Author Topic: Question about new skates  (Read 1271 times)

rayonnera

Question about new skates
« on: October 17, 2020, 01:18:56 pm »
First post here... O:

Hi everyone,

Before lockdown I was considering getting new skates because I was beginning to feel that my current ones (Graf 500) weren't giving me enough ankle support, and because while they are okay for me fit-wise I think I could find better.
I was working at about Skate UK Bronze level (though I'm sure I might need to backtrack a little after such a long break, I hope to be back up to standard soon enough!!!) and have every intention of progressing as far as I can!

My question is: After this long break, do you think it would be a better idea to keep using my current skates for now, so that my body can adjust to skating the way it remembers, without dealing with the extra level of new skates? Or do you think I should try to get new skates before the rink opens again, so that I'm not having to adjust to the ice and then re-adjust to new skates soon after?

Hope that makes sense! Thanks in advance for any advice; I still feel like I don't know all that much about skates despite what research I've tried to do... :-\

(Also, not the point of this thread, but if you happen to have recommendations for my kind of level, I'd be happy to hear them too.)

black

• Skate free
Re: Question about new skates
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 11:53:44 am »
I was beginning to feel that my current ones (Graf 500) weren't giving me enough ankle support

Get a second opinion from your coach; don't risk it with potentially dodgy kit.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 02:27:18 pm »
Good advice as always from Black.

Whether those skates are right for you depends on the fit and factors such as your weight, skating style as well as your level.  Heavier people doing deep edges with big knee and ankle bends may need more support.

If it was me I would do the first few sessions on my old skates, to get back to some kind of feel for the ice, and then start to look at changing - but it partly depends on how the boots are working for you and if they are broken down, a very poor fit or offering really minimal support, which could be risky.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 05:50:43 pm »
I'd go for new boots and blades now  No point in getting used to one thing and then having to do it all over again in a short space of time.  Depending on your skating style and build, there are many boots that could suit you and the easiest way to find them is to visit a reputable skate shop and be fitted properly.  Personally, I'm a big fan of Alison Holden at Al's Skate Shop, which is somewhere up in the Frozen North (I'm in Cornwall) but other skate shops are available.  Just don't be tempted to spend a fortune on boots that are way above your standard because a less than ethical seller/shop says, "Oh, it's not possible to overboot as an adult".  It totally is.  And you'll either set your progress back because you don't have the right muscle strength and development to actually bend your ankles enough (this affects spirals and jumps as well as the obvious sit spins and teapots) or potentially injure yourself.

Blades are way easier.  The answer is John Wilson Coronation Ace.   8)  Or MK Professional if you prefer, but I'd pick the Ace every time.

Good luck!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Loops

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 06:33:06 am »
I'd go for new boots and blades now  No point in getting used to one thing and then having to do it all over again in a short space of time.  Depending on your skating style and build, there are many boots that could suit you and the easiest way to find them is to visit a reputable skate shop and be fitted properly.  Personally, I'm a big fan of Alison Holden at Al's Skate Shop, which is somewhere up in the Frozen North (I'm in Cornwall) but other skate shops are available.  Just don't be tempted to spend a fortune on boots that are way above your standard because a less than ethical seller/shop says, "Oh, it's not possible to overboot as an adult".  It totally is. And you'll either set your progress back because you don't have the right muscle strength and development to actually bend your ankles enough (this affects spirals and jumps as well as the obvious sit spins and teapots) or potentially injure yourself.

Blades are way easier.  The answer is John Wilson Coronation Ace.   8)  Or MK Professional if you prefer, but I'd pick the Ace every time.

Good luck!

Oh yes, yes it is.  My current motto is "when in doubt, go down" (to less stiff boots). Forget about spirals, jumps, etc....just getting good pushes or basic edges can be impacted.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 08:00:13 am »
Oh yes, yes it is.  My current motto is "when in doubt, go down" (to less stiff boots). Forget about spirals, jumps, etc....just getting good pushes or basic edges can be impacted.

YES!!!  Loops, you have made my day.  8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy