Author Topic: Super validating dresd  (Read 1283 times)

Fluffelina

Super validating dresd
« on: November 02, 2020, 07:12:37 pm »
Hello, I am quite new to this skating thing (been at it for about a year, although a lot of that was destroyed by a broken wrist and then lockdown 1), but I have gotten ok.

A lot of the ladies (of a certain age and ability, just like me) at my rink talk about competition dresses, they all have some, so I got one. And in a moment of madness I wore it to training today (it is my last session before lockdown).

Omg, you could see the delight in the eyes of the girls. One woman came over to apologise as she had been staring, but wanted to say that it was only because i looked so pretty in the dress. I really felt amazing.

I am not that pretty, but that dress is my super power. They should be mandatory! So going to wear it again.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: Super validating dresd
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 08:31:49 pm »
Fabulous.  Well done.  Skating is lovely in a nice dress or skirt.  You can twirl...   8)  Many of the ladies on our Wednesday morning Coach & Skate session wear skirts or dresses, especially on "Dance Week" which is the second Wednesday of the month.  It's fun.

I have heard tales of people who have never worn a skirt or dress in training and who have been very uncomfortable when it came to competition, so...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 07:07:14 pm »
Well done Fluffelina, & WednesdayMarch; good point.

When I first did a practice session with competition clothes on I was shocked at how different it felt.
From then on I've always practiced with smart 'competition grade' trousers on, rather than 'training' ones.
The top half it didn't feel quite so different between a sports top and a smart shirt however.

If you're confident in what you're wearing you'll skate better.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 07:43:08 pm »

If you're confident in what you're wearing you'll skate better.

Absolutely.  A new skating costume always needs a practice run, too.  Just in case...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Loops

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 09:08:32 am »
I'm the only skater in my rink that wears a skirt when I skate.  I like being properly dressed (as old-school me sees it).

I'm so glad you got out there with your dress and enjoyed it!  Beautiful things should not be packed away in a closet- they should be brought out and enjoyed.

Good on ya!

katepilarr

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 11:28:52 am »
Lovely to read that you had so much joy with your dress!

I remember back when I first started skating /over 10 years ago/ how skating in a skirt was somewhat of a goal that was hard to achieve. Back then hardly any adult skaters skated here in CZ and there were basically no skating shops so we used just normal skirts over leggings and that was all we dared anyway.
skating in Prague and Elgin, Scotland
working on L1 and L2 field moves, upright spin& backspin, single jumps upto loop
www.youtube.com/user/catepilarr

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy