Author Topic: Wanting to do synchronised skating???  (Read 1212 times)

ama123

Wanting to do synchronised skating???
« on: April 30, 2020, 03:33:38 pm »
Hi everyone. I'm 16 years old I have been skating for around 8 months now and still currently at Skate UK level 3. The ice rink where I currently skate at offers weekly, 30 min lessons which quite frankly, are a disorganised mess and i just feel like I'm not progressing at the rate I want to be.
I've really interested in synchro skating was the main reason why I wanted to take up skating in the first place. Another local rink has a team that requires at least a NISA level 2. I know that I'm quite far off from this but I was just wondering if there was any way that I could get myself to the required level, without having to pay for private lessons. Would I be able to skip to learning NISA level 1 field moves without completing skate UK?

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Wanting to do synchronised skating???
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 08:00:31 am »
If the synchro requires you to have actually passed the L2 test then I don't think you can skip L1 as in general I believe you are required to take them in order.  In any case the hard part of L1 or any level is not the test itself, it is learning the skills to the required standard and I am afraid there's no way you could pass L2 without having the necessary L1 skills as these are basics like forward edges.  It's great that you have a longer term goal to aim for and motivate you, but I am afraid there are no shortcuts - just patience, hard work and putting the hours in.  I dare say it's possible to pass L2 without ever having had a private lesson but I don't personally know anyone who has done that.  With a lot of hard work and some talent.  I think with most people you'd just end up needing more group lessons so wouldn't save much money.  Most of us need someone who is focused on them 100% to tell you what you are doing wrong - you improve faster with that input.  A combination of group and private works well for many.  And practice on your own of course.  If you're in a hurry you'll want to be doing several hours a week spread across several sessions I would say.  If you can't get to the rink that often, try ballet, dance, yoga, pilates for the fitness side, maybe get some off-ice skates if you can find somewhere to skate on wheels.  There are online resources that are good but you do need to know if you're doing it right, and what you're not doing right, which is hard without someone looking at you. If you don't feel the group lessons are working where you are currently, do try somewhere else if you can - that's got to be your immediate focus.  Skating is quite hard but great fun, so try to enjoy the process as well as thinking about the long term.

Greycut

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 04:06:42 pm »
To be able to take nisa levels you have to have completed Skate UK Star program (basically Skate UK Bronze, Silver and Gold medals).  Here's the extract from their Test level terms and conditions 2020:

2. Prior to being able to apply for any national tests or competitions, skaters must complete the SkateUK Skate Star programme, which can only be evidenced by sending an original copy completed Registration Document signed off by a BIS licensed L2+ coach. This must be sent to the BIS registered offices (recorded delivery advised), where it will be marked on a skater’s profile and will enable them to subsequently apply for Beginner competitions and Level 1 national tests

Most coaches will not allow you to do the star program unless you have completed Skate UK 1 to 8, although I have seen coaches in private lessons going through all the skate uk levels in one session, ticking off everything for a more advanced skater. 

Loops

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 08:04:17 pm »
I'm a synchro skater myself, and would like to give you the perspective from a potential teammate. 

Synchro is awesome and a great way to improve your skating and have a great time.  I highly recommend. 

Having said that, do yourself, and your future teammates a favor and take the time you need to acquire the skills and master them to an appropriate level.  There's a lot to learn about skating in formations- how to support yourself, your neighbors, regulate your speed, how to hold on, and how to help maintain the line.  It's not as evident as you might think, and you really do need to be solid.  Furthermore, you have to be able to match your technique to the other skaters as well, in terms of timing and maintaining the correct direction of travel.  So you do need to have the basics pretty well mastered.  At 16, if you go straight to a competing team, it'll either be Jr or Mixed Age.  Mixed age can also require a pretty high level of skating.  So much will be expected of you as a team member.  If you're starting on a learning team (many rinks have these, to get skaters ready for the competitive teams) the pressure will be lower, but you'll certainly want to advance quickly to get to the competitive team.

It is frustrating enough being the new person and learning all of the above, when it seems like everyone else knows it already (don't worry they're all still learning too).  You don't want to be doing all that, while at the same time be shaky on the basic L1 and L2 skills.  Your teammates will not appreciate it if you're not at the right level. You don't want that stress.

If you can swing it, I would get some private lessons- you'll save money and time in the long run, because you'll pass your skills faster, and be more confident that when you do have the level to join the team, your skills are right where they should be and you can have FUN!

You have LOTS of time ahead of you!!!  Don't rush it and enjoy every minute of learning these skills.  Synchro will be there when you're ready.

JenniRose399

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 11:39:45 am »
I agree with the above, I'm also a synchro skater (but I skate in adult category). Where are you based? My club have several junior teams for different levels. I would suggest you start with a beginners synchro team. I started in an adult team for skate UK level 4-skate star gold. I've just passed gold and about to join our competitive adult team but it's taken me 2 years to get to this point. There is a lot to learn about basic skating as well as formations etc.

I would highly recommend synchro though, it really helps to improve you skating and your basics!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy