Author Topic: New NISA/BIS levels  (Read 6424 times)

black

• Skate free
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: New NISA/BIS levels
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 09:47:12 am »
Didn't miss it.  NISA/BIS really know how to cheese off adult skaters, don't they? And adult skaters should be a lucrative source of income of handled correctly rather than being taunted with mostly unachievable goals.  I'm hoping there will be a properly thought out 'Adult Track' test structure unveiled soon but...

In an ideal world, there would be a two track system where people are free to choose either competitive or recreational paths but joined up thinking is sadly lacking at BIS.  :o

I'm not adversely affected by it.  I seem to recall that one of the things I hate most in the Field Moves (spirals on the flat of the blade) has been scrapped, so it's actually better for me!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 09:05:59 pm »
Can you summarise what has changed?  Just curious - I quit NISA years ago and got off the treadmill.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 12:42:26 pm »
All the 'basic' stuff stays the same; https://www.national-ice-centre.com/ice-skating-lessons-progression/

It's the 1-10 NISA judged levels that are rejigged.

Now it appears to be graded as: Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Basic Novice, Intermediate Novice, Advanced Novice, Junior, Senior.

It looks like they've set them to international competitive standard?
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 12:45:03 pm »
Yes, that makes sense.  Thanks.  IIRC hardest jump in L10 elements is a 2Lz.  I think that doesn't even count in senior comps...

Loops

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 07:12:06 am »
That's a bummer and is certainly not considering that vast majority of skaters. There was, and imho should be, a difference between passing at any level, and what it takes to be competitive at that level. Skating well, and being a superstar should not be tied together.

Although the thought does occur to me that this might be a way to prevent sandbagging in the standard track.  In the US, a strategy for those showing olympic potential was to put off testing as long as possible (usually tied to age) to stay in lower categories so they'd gain a better record, reputation amongst the judges, and to intimidate the other competitors. Mind games.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 09:56:28 am »
I believe these days NISA are giving people test passes from doing competitions, in order to try and prevent sandbagging.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 03:58:49 pm »
That's a bummer and is certainly not considering that vast majority of skaters. There was, and imho should be, a difference between passing at any level, and what it takes to be competitive at that level. Skating well, and being a superstar should not be tied together.

It's a bit of a minefield for BIS, really.  Whilst a lot of adults would welcome a proper "adult track", there are quite a number of others who are vociferously against it as they want to feel that they are just as good as the children when they pass a test.  These tend to be adults who have either skated a lot as youngsters or who took it up at an early enough stage in adulthood, and with enough resources that they can train extensively to get a higher standard of skating.  It's a difficult one.  I think it will be nigh on impossible to please everybody!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Loops

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 05:05:14 pm »
It's a bit of a minefield for BIS, really.  Whilst a lot of adults would welcome a proper "adult track", there are quite a number of others who are vociferously against it as they want to feel that they are just as good as the children when they pass a test.  These tend to be adults who have either skated a lot as youngsters or who took it up at an early enough stage in adulthood, and with enough resources that they can train extensively to get a higher standard of skating.  It's a difficult one.  I think it will be nigh on impossible to please everybody!

Here in France, we have an adult track.  I have the choice of whether I pass standard or adult in testing sessions.  During adult competitions, validation is automatic if the adult standards are passed.  Fwiw, I skated as a kid, and tested up into the pre-silvers (=Bronze here in France, 14, European and Foxtrot).  When I returned, I thought I was going to test standard, but then I realized that it was hard enough to pass under the adult track!  I don't see what BIS can't have both and give people the choice.

katepilarr

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 11:39:03 am »
I did notice somewhere that the NISA levels changed. Now I started to look into what it actually means. I dont understand why they are changing it and not just once but twice in a couple of years?

I havent been on the forum much in the past years - its nice to see its a bit more alive again.
skating in Prague and Elgin, Scotland
working on L1 and L2 field moves, upright spin& backspin, single jumps upto loop
www.youtube.com/user/catepilarr

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 11:13:38 pm »
The ways of BIS/NISA are a mystery.  :(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy