Author Topic: First time back on the ice  (Read 1455 times)

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
First time back on the ice
« on: September 26, 2020, 11:17:08 am »
Well today was the Mouse's first day back on the ice. I felt like bambi on ice and the 15 min went fast.

Did try too much (not even edges)

Looking forward to next week.

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: First time back on the ice
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 12:33:04 pm »
Well today was the Mouse's first day back on the ice. I felt like bambi on ice and the 15 min went fast.

Did try too much (not even edges)

Looking forward to next week.

Fifteen minutes?! 

Check that your blades aren't blunt.  They usually need sharpening after an extended period off the ice.  No idea why.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 12:56:03 pm »
It was only a 15 min lesson. The reason I didn't try too much was I was feeling a bit unsteady due to the time off the ice.

At the moment the rink does not allow you on the ice either before or after your lesson. After the lesson it is - off the ice, skates off and out of the rink.

I got may skates sharpened about 6 weeks ago, so they are sharp.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 06:51:18 pm »
Sorry to hear that.  Sounds perfectly horrible.  Won't be going back to a rink until things are normal again.  If this carries on, skating will be killed off.  Hope things improve for you.  I am skating on wheels now, so I can be free.

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 08:19:49 pm »
I have off-ice skates as well, but finding somewhere smooth enough that isn't over-run by kids is difficult

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 08:49:03 pm »
I have off-ice skates as well, but finding somewhere smooth enough that isn't over-run by kids is difficult

I know what you mean!  Having skated on wheels for years, I am always searching for flat, smooth places to skate.  Even in urban areas, it is surprising how bumpy, uneven, twiggy or sloping most surfaces are.  People who don't skate on wheels think almost all asphalt is smooth, whereas most is quite unpleasant for small wheels.  The bigger the wheels, the less of a problem it is.  I skate on 80mm wheels which are better than the off ice skate wheels for rough surfaces.  A friend of mine who figure skates uses 90s and another friend uses tri skates with I think 110s or 100s and she's annoyingly nimble on them.

I've been chucked out of a few car parks.  Supermarket car parks Sundays after 4.30 could be an option, but currently I drive for an hour to skate at Emirates Stadium.  For the winter I am looking at hiring a local hall for myself and a few friends.  Prices seem to be reasonable - £25 to £30 an hour which if you only find a couple of others is pretty good value if you consider you'd have the place to yourself.  Ice is much lovelier but it is expensive and at present I just don't want to have the hassle of all the restrictions.

For anyone in or near London, Hyde Park, Battersea Park and Emirates Stadium are all good options.

Happy skating all.

I'm getting smooth block paving on my drive so I can at least do cones...

iceniya

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 07:59:16 pm »
Hey! Anyone here had a long break in ice skating and then decided to return? I started ice skating when I was 12 and then when I was 13 the rink next to my house closed. We tried to contact the ice skating school at another rink but they said I was too old to get enrolled to their ice skating school so my parents talked me out of it. Now I’m 23, just finished Masters and really want to ice skate again. Today was the first time on ice and I did my best! Did the edges and all the things beginners should do. I know no one would treat me seriously there but I don’t want to give up.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 08:08:42 pm »
Yes.  I had 18 years off! 

Adults Skate Too is a big thing on social media, and adults are taken seriously in the skating world, even if not by some Federations.  Keep skating.  There are plenty of skills to be learned, friends to be made, tests to pass and opportunities to compete.  Enjoy your journey.  8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

iceniya

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 08:19:53 pm »
Yes.  I had 18 years off! 

Adults Skate Too is a big thing on social media, and adults are taken seriously in the skating world, even if not by some Federations.  Keep skating.  There are plenty of skills to be learned, friends to be made, tests to pass and opportunities to compete.  Enjoy your journey.  8)

Thank you so much for your supportive message your story is really inspiring  :) What people are out there on social media I could follow who started ice skating later in life? My biggest dream is to design my own ice skating programme, choreography and everything. Not sure if it’s realistic though but I want to try when I get better at ice skating

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 10:23:02 pm »
Thank you so much for your supportive message your story is really inspiring  :) What people are out there on social media I could follow who started ice skating later in life? My biggest dream is to design my own ice skating programme, choreography and everything. Not sure if it’s realistic though but I want to try when I get better at ice skating

Go to Instagram and search on the hashtag #adultskater or #adultsskatetoo  You will find a lot of inspiration.  As to designing your own programme - just do it!  No need to wait, start now.  One thing that most people find is that when they start skating, they start mentally choreographing programmes to just about every piece of music they hear.  The trick to a flowing programme is to pick music that makes you want to dance and skate to it.  Enjoy!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy