Author Topic: What to expect from first lesson?  (Read 386 times)

Charan

What to expect from first lesson?
« on: August 25, 2020, 02:59:37 PM »
Now that Covid restrictions are being eased I've randomly decided to pick up skating. I've watched figure skating for a long time and I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to that hobby, but I've never tried it myself. I've said that I am a complete beginner, but I skated around a bit as a kid and can skate forwards (but probably have terrible technique) and can get myself moving backwards, but nothing much more than that. Will this be an issue?

I've booked some group lessons and was wondering what to expect from the first one. Do you just walk in and hope for the best? Will I be surrounded by twenty children :)? I'm 30 and it would be nice to be around some adults, but I don't know how many adults usually show up. I wanted to go for the adult-only lessons, but there weren't any available near me at this time.

Also, 30 minutes seems like a very short time to be learning anything, but that's probably because I am used to other sports where sessions are more like 1 to 1.5 hours. Sorry if this has been asked a million times before.  :-[

skatey

Re: What to expect from first lesson?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 08:25:53 AM »
Welcome!

You have done the difficult part - booking the lessons!

When I stared there were a few adults in the group, but most of them were there with their kids because they were doing the lessons as a family.  I expect it will probably be mostly kids, but everyone will be in the same boat and not know quite what to expect to start with.

Half an hour isn't long, but its enough to give you some instruction on what to work on in your own time afterwards.  It's usually that the practice time afterwards isn't long enough to master what they've shown you!  You can always visit the rink again in between the lessons if you want to practice more.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 07:33:12 PM »
I skated around a bit as a kid and can skate forwards (but probably have terrible technique) and can get myself moving backwards, but nothing much more than that. Will this be an issue?

Nope, everybody starts at the beginning.

Take a look at the basic skills programme -> https://www.iceskating.org.uk/learn-to-skate
or http://skateexcellence.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/se_grading_sheet.docx
to get a rough idea.

Do you just walk in and hope for the best?

Pretty much; check what alterations are in place; example nearest toilet.

Take some time sorting out your skates; make sure they are properly fastened.

Also to start with I'd recommend thicker socks for rental skates (take a change of socks)

A good coach will probably take you through some basic stuff off ice before getting on.

Learn at your own pace.

Relax, don't worry - everybody falls over at some point; coaches, World Champions, Olympians, everybody.

Rookie mistake I made the first time; wearing a coat - don't.

Good luck!
Sliding on frozen water is the easy part of ice skating.

Charan

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 04:34:35 PM »
Thanks guys :).

I looked at the basic skills and then went to my nearest rink to check how embarrassing my skating is. I'd watched some videos beforehand of the first couple levels and tried them. It took me a bit to remember what ice feels like, but I was able to do everything up to level 3 fairly comfortably, so that makes me feel a little better about life. ;D When I was little my friends and I used to play tig, so I only ever 'learned' skills that would be useful for that game, which is why I can skate forwards, but not backwards. I'm looking forward to learning properly. My dream would be to be able to do a Biellman spin one day, but for now I'll be happy with a forward crossover. I'm a snowboarder, so I am used to falling and getting hurt.

Crossing my fingers for some adults at the rink, it would be fun to make some new friends in this time of Corona.  :)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 08:05:26 AM »

Also, 30 minutes seems like a very short time to be learning anything, but that's probably because I am used to other sports where sessions are more like 1 to 1.5 hours. Sorry if this has been asked a million times before.  :-[

Thirty minutes is plenty long enough at beginner level.  The brain has a lot to take in and process.  Enjoy!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Risport Royal Pro and MK Gold Star. Still scary after all these years...