Author Topic: Getting back to skating after 25 years  (Read 1001 times)

irma-78

Getting back to skating after 25 years
« on: July 29, 2020, 09:30:10 pm »
I wonder if anyone can just share their opinion on the following question.

I have been skating on a professional level before. Started up at 5 y.o and stopped at 11 y.o. due to a range of injuries. I haven’t been on ice since then. 25 years since i had skates on my feet.

I am soon 40 now. About 1,5 years ago i bought me pair of skates and i started going to rink with a group of adult skaters, but i seems i lost most of my skills and it is like i back to basics. Before i quit as 11 year old i could land tripple salcow and triiple toeloop not in a competition, just in training and not very stable. But i could land doubles. All of them in competitions as well.

But now i am like nothing on ice. Barely singles. Can land them on the floor but i have paralyzing fear of injuries so i am afraid to attempt most of things on ice.

Deep adges are lost as well. Some even told me that it sometimes looks like i walk on eggshells on ice, noticibly afraid. It is hard to believe i scated before as a kid. I don’t dare to get up the speed. I will try and slow me down if i feel it goes too fast.

My stupid question is. How can i be so bad on ice? It is just because i was so long away from the sport that it is just what it is and i need to start from scratch, or is it just fear? Or both?
Anyone can give me an insight?
Thanks in advance for all the answers

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Getting back to skating after 25 years
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 07:01:23 am »
I started skating at age 40, and definitely there is a lot more fear than when you're a child - your brain and body just don't want to commit to anything that feels outside of your comfort zone.  A lot of the challenge when learning as an adult is not learning the technical things but learning to relax.  Learning anything requires patience, even as a child, but more so as an adult.  Those in my experience who succeed are the ones who are most patient and who learn to enjoy the experience of learning, without becoming too frustrated or obsessed by how much or how little progress you are making.  And of course hard work, practicing the right things and getting the right input from a teacher.  Once you do start to master things, it is enormously satisfying.  I'm sure you'll be fine and in a few months you will have found your edges and spins and good singles jumps, though maybe not yet the triples.  The other thing to bear in mind is that skating well is quite physical and the things you can do at age 11 without much extra physical training you may not be able to do at age 40, so if you're not in top physical condition then try to do some stretching and fitness stuff off the ice - yoga, pilates, ballet etc.  Good luck!

black

• Skate free
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 10:54:00 am »
What is the difference in frequency & duration that you currently spend skating now to back then?

Do you currently have a coach?
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Loops

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 09:13:44 am »
I agree with Transmission....FEAR and the adult learning factor!

I quit at 15, although I was no-where near your level- I maxed out with a consistent axel and inconsistent 2Sal.

Seven years ago I came back after 35 years off.  I started off trying some of the skates the club has as loaners- Good condition, entry level Jacksons with MarkIV blades.  I felt like an absolute beginner who'd never set foot on the ice. It was very uncomfortable and a bad surprise. So, I dug out my old know-all-the-steps skates from the 80's that made my feet bleed and whose blades had no more rocker.  It was much, much better.  If you went the cheap, entry-level route with your new skates, do you think something similar could be at play with you?

I could not stick with my old skates due to the pain and blood.  So I did quickly get new skates and blades.  Set me back €500, but totally worth it.  I'm in a dance only club, so we don't jump, but you know I tried when the coaches weren't looking.  Jumps were heavy and clumsy, but I did have most of them.  Equipment can make a huge difference.......

Incidentally deep edges are still scary, especially the inside ones, and especially at the speed one needs to actually do them. Its 90% in my head, 10% strength issues. Padded shorts might be your friend if it will help mentally

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 10:36:07 am »
Lots of good advice already!

The fear factor really is a big one, especially as you gave up all those years ago because of injury.  It's only natural that you'll be fearful about getting injured again.  Do consider using protection equipment; it may help a lot if you're no longer so worried about hurting yourself.  I was always rather sceptical about padding and felt it was unnecessary and would just create problems when you had to skate without it, ie in competition.  But that was over 20 years ago, before I wrote off my skating career and right knee.  Now, especially teaching adults, I feel that it's absolutely the right thing if it makes the difference between enjoying skating and being paralysed with fear.  That can also be the difference between skating and just not skating.  I dislike the hard plastic knee and elbow guards - especially the knee ones, which look like you have beetles strapped to your legs - but it is possible to find much better ones with D30 in them, which is soft and pliable under normal circumstances but goes solid on impact.  I'm currently skating on wheels and obviously needed pads for my knees so I bought some sailing knee pads from Musto, which have kevlar to help prevent them being shredded by concrete and tarmac and D30 to stop impact damage.  Somewhere I have a hilarious video of me hitting my bad knee as hard as I can with a piece of wood.  No pain whatsoever!  And because they are soft and don't stick out a lot, I can still move properly.  Get properly padded up and see how you feel.

As Loops said above, another factor is equipment.  Obviously having boots with the right amount of support is important but there is more to blades than just toe picks.  I recently swapped boots and blades with a friend, as she was hoping to inherit mine when I replaced them.  She was amazed at the slickness and speed of my Phantom blades, whilst I was absolutely horrified at the stickiness of her Edea Rotations.  I'm honestly not sure how anybody skates on those things!  What blades are you skating on?

Lastly, you're not expected to be able to just get back on the ice after 25 years and skate like an 11 year old elite.  Try to relax and just enjoy the glide and the journey.

Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Loops

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 04:18:37 pm »
I do not want to hijack this topic- but Wednesday, can you please tell me more about this:

[snip].... I bought some sailing knee pads from Musto, which have kevlar to help prevent them being shredded by concrete and tarmac and D30 to stop impact damage.

Is it this: https://www.musto.com/en_GB/d3o-kneepads/80049.html ??  They say onesize.....is that true?  I have muscular legs, but not skinny like a ballet dancer. I need some protection for my off-ice skates (head and elbows too). I've tried mountain biking gear, but they are too bulky, even with d30. 

I am a HUGE fan of d30.   When I broke my tailbone 6 years ago, I ended up buying an insert for a motorcycle jacket and cutting a piece to stick between my pants and tights and protect the sore bit.  Don't skate without it now.  In those days I also looked a lot at rollerderby protective gear,  but they didn't do a lot with d30.....

Lastly, you're not expected to be able to just get back on the ice after 25 years and skate like an 11 year old elite.  Try to relax and just enjoy the glide and the journey.

OP- this^. absolutely this ^

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 04:45:59 pm »
I do not want to hijack this topic- but Wednesday, can you please tell me more about this:

Is it this: https://www.musto.com/en_GB/d3o-kneepads/80049.html ??  They say onesize.....is that true?  I have muscular legs, but not skinny like a ballet dancer. I need some protection for my off-ice skates (head and elbows too). I've tried mountain biking gear, but they are too bulky, even with d30.

Yes, that's them.  I'm not built like a ballet dancer but they work for me.  You can see a skater wearing them here:-

[https://www.instagram.com/p/CDRu7u7pIFZ/?igshid=147xg5v84d2io

Although they aren't as slimline as I'd like, I don't find that they get in the way or hamper movement at all. In fact, I forget I'm wearing them.

ETA: If the link doesn't work, you can see it on the @roaringmouse Instagram account.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 04:51:01 pm by WednesdayMarch »
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy