Author Topic: Any UK Rink Closures Due to Corona Virus?  (Read 23193 times)

black

Re: Any UK Rink Closures Due to Corona Virus?
« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2020, 10:42:29 am »
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november#businesses-and-venues

"..the Government has ordered certain businesses and venues to close.."
"indoor and outdoor leisure facilities such as.."

A way to write to your local MP, and to the PM;
https://www.writetothem.com/
https://email.number10.gov.uk/
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Fluffelina

« Reply #155 on: November 01, 2020, 10:43:36 am »
I have just got new boots and straight away they jinx the world. Arrrgggg!

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2020, 11:20:49 am »
Yep, new boots and blades for me, too.  Gah.  I'm absolutely gutted, and also really upset for the Eden Project who took a massive risk when they decided to open their winter rink this year. 

Also, I notice that tailors are specifically mentioned in the first paragraph of "non-essential retailers".  So now I can't see clients.  As a bespoke tailor, that impacts on me.  As a designer and maker of sports and dancewear... Yeah.  Great.  I have to hope that my US customers order or it'll be porridge for every meal.  Sans cinnamon and banana.

Absolutely no point in emailing my MP (Sheryll Murray).  She's only in it for her own gain and absolutely toes the party line. All communications are answered with a stock letter mailed out by a minion.  And often disregarded to the point of rudeness as it's plain that the original emails and letters haven't actually been read properly.  I once asked for her opinions on a particular document and she sent me a photocopy of that document.  When I pointed out that I'd obviously already read it, and actually wanted a discussion about the contents, I got a letter back saying, "I refer you to the enclosure with my last letter".  Waste of space and money.

And anyway, I'm afraid that the country needs another lockdown.  Even in the far South West, although our infection figures are low, they are definitely increasing (thanks mainly to the massive influx of tourists who came down here "to escape all that mask rubbish" and students (don't get me started).  As we have a mere 15 intensive care beds for the entire county, we don't want any more infections! 

<stomps off to glare at the non-laying hens in the garden>
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Loops

« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2020, 03:30:32 pm »
Absolutely no point in emailing my MP (Sheryll Murray).  She's only in it for her own gain and absolutely toes the party line. All communications are answered with a stock letter mailed out by a minion.  And often disregarded to the point of rudeness as it's plain that the original emails and letters haven't actually been read properly.  I once asked for her opinions on a particular document and she sent me a photocopy of that document.  When I pointed out that I'd obviously already read it, and actually wanted a discussion about the contents, I got a letter back saying, "I refer you to the enclosure with my last letter".  Waste of space and money.

Sounds like your politicians and my Reps over in the US read out of the same playbook.  Its shocking and so frustrating that I played into their hand and gave up years ago.   I'm sad for you that your business is on hold once again.  Good luck.  Hopefully the US clients will pull through for you!  Do you have a site?  I sew my own skatewear, but I'd love to see what you do.  Plus my friends here do often order their dresses online.  Do you have a website or FB page to share?  I'd be very happy to give them a nudge in your direction.

And anyway, I'm afraid that the country needs another lockdown.  Even in the far South West, although our infection figures are low, they are definitely increasing (thanks mainly to the massive influx of tourists who came down here "to escape all that mask rubbish" and students (don't get me started).  As we have a mere 15 intensive care beds for the entire county, we don't want any more infections! 

We're in the same situation.  This lockdown is necessary and probably started a little too late.  Some of the big cities have been in a dire situation for at least a week already. Our numbers in Rural, western France are increasing but at nowhere near the same rate as the rest of France (cough cough Paris cough).  Sadly though, this go-around it looks like my region will take a hit- our local hospitals are already nearing ICU capacity.  We went into lockdown at Midnight on Friday morning, all sports (except Olympians) included.  We're also in the last days of half-term so we'll see how this plays out next week.  My kids will still be going to school.  And it seems, if I'm reading everything correctly, that school, Physical Education-related sports are still a go, which means I'll still be taking her class to THE POOL once a week.  That is a nightmare- two schools unavoidably cross, and the spaces are small, so despite being masked, it'll still be a huge press of kids and adults.  Great decision oh wise politicians. [eyeroll]

Fluffelina

« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2020, 04:02:54 pm »
Apparently, not even dancing on ice will be allowed to use Hemel. Crazy. Oh well.

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #159 on: November 01, 2020, 04:30:34 pm »
Sounds like your politicians and my Reps over in the US read out of the same playbook.  Its shocking and so frustrating that I played into their hand and gave up years ago.   I'm sad for you that your business is on hold once again.  Good luck.  Hopefully the US clients will pull through for you!  Do you have a site?  I sew my own skatewear, but I'd love to see what you do.  Plus my friends here do often order their dresses online.  Do you have a website or FB page to share?  I'd be very happy to give them a nudge in your direction.

We're in the same situation.  This lockdown is necessary and probably started a little too late.  Some of the big cities have been in a dire situation for at least a week already. Our numbers in Rural, western France are increasing but at nowhere near the same rate as the rest of France (cough cough Paris cough).  Sadly though, this go-around it looks like my region will take a hit- our local hospitals are already nearing ICU capacity.  We went into lockdown at Midnight on Friday morning, all sports (except Olympians) included.  We're also in the last days of half-term so we'll see how this plays out next week.  My kids will still be going to school.  And it seems, if I'm reading everything correctly, that school, Physical Education-related sports are still a go, which means I'll still be taking her class to THE POOL once a week.  That is a nightmare- two schools unavoidably cross, and the spaces are small, so despite being masked, it'll still be a huge press of kids and adults.  Great decision oh wise politicians. [eyeroll]

The Government here is apparently now being criticised by its own backbenchers for "following the scientists"...  What the actual?!  If they'd actually listened to the scientists and followed their advice months ago, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in now!  Honestly, I despair.

My sports and dancewear range is Roaring Mouse.  I can be found on social media and use Etsy as my sales platform.  I don't think I'm allowed to post links and, in fact, I may be risking swift and deadly retribution by even mentioning the name on here...  <looks nervous>

Apparently, not even dancing on ice will be allowed to use Hemel. Crazy. Oh well.

Uh-oh!  I know they had exclusive use of Slough during the previous lockdown, so maybe they'll get that again?  Who knows.  The ways of the Leaders are mystifying at the best of times.  It's all really about money more than lives.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2020, 05:20:40 pm »
If we're going to debate the pros and cons of controversial subjects such as lockdowns, we should maybe do it in the lounge rather than on a skating thread, but as it's been brought up, the way I see it the lockdown we've been having on and off since March hasn't made much difference so why would doing another one now make a difference?

Put another way, if lockdowns work then after a month, what will have changed?  Nothing.  Back to square one.  We open up, we get more "cases" and we have another lockdown.  If lockdowns don't work (and looking at evidence from aorund the world, many countries that did not lock down much have done OK or certainly no worse than many countries that did) then they do more harm than good.

There's no exit strategy being offered other than a vaccine, which may take years before it is remotely effective and safe.  We cannot carry on like this for years.

If you look at all-cause mortality across Europe, according the European CDC (https://www.euromomo.eu/) it is within normal range for this time of year.  There's nothing exceptional happening.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2020, 09:38:09 am »
Regarding students, I think it worth bearing in mind some forum members are either students or parents of students.  I fall into one of those categories myself, and know lots of others who do too, and to my (admittedly anecdotal) knowledge the vast majority of students are doing their best to follow the ever changing, illogical rules, in spite of their (very expensive) education being ruined and being illegally imprisoned in student halls.  They are as much victims of this as anyone else.

black

« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2020, 07:41:36 pm »
Might be useful for someone;

(NISA/BIS) https://www.bluefinsport.co.uk/coronavirus/faqs/
https://www.insure4sport.co.uk/blog/how-does-coronavirus-affect-your-insurance/

NISA/BIS posted this news item 23rd October, regarding insurance;
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/edc78b_2ca5bf81051c4adb86039d51110fec27~mv2.jpg

I would check with the insurance company regarding this.
For Bluefin in the FAQ it mentions 'Notifiable Diseases'.
COVID-19 is listed as notifiable -> https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notifiable-diseases-and-causative-organisms-how-to-report
Note regional dates when it was made 'notifiable', as opposed to new/novel.
Scotland 22nd February
Northern Ireland 29th February
England 5th March
Wales 6th March

Also on the insure4sport site regarding Public Liability;
"In the unlikely event a claim was made against you, your policy cover would, subject to the terms of the policy, provide indemnity to you to defend such a claim"
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2020, 08:38:46 pm »
NISA/BIS always generous to a fault...  ::)

Eden sent me a message today informing me that the courses starting on 4th November/7th November will now be transferred to the beginning of January and anybody who can't/doesn't want to skate then can apply for a refund after 5th November.  They also say that they are intending to reopen the rink in December.  This has come as a great relief to a lot of skaters!

Nothing from Plymouth, as ever, but I honestly don't blame them for not having opened at all. 

black

« Reply #164 on: November 04, 2020, 07:37:10 pm »
I didn't realise Northern Ireland was already in a 4 week lock-down from Friday 16th October.

Meaning the Dundonald International Ice Bowl is scheduled to hopefully reopen Saturday 14th Nov?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy