Author Topic: Excruciating Feet  (Read 2693 times)

Chlri

Re: Excruciating Feet
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 09:12:25 am »
Thank you so much!

The skates themselves had a different size than my usual shoe size or skate size (although I know skate brands may differ). My toes were swimming at the end - they didn't touch the end of the boot and would of had to slide my foot down in the boot to reach the end. I had my feet measured in a skate shop and they said my skate size was smaller than I thought (I'm a shoe size 7). :)

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 09:44:18 am »
Thank you so much!

The skates themselves had a different size than my usual shoe size or skate size (although I know skate brands may differ). My toes were swimming at the end - they didn't touch the end of the boot and would of had to slide my foot down in the boot to reach the end. I had my feet measured in a skate shop and they said my skate size was smaller than I thought (I'm a shoe size 7). :)

Interesting.  Maybe the shape of the Jackson just suits you better - worth trying to get hold of a pair in your size, to try.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 06:23:35 pm »
Also, is it possible that me being overweight is a factor?

Keep ice skating; you use the most energy for these 3 things;

- Movement; you're constantly moving.
- Keeping warm; it's freezing cold.
- Brain power; you've gotta really be using your head.

It's a perfect sport to help O0
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2021, 09:55:46 pm »
Sorry I'm a bit late to this party...

As the Arthritic Queen of Sore Feet, a couple of things have hit me right in the eye with this.

1.  Sounds to me that Edea are really not the right boot for you.

2.  You need to find a decent fitter with a good stock of boots for you to try.

3.  Don't clench your toes when you skate.  I strongly suspect you may be subconsciously clenching them inside the boot when you step on the ice, as it doesn't seem to happen when you're wearing your boots off-ice with guards on. It's quite a common reaction to the element (let's face it, it's terrifyingly slippery!) and I've known it be the cause of a lot of foot pain in many, many skaters. It's also quite difficult to clench your toes when you are jumping as you're reaching upwards. And when spinning, well, who knows which way is even up...?  ;)

Don't assume that it's always weight that's the problem. It rarely is. It's better to be heavier and strong than light but lacking in strength and energy. Work on health, strength and flexibility off ice as well as on and you'll be doing yourself a great favour and really helping your skating journey.  8)

Good luck!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Annieskt

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2021, 01:06:18 am »
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all your replies! So much to try and consider! :)

Today I went to the rink dreading my lesson. I've not wanted to even think about skating in the week because of the pain, but when I went today I noticed they had some Jackson's for sale. They were a size too big for me and probably too narrow, but I put my insoles in and laced them up as well as I could.

They let me borrow them for the lesson and I tried all sorts of things. Footwork, crossovers etc. I made allowances in my head for the fact that they are unfamiliar skates, too bigs and such. There was some cramping, but nowhere near my usual cramping. Hopefully if I got a different brand for my feet, the pain would go away?

Also, is it possible that me being overweight is a factor?

Thanks everyone!! You have no idea how much I appreciate all your help, advice, ideas...

Interesting to read your experience, think I am of a similar problem, and I wear a Eden Overture too.  Though I get foot pain first 15 mins mainly at the arch, and it seems to gradually go away afterwards.  I’m wondering if you have switched to Jackson’s?  If yes, is your pain better?

Chlri

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2021, 09:32:29 pm »
Hi everyone! Just thought I would give a little update now that the school term has ended and I have my life back again haha.

I have tried lots and lots to no avail. I have tried various socks (no socks, thin socks, insulated socks, damp socks), I have lost some weight, I have built up strength with a PT, my coach has looked at my skating technique, loosened and tightened my laces, taken preventative pain medication...

I thought I would bite the bullet and have gone to Everglides in Gosport today to be fitted for some new skates. I spent 2 hours trying on boots and have chosen a Risport RF3. I was very surprised as I thought the brand would be incompatible with my awkward feet, but I found the lower heel much more comfortable (fingers crossed that translates to the ice!!). The skates have been ordered so will give them a try once they arrive and have been fitted/heat moulded etc.

Thank you so so so so so much to everyone for all of your amazing help!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy