Author Topic: Oberstdorf Adults 2021  (Read 1450 times)

black

• Skate free
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Oberstdorf Adults 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 10:33:20 am »
The rink has been closed since the start of November, scheduled to be closed until end of Jan.

It would be lovely to think that they could hold a competition in November of this year but I would not bet much money on it.

The current fiasco that is the Australian Open tennis shows that running a "covid-safe" sports event, even with a huge budget, is fraught with difficulty.

I am glad I went to Oberstdorf when I did.  If the rink ever reopens, it is worth a visit.  By far the nicest rink I have ever skated in, and the town is also delightful.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 01:11:26 pm »
Sadly you were right; abgesagt / canceled
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 01:26:56 pm »
Nebelhorn Trophy went ahead last month with limited spectators (because of covid) but they say the covid requirements for the Adult competition are too onerous - full explanation here: https://tramino.s3.amazonaws.com/s/eissportzentrum/1125756/cancellation-isu-adult2021.pdf

They hope to do it next spring:

"All these Guidelines and knowing the character of the event as a happy get-together on ice and other places, convinced us to cancel the planned competition in Oberstdorf, but will do all efforts for the “ISU Adult Competition on May 16th to May 21st, 2022 in Oberstdorf”. We are convinced, as it is Springtime, that the CORONA restrictions will be lowered significantly and that we will be able to host an Event, which is appropriate to the Adult Skating Movement and the Skaters. Please understand the decision"

I think they are in cloud cuckoo land.  This seems to be a common delusion - "normality" is always just around the corner.  What do they think will be different next Spring?  Everyone who wants to be vaxxed has been vaxxed now, we've tried the lockdowns, travel restrictions, mass testing, masks.  What's the exit strategy?  I don't think there is one - this is now it, the new normal. 

black

• Skate free
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 05:01:16 pm »
NISA/BIS has just announced an adult open competition (week 6) next year; 7th - 10th February @ Sheffield.

https://www.iceskating.org.uk/post/bis-to-host-adult-open-in-february

Considering rink attendance, I wonder if they'll get enough skaters though.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 05:23:29 am »
Considering rink attendance, I wonder if they'll get enough skaters though.

Just to add this (25th October 2021) blog post;
https://www.sportengland.org/blogs/public-leisures-only-partially-recovered-pandemic-so-what-happens-next

.."the pandemic has hit public leisure hard"..
.."In August 2021 the number of individuals using these facilities was 62% of the total who visited in August 2019"..

It is interesting to note what Tim Hollingsworth, the current chief executive of Sport England, doesn't mention in this post.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 06:29:31 am »
Seems like mainly irrelevant waffle to me, and as usual they've got their hand out for more money.  I'd like to see the sample size of the survey that concludes facilities refurbished more recently are getting their customers back faster - if it is small then the results may be a bit skewed and I think you'd need to control for other factors such as the demographic of their users.

He mentions climate change and inequality - obligatory these days - and while these may or may not be worthy causes I'm not convinced they are going to make much difference to recovering their pre-covid usage levels.  Ultimately it's principally fear and uncertainty that are keeping people away, and I am not sure the genie can be put back into that bottle any time soon, even if the authorities wanted to.  If they put in place more "safety" measures they will alienate a certain section of their customer base, people like me, and at the same time reduce their capacity because of limitations on number, and if they don't put in place "safety" measures they will not tempt the slightly fearful back.

And of course the leisure sector, like every other sector, never really challenged the narrative, just accepted it as inevitable.  Of course it would probably not have made much difference, but it's hard to have too much sympathy with parties that didn't even put up a token resistance.  Sports and leisure facilities were never forced to close in Sweden.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy