Author Topic: Off ice skates experience?  (Read 6349 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: Off ice skates experience?
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2020, 06:57:34 pm »

If you're a decent level on ice it will take you just a few sessions to get used to wheels, main thing is slopes and bumps so you need space (or confidence slowing down, changing direction) and soft knees.

So it doesn't matter that I was terrified, then?  New boots probably didn't help...

I managed forwards stroking, backwards lemons, forward inside edges, outsides were iffy, forward and backward crossovers and tiny spreadeagles.  I fully intend to master this wheely stuff but it might not be this week...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2020, 07:45:12 pm »
That sounds like a very solid start.  Admittedly when I started wheels my skating on ice was not as strong as yours, but I remember the first time I careered down our road, almost fell over and every bump felt like a boulder, I thought "how can anyone do this".

Just focus on relaxing, basics, breathe, knee and ankle bend.  All the usual stuff.

Do you have figure boots and blades or normal inlines?

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2020, 09:00:22 pm »
That sounds like a very solid start.  Admittedly when I started wheels my skating on ice was not as strong as yours, but I remember the first time I careered down our road, almost fell over and every bump felt like a boulder, I thought "how can anyone do this".

Just focus on relaxing, basics, breathe, knee and ankle bend.  All the usual stuff.

Do you have figure boots and blades or normal inlines?

Brand new Graf Edmonton Specials and Off-Ice artistic inlines.  I plan on just trying to relax and get the basics nice and smooth before I start on the Level 8 field moves...  (Ha! Maybe a three turn, if I'm feeling very brave. In about a year...)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2020, 09:30:44 pm »
Well I don't know how big those wheels are but they look small to me.  They will magnify bumps.  I use 80mm wheels, and some swear by 90s or 100s or even 110s.  So the smoother the surface the easier it will feel.  Once you get back on the ice it will be SO easy.

Crackers

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2020, 12:07:09 am »
Well I don't know how big those wheels are but they look small to me.  They will magnify bumps.  I use 80mm wheels, and some swear by 90s or 100s or even 110s.  So the smoother the surface the easier it will feel.  Once you get back on the ice it will be SO easy.
The wheels are 59mm and seem very soft. Front wheel is wearing out quite quickly on my sons set (probably due to the amount of spinning).
Big foot has a set that has 5 wheels per blade as well.
Daughters set arrived a couple of days ago and I mounted them on her old Ice Fly (that was a stressful experience why don't they make the mounting holes the same as the Wilson blades).
Anyway, son is regularly jumping Axel and has now got the sit spin back after about 7 sessions on wheels. Daughter is now confident to jump after a couple of sessions on wheels.

Had some news that their coach is retiring after 35 years coaching ice skaters. Sad to see him go as he is a really nice guy and has taught them a lot.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2020, 07:11:49 am »
Ah I see - yes 59mm wheels will make you feel the bumps more and if they are soft they will wear out quicker.

But it sounds like impressive progress is being made!

black

• Skate free
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2020, 10:38:20 am »
Most/all competitions done on wheels that I've seen are in halls with wooden floors.

Would you need a certain softness of wheel, or colour for that? (thinking dents, marks)
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2020, 10:54:11 am »
That's a very good point, and I think you would want a softer wheel, yes, and probably white (which I think the off-ice wheels are) so it didn't mark as much.  Softer wheels are grippier, which would be good on a less abrasive surface indoors, and wouldn't be inclined to wear down as much indoors.  I think if they are used outdoors they will wear more quickly.  Lloyd Jones posted on YouTube that his off ice wheels when used outdoors got destroyed pretty quickly - of course he would be harder on them anyway.  I guess it's an occupational hazard.  There are smaller wheels out there that are harder that might fit an off ice blade.

I doubt I'll be able to do much skating on the ice in the future, but am happy enough with rockered slalom inlines - they are different, but not inferior, IMO.

FootsieDAX

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2020, 09:43:47 pm »
Brand new Graf Edmonton Specials and Off-Ice artistic inlines.  I plan on just trying to relax and get the basics nice and smooth before I start on the Level 8 field moves...  (Ha! Maybe a three turn, if I'm feeling very brave. In about a year...)

Hi I have Graf with Elite wheels, the fast ones, not the ones for beginners. The trick is to try not to do as deep edges as on the ice. I'd say try to get comfortable doing edges and turns on wheels, and then jumps will follow easily after that. I managed a walz jump and a sal on wheels but I cannot do any spin, I just cannot find the spot to spin on those. But then I wasn't great at spinning on ice either, so it's probably a matter of practice... Yeah the wheels wear off fast on tarmac, and so do the toes!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2020, 08:36:38 pm »
I just changed one pair of brand new Edmonton Specials for another pair of brand new Edmonton Specials in the wide fitting (which were too big a month ago but my feet have started swelling, we think owing to new medication).  It's made a massive difference.  Now I'm not in pain, I am a lot more confident and can start skating properly.  Took some time off from teaching edges and crossovers and had a play.
 Two foot power rockers are fun!  :)

Still prefer ice, though.  (Guess I'm going to have to get yet another pair of boots for that now, too.  Note to self:  Buy a lottery ticket...)

black

• Skate free
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2020, 07:38:39 pm »
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy