Author Topic: Celebrating the small victories!  (Read 1104 times)

Mieke_the_Hobbit

Celebrating the small victories!
« on: October 09, 2020, 05:30:27 pm »
I stopped skating in mid-2017 due to a battle with an eating disorder (the fact that it was the primary source of my terrible mental health and physical deterioration was something I actually only realised once I returned). I started again in late 2019, and 2.5 months into lessons the rinks shut because of *waves hands around*

Since my return, especially post-lockdown, I’ve been trying to not fall into my bad habits of expecting too much too quickly, and being overly tough on myself. I regained my jumps a lot quicker than I expected - hurrah for muscle memory! - although my spins are still kinda terrible. I’ve started lessons with a second coach at the rink I visit more frequently (MK - I also skate at Ally Pally but the cost of travel limits my visits now), and having a second pair of eyes and a different teaching perspective has definitely been beneficial. One tactic I’ve been trying to employ is to celebrate the positives no matter what, so here is my most recent achievement.

I started lutz last week in London - I have done a little work on the takeoff before during a training camp years ago, and my MK coach has covered the entry edge very briefly, but I never had a lutz even before my big hiatus. Yesterday I managed to be brave enough to rotate it! Coach videoed the third attempt, which was the second time I managed to actually get around; he did predict I’d manage to get at least one on one foot by the end of the session and I managed two, although they had no running edge whatsoever.

It’s not very pretty, it’s underrotated and there’s heaps else wrong with it, but it’s a start and I’m happy enough to share it. I’ve linked the video below. Tips are definitely welcome.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGH54HuF6E8/?igshid=ly09nmy3tezf

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Celebrating the small victories!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 08:49:27 pm »
That's great to hear - well done.  The rink looks nice and quiet.  I surmise from the tags on the clip that your coach at AP is John Hamer.  My daughter had him for jumps and spins - he is a lovely chap and a great coach.  Enjoy the journey.

Mieke_the_Hobbit

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 08:58:18 pm »
I surmise from the tags on the clip that your coach at AP is John Hamer.

Yes! I’ve been with John since 2016, after David Carter left. I feel very fortunate to have him as a coach, he’s a true pillar of support for me. 

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 09:28:17 pm »
Yes, John is a diamond.  Funny, my other daughter had David Carter, who was also a fine coach.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 06:49:46 pm »
Well done!  That's a great achievement!  8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 09:09:16 am »
Yesterday I managed to be brave enough to rotate it!

You’ve done the hardest part, which is actually having the guts to do it - well done!

Tips? think of the Olympic moto; Citius, Altius, Fortius -> Faster, Higher, Stronger.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy