Author Topic: Off ice skates experience?  (Read 6353 times)

JenniRose399

Re: Off ice skates experience?
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2020, 02:14:55 pm »
@Crackers Thanks for the tip, I'll need to see how I get on with the toe stop and then adjust them based on this :)

They came yesterday! I got out on them for a wee hour but couldn't go far because I was on call. Found the smoothest path at the art gallery across from me but it was still very bumpy. I'm skate star gold level and mostly do synchro so my spins and jumps aren't great but I'm stronger with field moves and probably could do some NISA lower level elements though I haven't sat them. Well, I struggled with back crossovers yesterday!

I've heard there's another museum about a 5 min bike ride from me so planning to go down after work today and try it out! I definitely felt it was a combination of the surface I was skating on and being rusty after 3 months off ice that was the problem rather than the blades so fingers crossed!

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2020, 11:17:06 am »
The off ice skate wheels are pretty small compared to normal inline skate wheels, so sadly you're going to feel the bumps, especially if you are used to ice.  Smooth outdoor surfaces are sadly quite rare, at least in the UK.  It will be challenging, but when you get back on the ice, everything will feel much much easier so it is worth persevering with.

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2020, 09:15:01 pm »
Was out on Sunday morning - we have a skate park in our town park. It was like I have never skated before. Did a couple of lemons, but will try again. Need to go early before the kids are out of bed.

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2020, 06:48:55 am »
Was out on Sunday morning - we have a skate park in our town park. It was like I have never skated before. Did a couple of lemons, but will try again. Need to go early before the kids are out of bed.

Do you think that was due to the surface or the enforced break from skating?

JenniRose399

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2020, 10:07:29 am »
Took my bike down to the museum I mentioned and met some skaters who use quad skates who use the area too. Much better! Been out on the wheels 3 times now and I've managed crossovers, some edge work, mohawks, outside 3turns (too scared to try inside 3s). Wanted to try spirals but not quite confident enough yet. Also had my first fall and I am so glad I bought knee and elbow pads - never even felt it.

I actually think the blades themselves feel pretty similar to ice, I think what's holding me back is the break from skating and the surface! I'm determined though, going to be back later in the week when it dries up. I think I thought it would take me a session or 2 then I would be able to do what I can on ice and work on some things I need to work on (1 foot slalom I'm looking at you) but it will just take some more time I think.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2020, 10:15:30 am »
Well done - that's very positive.  If you don't already have them I would recommend wristguards.  I don't use other protective equipment (other than a helmet sometimes when I am trying to improve my back cross rolls and need to relax and be more confident) but wristguards are, in my view, essential.

You could get the quaddies to teach you some cool moves.

Crackers

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2020, 10:20:02 am »
@JenniRose399 Nice, keep it up and it will come back.

My son got confident enough to pull an Axel last night, he was sooo pleased with himself.

Daughter had a message from off-ice skates to say that they are waiting for more wheels to come in. She is champing at the bit to get out with her brother.

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2020, 11:36:15 am »

Do you think that was due to the surface or the enforced break from skating?

I think it was the break from skating and the wheels - the surface was ok

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

JenniRose399

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2020, 11:52:21 am »
Well done - that's very positive.  If you don't already have them I would recommend wristguards.  I don't use other protective equipment (other than a helmet sometimes when I am trying to improve my back cross rolls and need to relax and be more confident) but wristguards are, in my view, essential.

You could get the quaddies to teach you some cool moves.

Yes I have wrist guards! I even wear them on ice now (I broke my wrist in October last year on the ice and had to take 8 weeks off) so I will never scrimp on wrist protection again! Might invest in a helmet as well if I get to jumping.

Turns out the quad skaters skate at a roller rink near me that I've been to before so I'm making connections!

@JenniRose399 Nice, keep it up and it will come back.

My son got confident enough to pull an Axel last night, he was sooo pleased with himself.

Daughter had a message from off-ice skates to say that they are waiting for more wheels to come in. She is champing at the bit to get out with her brother.

Oh well done to your son! That's amazing progress! I hope the wheels come soon for your daughter, I've seen on the facebook group that hopefully most orders will be sent within the next 2 weeks?

black

• Skate free
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2020, 05:20:36 pm »
I did some rollerblading back when I was a teenager; just basic skating, and I haven't done it since.

Just a note of advice; just as if you get your blades sharpened, oiling (or getting water) into the bearings can make a real difference to the 'quickness' of the wheels.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2020, 05:28:56 pm »
I did some rollerblading back when I was a teenager; just basic skating, and I haven't done it since.

Just a note of advice; just as if you get your blades sharpened, oiling (or getting water) into the bearings can make a real difference to the 'quickness' of the wheels.

If you're a decent level on ice it will take you just a few sessions to get used to wheels, main thing is slopes and bumps so you need space (or confidence slowing down, changing direction) and soft knees.

Harder wheels are more durable, but they will wear out, and unless you skate very evenly you may need to rotate the wear between inside and outside edges, also front and back wheels tend to get more wear.

Water combined with road grit/dirt is the worst.  I tend not to skate in the rain unless I have a very grippy surface as if you're doing deep edges you will lose your skates from under you.

Before and after every session I check the axles on the wheels to make sure they have not come loose - I have lost a wheel before while skating so worth it especially if you have been cleaning them or rotating wheels.

Minimum safety equipment I use is wrist guards.  Helmet helps for confidence when going backwards, to make you lean.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy