Author Topic: Any UK Rink Closures Due to Corona Virus?  (Read 23145 times)

spinZZ

Re: Any UK Rink Closures Due to Corona Virus?
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 09:11:39 pm »
Queens, Sheffield, Time Capsule, Hamilton, East Kilbride, Nottingham, Grimsby (albeit for maintenance), The Peak in Stirling, Dundee. Ally Pally...  I believe all the Planet Ice rinks are staying open until they have no choice.
Sorry to hear that.  Looks like events in the UK are developing as they did in the US.  Normal one day; and then a day or two later ... Bam!

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 10:18:00 pm »
Hamilton normally closes for the summer about now.

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 08:08:21 am »
I am slightly surprised any of them are still open.  Obviously exercise and having an outlet is very important, probably more than ever in these times, but I think going to the rink for a skate looks very much to me like "unecessary social contact" which we are meant to be avoiding.

This nice young man is promising us some good exercises for skating that we can do at home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iq7oJ66-Yk[/size]
[size=78%] [/size]

hermitdave

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 10:02:27 am »
Romford is still open. At least at competitive levels, continued practice is important and I offered volunteers at the rink should they need any to help keep it running longer.
Skaters have cut down on close contact - can't help it with pairs but keeping fingers crossed that if they can run a reduced timetable the better for the kids (including mine of course). That said heading to Streatham Skating Shop with my daughter to get Royal Elites today - talk about bad timing :(

spinZZ

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 12:25:05 pm »
Romford is still open. At least at competitive levels, continued practice is important and I offered volunteers at the rink should they need any to help keep it running longer.
Skaters have cut down on close contact - can't help it with pairs but keeping fingers crossed that if they can run a reduced timetable the better for the kids (including mine of course). That said heading to Streatham Skating Shop with my daughter to get Royal Elites today - talk about bad timing :(
I don't want to sound judgemental.  But this really is the wrong perspective.  Sure we don't want our lives, and the lives of our children interrupted.  But there is a lot more at stake than skating skills and competitions.  What's happening in the US is that voluntary measures have not been sufficient to contain the virus; so more severe measures are being mandated by law (stricter ones coming in day by day as the crisis grows).  Many specific businesses are now explicitly required to be shut down by law; other businesses are voluntarily shutting down (either for the greater good or because they have no customers).  Rinks are not explicitly on the list yet [I think mainly because they are not all that common relative to other venues and have been overlooked; gyms are explicitly shut down in my region], but many have voluntarily shut down or limited activities to comply with maximum number of people congregating.  I think very soon they will all shut down. Prolonged partial openings will likely only intensify the crisis.  I've decided to stay home, rather than go to a rink that is still open (fully or partially).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:30:39 pm by spinZZ »

hermitdave

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 12:34:13 pm »
I don't want to sound judgemental.  But this really is the wrong perspective.  Sure we don't want our lives, and the lives of our children interrupted.  But there is a lot more at stake than skating skills and competitions.  What's happening in the US is that voluntary measures have not been sufficient to contain the virus; so more severe measures are being mandated by law (stricter ones coming in day by day as the crisis grows).  Many specific businesses are now explicitly required to be shut down by law; other businesses are voluntarily shutting down (either for the greater good or because they have no customers).  Rinks are not explicitly on the list yet [I think mainly because they are not all that common relative to other venues and have been overlooked; gyms are explicitly shut down in my region], but many have voluntarily shut down or limited activities to comply with maximum number of people congregating.  I think very soon they will all shut down. Prolonged partial openings will likely only intensify the crisis.  I've decided to stay home, rather than go to a rink that is still open (fully or partially).

I agree that we need to contain the spread of the virus. London became hotspot much faster than government here could have predicted. Londoners knew that once it gets to the tube its going to spread like fire but we heard about 'herd immunity' as if its a thing!
I have been working from home for a week now - voluntary measures from work. Schools are still open here.

I agree though - anyone who comes in contact with anyone remotely elderly or immuno-compromised should self-isolate.
There is so much unknow. From what I read on BBC, 65% of those affected would barely even get a sour throat.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 07:55:18 pm »
While the top priority is to protect the vulnerable directly, I believe the idea behind minimizing social contact is to stop the spread generally so that when vulnerable people do come into contact with others, which is almost inevitable, those others are themselves less likely to be carrying the virus, possibly unknowingly as the symptoms do not manifest immediately.  And to buy time to strengthen the health services to cope with the spike in sick people.  The Italians have had a much more stringent lockdown than we have, for longer, and their cases are still rising quite sharply.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2020, 08:34:04 pm »
We had a sparsely attended Coach & Skate session this morning but the following General Skate session was busier than usual but still not exactly crowded.  Mostly with what appeared to be random students and young people.

Had word from the rink last this afternoon that it will close after the last session on Friday, until "this is all over". 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

spinZZ

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2020, 08:36:20 pm »
While the top priority is to protect the vulnerable directly, I believe the idea behind minimizing social contact is to stop the spread generally so that when vulnerable people do come into contact with others, which is almost inevitable, those others are themselves less likely to be carrying the virus, possibly unknowingly as the symptoms do not manifest immediately.  And to buy time to strengthen the health services to cope with the spike in sick people.  The Italians have had a much more stringent lockdown than we have, for longer, and their cases are still rising quite sharply.
Yes!  In many regions, governments have not started to take action (such as issue restrictions) until people in their regions actually start to get sick; and they don't take severe action until substantial numbers get sick.  And by then it's too late.  So there is a need to shutdown non-essential public venues early, rather than coming up with ways to keep them open (fully or partially).  And hard as it may be for us to admit, a rink is non-essential.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:57:54 pm by spinZZ »

black

• Skate free
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2020, 11:26:00 am »
a rink is non-essential.

You must be new around here! ;D
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2020, 11:39:36 am »
a rink is non-essential.

What heresy is this???  :o :o :o
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy