Author Topic: Any UK Rink Closures Due to Corona Virus?  (Read 23157 times)

Fluffelina

Re: Any UK Rink Closures Due to Corona Virus?
« Reply #187 on: January 05, 2021, 08:33:53 am »
I used to work with a Polish lady, she said that the teachers would flood out an outdoor basketball court for them, and they could skate when they wanted. Apparently she walked home with her gloves on her feet so she didn't have to take shoes.

black

• Skate free
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2021, 10:00:43 am »
Regarding insurance for businesses (like ice rinks) there is a legal case of note:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-insurers-court/uk-businesses-not-covered-for-pandemic-insurers-tell-supreme-court-idUKKBN27W1XL
https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/corporate/bi-insurance-test-case-qbe-appeal-written-case.pdf

At the moment it looks like the insurance cover is for losses within a 25 mile radius of the business premises, not nationally.
It's in progress however.

UK top court clears way for COVID-19 business insurance payments - January 15, 2021
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-court-insurers/uk-supreme-court-hands-businesses-victory-in-covid-19-insurance-ruling-idUSKBN29K112
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #190 on: February 27, 2021, 06:56:05 pm »
Latest from BIS/NISA;
https://www.iceskating.org.uk/post/ice-rinks-re-opening-schedule-an-update
They're not sure yet; working on it.

From the 'COVID-19 Response - Spring 2021';
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-spring-2021/covid-19-response-spring-2021

"Step 2 - At least five weeks after Step 1, no earlier than 12 April.
Indoor leisure (including gyms) open for use individually or within household groups."
"Step 3 - At least five weeks after Step 2, no earlier than 17 May.
Indoor entertainment and attractions."

As mentioned earlier on the thread, oddly ice rinks were apparently classified as 'entertainment', last year.

"The government has offered no formal reason as to why ice rinks have not been reclassified as sports facilitates."
https://www.iceskating.org.uk/post/adult-skaters-your-questions-answered

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #191 on: March 02, 2021, 10:08:51 am »
Thanks for those links, black

I don't find it entirely odd that rinks were classified as entertainment

They are a strange hybrid of entertainment and sport

I suppose from the government's point of view, they want a clear-cut rule they can apply and I guess don't want to get bogged down in the intricate detail of every venue and who can use it

If it were up to me, I'd open everything tomorrow, but I don't think skating or indeed sport in general should be a special case, much as I love skating and sport and feel them beneficial. 

Meantime, everywhere I go there are people skating on wheels.  At least that has not been taken away from us.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #192 on: March 08, 2021, 12:47:57 pm »
Latest from Planet Ice; 12th April for under 18s -> https://planet-ice.co.uk/happy-to-be-back-ice-skating/

A coronavirus breathalyzer (like for alcohol testing) would be good.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #193 on: March 08, 2021, 12:57:12 pm »
Latest from Planet Ice; 12th April for under 18s -> https://planet-ice.co.uk/happy-to-be-back-ice-skating/

A coronavirus breathalyzer (like for alcohol testing) would be good.

Regarding the breathalyzer if it is anything like all the other testing mechanisms used it will give a lot of false positives, so no thanks.  Also unlikely to be cost effective.  I think we'll either need segregated sessions or people like me who do not want to be tested, tracked and traced will be excluded and do something else instead.  I am not expecting to go back on the ice in the UK, ever.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #194 on: March 12, 2021, 10:40:16 pm »

Regarding the breathalyzer if it is anything like all the other testing mechanisms used it will give a lot of false positives, so no thanks.  Also unlikely to be cost effective.  I think we'll either need segregated sessions or people like me who do not want to be tested, tracked and traced will be excluded and do something else instead.  I am not expecting to go back on the ice in the UK, ever.

A shame, that you'd give up the sport and seem to have a very negative outlook. Hopefully as vaccination rolls out, the need for test and trace will reduce and we can start enjoying all aspects of life again. Until then, I'll do what is needed to enable me to do the things I enjoy.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

spinZZ

« Reply #195 on: March 15, 2021, 01:34:37 pm »
I launched this thread a year ago today.  Circumstances declined precipitously:  from "Everything appears OK for now" to most rinks closed just several days later.  The road to recovery, unfortunately, has been much slower, tortured, and tortuous.

On this anniversary date, I give my best wishes to all forum members:  I hope you have stayed in good health and will return to the ice soon.  I got my second Moderna shot last week on the 10th; fortunately, only mild side effects. Looking forward to returning to the ice after the 24th.  That's assuming I can find a suitable session.  In my area in the US, most rinks are trying to recover as much revenue as possible by booking as many hockey sessions as they can.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #196 on: March 20, 2021, 04:11:37 pm »

A shame, that you'd give up the sport and seem to have a very negative outlook. Hopefully as vaccination rolls out, the need for test and trace will reduce and we can start enjoying all aspects of life again. Until then, I'll do what is needed to enable me to do the things I enjoy.

Negative?  I prefer to think of it as realistic.  Normality is always just around the corner but there's always something else that gets in the way.  Skating is meant to be pleasurable, and being muzzled, treated like a walking disease vector, counted, herded, distanced, tracked, traced, tested and jabbed just to be able to skate removes all the pleasure.  Skating outdoors where I am free (at least for now) is far preferable.  There's a long list of other things that I won't be able or want to do, for the rest of my life - foreign travel, going anywhere with crowds etc - for the same reasons.  As for doing what I need to enable me to do the things I enjoy, we've done as we're told for the last year and where has it got us?  I hope you get back to skating and manage to enjoy it.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2021, 08:31:30 pm »
I launched this thread a year ago today.  Circumstances declined precipitously:  from "Everything appears OK for now" to most rinks closed just several days later.  The road to recovery, unfortunately, has been much slower, tortured, and tortuous.

On this anniversary date, I give my best wishes to all forum members:  I hope you have stayed in good health and will return to the ice soon.  I got my second Moderna shot last week on the 10th; fortunately, only mild side effects. Looking forward to returning to the ice after the 24th.  That's assuming I can find a suitable session.  In my area in the US, most rinks are trying to recover as much revenue as possible by booking as many hockey sessions as they can.

Thanks for your good wishes.  Very jealous of you lot in the US.  If I could get a Green Card I'd be moving to South Dakota in a flash.

Rinks (and everything else that resembles normal human life) still closed/illegal here.  All the vulnerable have been offered the jab.  We can't leave the country.  Not sure if there's a date for rinks reopening but wouldn't believe it if there was.

But there has been a boom in skating outdoors on wheels.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy