for the day I suppose you could consider trying that too.  There's Skate Attack in Green Lanes too.  And Slick Willies in Kensington though they are more wheel oriented.  I could not honestly say any of these places would definitely give you great fitting advice, but I tend to think that you really need to judge for yourself what feels right for your foot.

Agree.  Easiest thing would be to try them on and skate for a bit, though I don’t suppose any of the shops would be able to do that.  May have to just trust the fit and feel at the time when I try them.  Hope this don’t turn into a too expensive exercise!

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 01:46:24 pm »
At Streatham they certainly used to sell secondhand skates, which I think they let you try.  But obviously not new ones.  It's part knowledge, part luck and part trial and error.  It's expensive, or can be, but worth it to get skates that let you enjoy your passion.  I hope you find something.

There are rinks at Oxford, Guildford and Milton Keynes too.  I know MK has a shop, not sure about the others.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 11:19:50 am »
There was a skate shop at the (old) Bracknell ice rink, but it closed with the rink;
https://www.facebook.com/BracknellSkateShop/

Seems that it has relocated to the Slough ice rink;
https://www.facebook.com/skatehangarslough/
"Opens on Sunday"
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy