Author Topic: Off ice skates experience?  (Read 6348 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: Off ice skates experience?
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2020, 01:01:15 pm »
Yesterday I became a little better at skating on the Off-Ice skates!  Indoors in a nice, smooth, level sports hall.  All of a sudden things became much smoother and easier.  Still can't do three turns but my mohawks were getting there.  Started practicing field moves.  Happy days.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2020, 01:26:54 pm »
Interesting - good to hear it.  Bumpy surfaces undermine confidence quite dramatically in my experience - but I am old and fearful.

Out of interesting, how were you able to get hold of an indoor sports hall?  I am looking for something like that myself.

What do you think is stopping you with the 3-turns?

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2020, 01:48:31 pm »
Age and fear!  ;D I'm 52 and still get flashbacks to wrecking my right leg. 

We hired the sports hall from the YMCA.  It was easy and very good value at £24 an hour.

But that was in Plymouth.  My local town leisure centre hasn't reopened the sports hall, pools, indoor bowls, tennis courts, squash courts or cafe...  ::)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2020, 02:46:06 pm »
Yup, haven't wrecked my leg but am 55... I am sure you will get there.  As you have probably worked out, it's a confidence thing.  On my inlines I have the option of trailing the toe wheel of my free leg as a comfort blanket, but you'll no doubt have a toepick...

£24 an hour, that's amazing.  I don't like to pry, but did you have to do a risk assessment or anything like that?  Was it just you?  Feel free to tell me to mind my own business, but if I could find somewhere like that I would happily fund it and invite up to 5 friends to skate with me - at £4 each it would be a bargain.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2020, 03:41:23 pm »
Well, bear in mind that this is the South West...  The booking procedure went as follows:-

YMCA:  We'll need a copy of your insurance.

Us:  We're not a club, just a group of skaters... We don't have insurance.

YMCA: Oh, just give us a letter that says that then.  Do you have a risk assessment?

Us:  Nope. We don't do risk assessments.

YMCA:  Okay.  See you on Sunday.

;D

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2020, 03:47:35 pm »
Ah splendid.  I might need to move!  I suspect what makes it easier is if you're essentially a closed group of friends, invitation only, not taking money.  I will give it a try.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy