Author Topic: Skate UK levels 1-8  (Read 1424 times)

EdenLoren

Skate UK levels 1-8
« on: May 04, 2020, 10:56:02 pm »
Hi (:

I turned 25 in October, and started skating 3 months before lockdown. Ive had 5 1 to 1 lessons, and skated for 1 1/2 to 2 hours 2-3 times a week. I have become quite a strong skater.

How long did it take you to complete Skate UK levels 1-8? I want to start doing it as soon as i get back.

Thanks (:
Eden

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Skate UK levels 1-8
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 10:25:59 am »
I started at 40, skated a similar amount to you, it took me a year to get to Level 8.  But I am a slow learner.  Sounds like you'll get there quicker - my kids did it in about half that time.

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 10:28:13 am »
I started at 42 and it took me quite a while to get to level 10 (as it was then). It didn't help that the rink closed for 2 years for refurb 6 months after I started

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 10:13:45 am »
No two skaters progress at the same pace, but if you want to up your rate then do as much off-ice training as you can fit in while the rink is closed.  Work on stretches, strengthening, plyometrics, even practice turns, step sequences and spirals.  There are all manner of helpful videos on YouTube, Instagram, etc.  And if you have - or can get your hands on - a pair of off-ice skates (ie Pic, Off-Ice, Linea, Snow White, Golden Horse, etc) then you can practice everything almost as if you were on the ice.

One thing to be aware of, however, is that fast progress through the beginner levels won't necessarily make you a better skater.  The basics are so, so important as you need a good foundation of basic technique in order to master the more "difficult" stuff.  When you get back on the ice, make sure you practice your basic stroking, edges, crossovers, turns and stops every single time you skate.  Every.  Single.  Time.  It makes a huge difference.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy