Author Topic: Injured and very upset 😢  (Read 888 times)

Annoushkadomynique

Injured and very upset 😢
« on: August 09, 2020, 09:18:58 pm »
So yesterday I was doing an off ice jump class with my coach which was going great until a loop jump went horribly wrong. Long story short my right ankle rolled out completely and cracked along the side. It was swollen and bruised within minutes so I ended the class and was taken to A&E.

X-ray came back and the radiologist flagged it as a possible break but after a second opinion they don’t think it is (Phew!!!) However I have torn the ligaments in my ankle, cannot walk and on crutches for the next few weeks!!!

I’m so upset and feeling very disheartened right now as I lay here unable to even go to the toilet by myself. Has anyone else ever done this sort of damage? What did you do to help rehab your ankle as it got better?

Feeling quite anxious about the thought of skating (when the rinks are open and I’m able bodied) Just hope I can recover from this and get back on the ice without the fear of reinjuring myself.

black

• Skate free
Re: Injured and very upset 😢
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 09:56:08 am »
Ouch, that sounds bad!

You need to tell yourself that, "this is temporary; you are going to get better, real soon".

Attitude helps with altitude.

The usual advice: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprain#Treatment

My 0.02 advice - eat good food; it helps with repair.

And as much as you safely can, keep moving regularly.

Even if it is only small amounts; think 'wiggle your big toe'.

Skates are specifically designed not to allow your ankle to roll over; just take it slow to start with.

Out of interest were you wearing trainers when it happened?
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Annoushkadomynique

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 10:09:47 am »
Probably the worst injury I’ve ever had! It’s a bit of a shock to say the least.!

My partners going mad looking stuff up online that will help me with recovery.

It’s good to know that skates are designed that way. I’ve got a pretty stiff boot(concertos) so I’m hoping that’s a good thing and not a bad. I’m worried about doing the edge work and it doesn’t help that I’ve done in my landing foot.

Yes I was wearing trainers at the time it happened. I had prepped the jump and was bending my knees into it 🤢🤢

black

• Skate free
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 07:36:10 pm »
Re: trainers; I'd recommend reading 'Born to Run' by Christopher McDougall.

1. It's a terrific read.
2. It makes the case that trainers might not be the best tool for the job (& that sports shoe manufactures know this).

Consider off ice training bare foot, or in non-slip socks.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 09:46:27 am »
Oh, you poor thing!  I can totally empathise with this, although it was my knee rather than my ankle, and there turned out to be bony damage as well as ligament so I ended up having major surgery.

I nodded my head at absolutely everything that Black said.  Totally.

You will get back on the ice and you will be fine.  Don't wait decades like I did!  Skating boots are designed to prevent exactly this kind of injury, so the likelihood of this happening again is very slim.

So:-

Raise your foot and ankle above hip height when you're resting.  It helps the blood flow and that helps everything heal.

Do your physio religiously - this is of paramount importance.  I honestly can't stress it enough.  It's the difference between an excellent recovery and a continued weakness there, both physical and mental.

Research the best trainers for off-ice training.  There is a lot of discussion and information out there and most people seem to prefer one brand over all the others.  I think it's Asics, but can't swear to it.

You can go to the toilet on your own.  It's only your ankle.  If I could do it with a massive wound, 2 screws, 17 staples, a heavy steel leg brace and nerve damage that meant my entire right leg is no longer connected properly to my brain, you can definitely do it!

Practice walking, sitting down and standing up with crutches as part of your physio.  If you find that your hands hurt, then use gloves.  Sailing gloves are ideal, as the fingertips are uncovered and the palms are padded.

If you are caught short whilst out and about, you are absolutely entitled to use the disabled facilities, which are often at a better height and come with bars placed to help you stand up again.

Do your physio.  Yes, I'm nagging.  ;)

It will be fine.  Work towards your recovery and you will get there.  You may well come back stronger!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy