Author Topic: AQA GCSE figure skating specifications  (Read 388 times)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

Re: AQA GCSE figure skating specifications
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 09:25:47 pm »
I know there's things in the pipeline but it's not through BIS - there's no wiggle room with them, which is why I've got to work, work and work a bit more to get my level 1 tests, to do my assistant coaching qualification. I might, if my skating can get there, be able to get my Skate UK coaching qualification, by passing my level 3 tests, but that'll be as high as I could go.

Interestingly I pick up skating theory quite easily. It's putting it into practice that takes me ages!
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Finished Skate UK: 29/11/2018
Inclusive Skater :)

black

• Skate free
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 10:02:28 am »
Just to add, I've seen ice skate coaches turn up at rinks on crutches, (injury) and older coaches coach from the barrier.

Regarding NISA/BIS; I would 'swing for the fence'.

ISU Code of Ethics 12th August 2020 (comm 2342 replaces 2215 with immediate effect)
https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/24841-2342-isu-code-of-ethics-2020/file

Page 2; scope covers all individuals (coaches), and on page 4; Article 4 Discrimination:

"..shall not discriminate in any kind against anyone on the basis of reasons such as.." "..or athletic ability."

So if you prevent somebody from becoming a coach based on athletic ability rather than their ability to do their job it would be contrary to this.

There are aspects that would need to considered however, such as first aid if a pupil had an accident during training.

There are other general coaching qualification in the UK that could be used to demonstrate coaching ability like;
BTEC: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/btec-nationals/sports-coaching-and-development-2019.html
City & Guilds: https://www.cityandguilds.com/qualifications-and-apprenticeships/sport-and-recreation/sport-and-active-leisure/4961-coaching

Getting the ISU on-board would mean it would filter down the the national bodies of sport in each country.
Sliding on frozen water is the easy part of ice skating.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 09:24:03 pm »
I know there's things in the pipeline but it's not through BIS - there's no wiggle room with them, which is why I've got to work, work and work a bit more to get my level 1 tests, to do my assistant coaching qualification. I might, if my skating can get there, be able to get my Skate UK coaching qualification, by passing my level 3 tests, but that'll be as high as I could go.

Interestingly I pick up skating theory quite easily. It's putting it into practice that takes me ages!

I feel your pain, VIOI.  Before Covid struck, I was talking to BIS about redoing my coaching certificate and I will have to start from the beginning again.  I'm Level 8 Ice Dance and 2/3 Free but I need two disciplines at Level 6 or above now, so I have to do all the Field Moves levels (which they've just bloomin' changed) before I can qualify again.  To be honest, I actually love teaching beginners and lower levels best - especially adults - so maybe I should just stick at the Level 2 Skate UK qualification, if that's allowed.  Although I don't think I'd be able to teach private lessons, just groups, which is annoying as I'm forever being asked to teach privately.  I have no ambitions to coach champions.  Never have. 

Skating theory is great, but you need to be able to interpret it in at least 50 different ways.  ;D
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Risport Royal Pro and MK Gold Star. Still scary after all these years...