Author Topic: Bristol ice rink  (Read 2932 times)

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Bristol ice rink
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 09:16:41 am »
Had a good session at Chelmsford.  Once you've done the palaver of registering and collecting your card.  They make you queue outside (under cover) until the session is due to start - presumably a covid safety measure that ends up crowding everyone together, next to the various queues for swimming sessions, but once you're in everything is normal. 

Ice was decent, session fairly quiet (combination of summer, covid and requirement to have membership probably), decent music, people fairly well behaved, staff happy for me to jump and spin.  Nice to spin again as it's not something you can do properly on rollerblades.  Two hour session for £8.20 - pretty good value.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2021, 03:36:20 pm »
Plymouth rink actually reopened today! It was lovely to be back, even though the ice was covered in "mushrooms" (condensation drip bumps). Sadly, they've changed the timetable to make every public session one hour long, with a half hour "resurface break" in between. And taken away a lot of patch time, so it's now even more impossible for coaches to actually earn a living and skaters to actually get a lesson. But without a lesson at least once a fortnight, you're not allowed to set blade to patch ice.

Apparently they need more coaches. Which is a bit ironic, seeing as I was supposed to be doing my Field Move Levels in order to redo my coaching certification, but my coach can't fit me in so...  Yeah. Not good.

Still, we have ice again. For now.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 03:41:24 pm »
Sadly, they've changed the timetable to make every public session one hour long, with a half hour "resurface break" in between. And taken away a lot of patch time

The rinks run by Better have done this (Streatham and Sobell at least), as has Alexandra Palace.  You have to book patch at Streatham now.  An hour isn't enough for me and I'm not prepared to go out of my way to get messed around.  It's to do with capping numbers and having fewer people in the changing areas etc at once, supposedly - covid theatre.  All my rinks are an hour away but I do have a choice so will be favouring those with longest sessions and least fuss, restrictions, hoops to jump through.

Hopefully eventually they will all realise they'll struggle to survive unless they get back to more like how they were.

P.S.  Good to hear your rink is open at least.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 03:44:34 pm by transmissionoftheflame »

Crackers

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2021, 10:50:53 pm »
So the rink skate shop at the new Bristol rink will be run by All Star Hockey.

https://www.facebook.com/allstarhockeyswindon/posts/4214620595324871

Congrats to Ian Clark on opening his second shop and thanks for the excellent service on my kids skates over the past 7 years.
Highly recommended

https://allstar.hockey/

Good luck Ian & team, hope to catch up in Swindon sometime.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2021, 05:44:44 pm »
Looks like the rink is going to start trading Monday 25th October;

https://iceaccount.co.uk/ice-skating/bristol/select-date
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2021, 05:58:58 pm »
Looks like the rink is going to start trading Monday 25th October;

https://iceaccount.co.uk/ice-skating/bristol/select-date

Looks like they have decently long sessions (2-3 hours).  Good news.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2021, 06:33:04 pm »
I'll leave it until half term is over and then venture up the M5.  8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

SparkleonIce

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2021, 07:16:18 pm »
I've been!

Patch sessions are only 30-45 mins long unfortunately, however, the public sessions are 2-3 hours! I would recommend going at the start of a session or an early one - I went to their last public session of the day and towards the end of it the ice was awful! Felt like I was driving over a super bumpy road. Lots of hockey skaters there so putting the blame on them! hahah.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2021, 08:11:21 pm »
I've been!

Patch sessions are only 30-45 mins long unfortunately, however, the public sessions are 2-3 hours! I would recommend going at the start of a session or an early one - I went to their last public session of the day and towards the end of it the ice was awful! Felt like I was driving over a super bumpy road. Lots of hockey skaters there so putting the blame on them! hahah.

Useful intelligence - thank you! A few of us from Darkest Cornwall and Devon are hoping to visit Bristol rink before too long, so we'll bear this in mind.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy