Author Topic: coming back to skating after 7 years  (Read 819 times)

naomiisntplant

coming back to skating after 7 years
« on: January 19, 2021, 12:53:34 am »
i used to take ice skating pretty seriously as a 7 year old. i stopped when my coach said the next step is competition because we couldnt afford lessons anymore and competition was a little too much at the moment. recently i went ice skating with my friends at my local rink and i was very surprised to see i was still able to balance really well! i was afraid i "forgot how" over 7 years of not skating, but i was able to relearn how to hockey brake and do crossovers within an hour and i realized how much i still love ice skating.

that leads into my actual question: i am currently 15 and a sophomore in high school, is it too late to "relearn" ice skating? i plan to go back to lessons soon, but would it be too weird if i wanted to get back to competition level again?

transmissionoftheflame

Re: coming back to skating after 7 years
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 08:15:49 am »
I started at age 40, still skating 15 years later.  I have not much natural talent - mainly just hard work and good teachers.

If you put the work in you will improve a lot and enjoy your skating.  As for competitions, I don't see why not though personally I would set different goals - just to enjoy it and get better and see what happens from there.  But I am not a competition oriented person.

You are lucky to have ice to skate on.  In the UK rinks are all closed indefinitely, and have been closed for most of the last year.

Good luck!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: coming back to skating after 7 years
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 10:30:49 am »
Wouldn't be weird at all. Just take a look at Instagram and you'll find hundreds of people your age doing exactly the same thing.  8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy