Author Topic: Off ice skates experience?  (Read 6352 times)

JenniRose399

Re: Off ice skates experience?
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 04:47:44 pm »
Hi,
There is a mobile phone number on the Jackson Debut Page to call for pricing.
This is the number that I used and I spoke to Karen ONeill, the owner, she was very helpful.
Have a look here
http://www.off-iceskates.com/shop/jackson

And your OK, my daughter is waiting for a 230 blade set so we are not competing  :)

Oh perfect thank you! I couldn't see one on their contact us page. I will give her a call later in the week if nothing appears!

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 08:32:32 pm »
I managed to get some from one my ex-coaches. He used them in the closing of the Olympics in 2012

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

JenniRose399

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 02:34:39 pm »
I got an email back from the warehouse team explaining that they hadn't been sent their full order from the manufacturers at the end of May and mine didn't arrive which is why it hadn't been sent and it will come next week. Based on the positive responses I've had here I'll hold out until next week.

That's a totally understandable reason for my order to be delayed- I just wish they'd sent at email at the time to tell me that rather than me chasing them for nearly a month getting random incorrect estimates!

I just really hope I'll use them after the rinks open to get my moneys worth!

Loops

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 08:49:01 pm »
Well, that's good.  Glad they finally got back to you.

I think I'd use mine a lot more if I had a friend to skate with.  I feel really sheepish skating in public on my own.  Finding good space, with a good enough surface is also an issue for me, but France, or at least my city is weird.  But I do like the idea that I can get more "ice" time.  Wheels are different- they're not as fast, or as secure on edges.  It takes a lot more strength to push and maintain speed. So I think once I get them mounted properly, and sort out some practice space, I think it'll only do good things for me on ice.

Curious as to your findings.

JenniRose399

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 09:51:40 am »
I totally understand this - skating on my own outdoors feels strange. I live right in the middle of the city too. There is a skate park 5 mins from my house but always full of teenagers on skateboards. My friend uses an empty car park at the subway station to skateboard just now but that will only work until people go back to work. I have an underground car park but it is quite bumpy. Hoping I can maybe use the art gallery near where I stay but it also gets very busy. I will probably have to go early in the morning!

There is a roller rink about a 10 min drive from where I stay, it is closed just now with COVID but in normal times it is open 7 days a week quite good hours, whereas my nearest ice rink is quite limited. Hopefully I will be able to use that once it re-opens.

I will let you know how I get on!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 10:09:46 pm »
I ordered the 230 Elite blade pack back in the middle of April and paid the final invoice last Thursday, 18th June.  Had a confirmation of payment but no delivery estimate. I've since had to leave home and move up country to help my parents for a while, so I have no idea whether to try to contact Off-Ice Skating to arrange delivery where I am at the moment or just accept the fact that they probably won't arrive for another month or so and I may well be back home by then...  Shame, really, as I have a perfect skating area here!

I believe that only Off-Ice branded wheels fit the Off-Ice frames, at least that's what I read in a post from them on social media a few days ago.  I've also heard that they are the nearest to actual ice-skating, so...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2020, 01:24:15 pm »
Slightly off topic but Lloyd Jones aka Ice Coach Online has been posting some stuff using figure boots with the off-ice frames and wheels but has recently also got himself some regular inlines.

Here's the result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0YRBBqvyFI

As you'd expect from a pro, he makes it look easy.  It's a slightly different feel from figure skates, but if you want to skate outdoors I feel a pair of quality inlines with a rockered frame and decent wheels is more built for outdoor surfaces, and will compliment your ice/figure skating, and let you top up on Vitamin D at the same time.

JenniRose399

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 04:28:09 pm »
I just got an email from DHL telling me my blades are (finally!) coming tomorrow! Very excited! I'm on call tomorrow night for work sadly so can't go far from my house but might take my bike a wee 5 minutes up the road to a quiet car park and have a shot if it's not raining!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 06:04:58 pm »
I had that email today, too!  Unfortunately, I'm away from home (dealing with my father's death) so I've arranged for them to be delivered to my bestest skating buddy's house (along with hers!) and I'll just pine until I get home.  When it will no doubt be raining and the carpark I've earmarked as my rink will be covered with cars.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

JenniRose399

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 09:05:01 pm »
So sorry to hear that about your father. At least you know your blades will be there to provide you some escape from everything once you are able to use them - I certainly use skating for that and have been lost without out for the last few months :(

Crackers

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2020, 11:59:22 pm »
@WM
Sad news, I lost my Nan last year. She was 93, but it hits hard. I hope that you are ok.

@JenniRose399 & @WM
Take some time to set the toe pick up on the off-ice blades. On my son's wheel set we found by setting the tail lift similar to his MK Gold Star that he can find the toe pick better.
To find the tail lift on your ice blade rock the blade forward on a hard surface (with some hardboard, MDF or card to protect the edges) until the bottom pick touches. The vertical measurement at the rear of the blade is the tail lift.
We put both boots side by side and I held the Ice boot while he set the pick on the off-ice boot.
He has only been out 4 times now and is pulling loop jumps and sit spins (he was just about to go for BIS/NISA 3 when the lock down hit)

Anyway, enjoy and stay safe.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy