Author Topic: Any UK Rink Closures Due to Corona Virus?  (Read 23147 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: Any UK Rink Closures Due to Corona Virus?
« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2020, 11:14:40 am »
Just heard that Eden’s ice rink is still due to open with lessons going ahead. Emails going out on 1st October  O0

This is the best news I've heard in a long time!  Thank you!  :D
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2020, 01:21:19 pm »
According to an acquaintance who works for the Link Centre Swindon they have started officially working on the rink.
Possible opening mid to end September.

Today!?

https://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/18753509.link-centre-ice-rink-set-reopen-week/
https://better.legendonlineservices.co.uk/enterprise/onlineticketing/browse/319/2
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2020, 07:44:25 pm »
I did hear they were opening this week...

Does the "patch sessions for Level 4 qualified skaters and above" refer to skaters with NISA Level 4, which would count out a huge number of keen skaters, or LTS Level 4...?
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Crackers

« Reply #146 on: September 30, 2020, 11:07:07 pm »
I did hear they were opening this week...

Does the "patch sessions for Level 4 qualified skaters and above" refer to skaters with NISA Level 4, which would count out a huge number of keen skaters, or LTS Level 4...?

This refers to LTS level 4. I remember taking my 2 to their first patch ice (it kinda felt like we had entered a secret club).

Yes, Swindon opened today (although we are leaving it a bit longer before returning).

Booking is a prerequisite and patch pass members can book 7 days in advance (non-members 6 days)
only 20 people on ice at any time (including coaches)
5 minutes to lace up
enter ice through bottom gate (by skate hire)
only the disabled toilet is in operation (middle gate off the ice)
1 hour only (30 mins coached + 1 hour practice if you have a lesson)
exit the ice through top gate and 10 mins to change out of skates
exit rink through top fire exit

oh and 1 spectator (parent) is allowed - masked up of course.

they will be phasing in other sessions soon
and the Wildcats logo is now in the centre (they couldn't afford it last time the pad was relaid)

black

• Skate free
« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2020, 02:47:56 pm »
5 minutes to lace up

10 mins to change out of skates

It should be the other way around? It's quicker to take skates off than to put them on.

the Wildcats logo is now in the centre

Rarr! Let's go Wildcats!
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

black

• Skate free

black

• Skate free

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2020, 11:39:20 am »
I think the Sobell is now open too, usual rigmarole

Wheels FTW

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2020, 12:35:58 pm »
So good to see more rinks reopening!  Still no news about Plymouth.

Eden's rink opened on schedule, 17th October.  There's a one-way system in place, which is cumbersome and annoying if you manage to book more than one session as you have to leave your shoes (and bag if you have one, although this is discouraged) through one side of the skate hire hut, get on the ice through one entrance, skate and then exit through the other gate and collect your things from the other side of the hut.  There are only 12 trays to hold people's possessions, so that could get difficult.  If you've managed to book 2 sessions (they're 40 minutes each, with a 20 minute resurface inbetween), you are expected to collect your stuff and exit the building, walk right around to the other side and go through the whole rigmarole again.  You can't just leave your stuff where it is, stay on the other side and get back on the ice through the exit when the next session starts.  We suspect they may alter this later in the season for the regular skaters.  Well, we hope so...

But it's the only ice in the south west of the country, so we're taking it!

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2020, 12:37:57 pm »
I will be boycotting all rinks until everything is back to normal, so that'll be the rest of my life probably.  Ice was nice, while it lasted.  It's unsustainable anyway.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2020, 12:51:09 pm »
I will be boycotting all rinks until everything is back to normal, so that'll be the rest of my life probably.  Ice was nice, while it lasted.  It's unsustainable anyway.

I believe you have mentioned this...

The Eden Project are taking Covid security very seriously, which is why they have put in place so many restrictions and systems to keep people as safe as possible.  The flaw in the plan is the visitors, especially the family groups.  There appears to be something that happens to the brains of people when they become parents, as I visited last week and found that the people with children seemed to pay absolutely no attention to social distancing and just sprawled over the entire width of the paths, preventing other people from going at anything other than a snail's pace and having to hope that staying as far back as possible from their coughing, sneezing children was enough.  They also seemed to forget that the mask wearing rules apply to them, too. 

But the rink has very restricted numbers (down from the insurance limit of 250 to 50 actual skaters) and was much nicer than usual in half term!  Shame about the rest of the place.  I'm avoiding it for this week, when the local children are on holiday.  I'm staying under my rock until next week.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy