Author Topic: How to get involved in UK skating community - Inclusive Skating, community hubs?  (Read 1100 times)

EveO

Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie to this forum and new to ice skating as a sport in general.

Over lockdown (especially in the lull of last year without attending sixth form in-person) I became obsessed with watching free programmes. The artistry and physical ability required to skate at any level wows and inspires me. I'm learning how to differentiate jumps and identify spirals: something I would've regarded as useless knowledge not too long ago is so fascinating to me today.

My question is this...
As someone who doesn't partake in the sport, just an enthusiastic watcher, and is located in an English town with little going on how do I get in touch with all of you wonderful UK skaters and general skating enthusiasts? This forum looks to be fairly active and supportive, but I'm wondering if there's any other online community hubs I could access. I've not got much of a skating knowledge base but I'm really enthusiastic to learn more. As an overweight/nearing to obese teen I've had past experiences where I've been laughed at in casual and semi-professional sport, so I don't feel comfortable hitting the rink in skates just yet, haha.

I'm wondering about volunteering for Inclusive Skating, not only to pour otherwise wasted free time into an organisation related to this new hobby of mine but also because widening participation to sport is of personal interest to me. I've had work experience in a special needs school and volunteer with some disabled young people as a Guider and it's great when an organisation can nab kids enrichment opportunities they're often excluded from. Not sure to what extent I can help out as a 17 y.o with no experience (admin, tech support stuff maybe) but if anyone has more information about the organisation or similar skating projects I'd love to lend my time somehow.

Thanks, kind people! I'm rather clueless, if that wasn't already obvious  :-[   
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 06:16:18 pm by EveO »

black

• Skate free
Welcome to ice skating; give it a try sometime if you can; everyone starts somewhere.

Also training somewhere cold increases your metabolic rate more.

I've deleted facebook long ago, but there were some groups on there for ice skating.

In terms of non-skating, this is probably dependent on where you are in the country; a good place to start:

https://www.iceskating.org.uk/get-into-ice-skating

Rink clubs need volunteers/organisers for regular sessions & seasonal shows.

Competition events; anything from runners, time keeping, music, technical panel.

Having some form of first aid certification might be useful; learning sign language might also be helpful.

If you're handy with a sewing machine, and have an eye for fashion, making new outfits could be an opportunity.

Also some local schools run rink sessions who might need some help with inclusive skaters.

If you're near Slough -> https://spiceskating.org/

You could become a fitness trainer, specializing for skaters; flexibility, psychologist, movement therapy, balance, rehabilitation, plyometrics, etc.

Hope that helps.

Forgot to add; you could also do music editing & choreography.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 07:57:50 pm by black »
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

EveO

Thanks a bunch! Needed some jumping off points to get involved and you've given me tons of places to start looking  :)

black

• Skate free
Cool.

Also for those that support & promote the Word of God, there is Sports Chaplaincy;

https://sportschaplaincy.org.uk/what-does-a-chaplain-do/

English ice hockey is involved with such service;

https://sportschaplaincy.org.uk/england/
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...

My question is this...
As someone who doesn't partake in the sport, just an enthusiastic watcher, and is located in an English town with little going on how do I get in touch with all of you wonderful UK skaters and general skating enthusiasts? This forum looks to be fairly active and supportive, but I'm wondering if there's any other online community hubs I could access. I've not got much of a skating knowledge base but I'm really enthusiastic to learn more. As an overweight/nearing to obese teen I've had past experiences where I've been laughed at in casual and semi-professional sport, so I don't feel comfortable hitting the rink in skates just yet, haha.

Skating is a very inclusive sport and you'll find people of every age, shape and size happily participating. Any coach - and pretty much every skater - will tell you that progress is not linear and everybody's journey is different, so you really shouldn't let your unfortunate past experiences with sport - and very unsporting people! - put you off.  Go on. Give it a try. Many rinks run Learn to Skate courses in school holidays as well as term time.  :)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

[size=78%]In terms of Inclusive Skating, it's a tricky one. They're based in Scotland and are a tiny, tiny charity, so tend to need specific skills, particularly at the moment as all events are being held virtually. If you wanted to support them though, they are always in need of funding so you could raise funds for them, also like their page on Facebook and share what they're doing. When in person events come back, depending on where you live, you could reach out and offer to help in some way. [/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
But as a visually impaired skater their work has genuinely been life-changing for me, so thank you for thinking of them :)

[size=78%]Also, I agree with WednesdayMarch - anyone can learn to skate, and I'm someone for whom PE was basically ritual humiliation under the guise of education. Everyone is on their own journey and there are skaters of all shapes and sizes. [/size]
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Belles

Hi apologies if I am posting incorrectly.
If you are London base let's join up and be skating buddies. Lots of rinks are running classes. I am extremely as school is on holiday.
Take the first step with me. I dare anyone to snigger at us when we glide on the rink.👍👍👍👍💯💯💯💯🎖⛸⛸⛸🎿🎿🎿🎿🏒🏑🏒🏑🏒🏑

left][/left]
Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie to this forum and new to ice skating as a sport in general.

Over lockdown (especially in the lull of last year without attending sixth form in-person) I became obsessed with watching free programmes. The artistry and physical ability required to skate at any level wows and inspires me. I'm learning how to differentiate jumps and identify spirals: something I would've regarded as useless knowledge not too long ago is so fascinating to me today.

My question is this...

I'm wondering about volunteering for Inclusive Skating, not only to pour otherwise wasted free time into an organisation related to this new hobby of mine but also because widening participation to sport is of personal interest to me. I've had work experience in a special needs school and volunteer with some disabled young people as a Guider and it's great when an organisation can nab kids enrichment opportunities they're often excluded from. Not sure to what extent I can help out as a 17 y.o with no experience (admin, tech support stuff maybe) but if anyone has more information about the organisation or similar skating projects I'd love to lend my time somehow.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy