Author Topic: Dancing on Ice 2021  (Read 2549 times)

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Dancing on Ice 2021
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 12:52:29 pm »
I remember sitting in the seats at Alexandra Palace one day, quite high up, when Hanretty had just got on the ice to warm up.  He was doing a simple power pull exercise but the sound of his edges crunching was fearsome.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 07:44:49 am »
Mark Hanretty has beautiful technique and passes some of it on to his DOI partners.  Even if they don't have the nerve to skate on their own, they still generally have the best crossovers!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 04:37:05 pm »
Nice to see Hamish is back in too!
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2020, 10:12:02 pm »
Strange that they brought Hamish back after all the trouble last year, and yet Alex Murphy - who won it and is massively popular - was axed.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

black

• Skate free
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2021, 02:24:24 pm »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9105191/Torvill-Dean-skate-wild-time-recreate-Olympic-winning-Bolero.html

Not going to read anything on the Daily Nazi site but I did watch the programme and thoroughly enjoyed it.   Now they've done their best for climate change, it would be nice if they did their best for UK skaters and lobbied the Government into changing the classification of ice rinks to sports rather than entertainment venues.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2021, 03:01:08 pm »
I read the Mail.  Does that make me a Nazi?

Ice rinks are a curious mixture of sports and entertainment, but people who enjoy or benefit from or work in both have a right to do so - each to their own.  I don't see why rinks should get special treatment.

It's moot anyway as rinks are mainly indoors and most of the UK is in Tier 4 or will be soon at which point all indoor sport stops anyway, and all the rinks will go bust if they haven't already, due to being closed indefinitely or their business model being utterly ruined by restrictions on numbers due to social distancing.

Ice skating in this country is effectively finished now.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2021, 05:06:42 pm »
I read the Mail.  Does that make me a Nazi?

I sincerely hope not, but it does mean that you are subject to a bombardment of right wing propaganda.  I had to study the use of language in the media as part of my English A-Level and I think it's safe to say that my entire class was absolutely horrified when we broke it down.  The worst manipulator of the readership was the Daily Mail, by a long way.  I studied Russian as well and it outdid Pravda in insidious hatred.

Ice rinks are a curious mixture of sports and entertainment, but people who enjoy or benefit from or work in both have a right to do so - each to their own.  I don't see why rinks should get special treatment.

It's moot anyway as rinks are mainly indoors and most of the UK is in Tier 4 or will be soon at which point all indoor sport stops anyway, and all the rinks will go bust if they haven't already, due to being closed indefinitely or their business model being utterly ruined by restrictions on numbers due to social distancing.

Ice skating in this country is effectively finished now.

What you do appear to be now, however, is the Voice of Doom.  Whether this is influenced by your choice of reading material would be an interesting point for a different thread.  Not that many people would be keen to read it as I suspect it would just depress us all even more!

Happy New Year.  Let's hope for a better one.  With some sort of skating for us all.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy