Author Topic: Painful Boots  (Read 822 times)

Tashie

Painful Boots
« on: December 16, 2020, 12:31:26 pm »
Hi all, first post here from a veteran although in many ways still a beginner skater. Been skating years with long breaks and never got beyond a very wobbly three turn or tentative backward crossover.
Last bought boots and skates about 12 years ago and went for a mid priced pair, a lot of help in the shop with fitting but they hurt then and they still hurt now!
Might sound daft but are skates actually supposed to hurt? I don't recall this when I was younger. A bad skater may blame her boots but I am honestly in so much pain in them I am thinking about that and not the movement I am supposed to be practicing.
However, I bought a pair a size up just on ebay and cannot get on with them either. I was having lessons at that point and the coach said they were too big so the rocker was in the wrong place!
I seem to be going in circles and would so love 2021 to be the year I finally complete the skate levels at least.

black

Re: Painful Boots
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 06:33:14 pm »
Perhaps a little to start with, or if you do more than usual; but no, boots should not hurt.

Whereabouts on your feet/ankle/leg is the issue?
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

WednesdayMarch

Re: Painful Boots
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 05:59:32 pm »
The short answer is no.  No, they're not supposed to hurt.  Because when they hurt, your brain will register the pain before it registers - let alone deals with - anything you're asking it to do, so there's no way you're going to progress because you're too busy dealing with the pain in your feet to trust them to do anything you might be asking them to do.  It's a total no win situation.  Yes, there is often a bit of discomfort when you break in a brand new pair of boots but it should soon go.

Boot fitting is a minefield, especially if you don't have a decent skate shop and/or fitter near you.  I am 200 miles away from the nearest place and had to rely on my own years of experience and the advice of some even more experienced friends who knew of boot developments that had taken place while I wasn't skating.

In order to help you, we need to know a lot more about you, ie your weight and style of skating, and shape of your foot and any other things that may need to be taken into consideration.  The different brands of boots vary a lot.  Some are better for wider feet, some for  narrower.  Some may well surprise you in those respects.  Price doesn't always signify the right stiffness or even quality.  Give us some more info, and we'll try to help.   :)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy