Author Topic: Moving from MK Professional to Paramount Pattern 99 equivalent  (Read 2091 times)

hermitdave

Hello all,

My daughter is a Basic Novice skater and she is going to need new boots soon. This time she will need new blades as well. Talking to her coach, I learned about Paramount and got myself a deal on 440SS Pattern 99 equivalents. This was before I knew much about the profiles (not that it has helped much). How long does it take to adjust to a new profile ? From what I have read, this is specific to the individual - some never manage it and others do it in less than a week.

Anyone here with Paramount SS blades and specifically Freestyle / Pattern 99 equivalent ones ?

Thanks

Hermit

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Moving from MK Professional to Paramount Pattern 99 equivalent
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 03:32:39 pm »
I'm pretty hopeless (and old) and it only took me a few weeks.  Your daughter is doubtless not at all hopeless and young so I doubt it would take more than a few sessions to get fairly comfortable.

hermitdave

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 03:45:11 pm »
I'm pretty hopeless (and old) and it only took me a few weeks.  Your daughter is doubtless not at all hopeless and young so I doubt it would take more than a few sessions to get fairly comfortable.
Many thanks. She is still weeks away from trying them! We only got her feet measured and we are hoping to go in for molding later this month. Lack of information has been killing me. Once she tries them I will no doubt post here

Crackers

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 11:12:35 pm »
My son moved from Coronation Ace (equivalent to MK Professional) to MK Gold Star (pattern 99 equivalent) when I got a fantastic deal on a pair of used MK Gold Star blades in January last year took him a few minutes to get used to the balance and a session to get his spins back centred. A few months later his feet grew and I had to get a new set of longer blades to fit the bigger Jackson boots... that was expensive!

My daughter has just got a slightly smaller pair of Edea Ice Fly (her foot was moving in the boot) and changed up from flat Coronation Ace (worn by sharpening) to new Gold Seal blades and she had a similar experience to my son and took a session to re-centre her spins.

Both had a significant speed increase across the ice with the new blades and they have helped them both progress from single to double jumps.

I think what I am saying is don't worry, your daughter will love them and (as transmissionoftheflame has said) it won't take her long to adjust.

By the way, I just googled the 440SS blades.... they are nice looking, what colour aluminium did your daughter choose?
The only thing that I have seen from people with matrix blades (also aluminium hanger) is that the aluminium gets scratched & gouged (usually on the tail) when they catch their blades.
Also make sure that your skate shop has the correct sharpening jig (All Star Hockey in Swindon ordered a new set of jigs when a friend of ours bought some Matrix blades so that they could sharpen them for her.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 11:22:55 pm by Crackers »

hermitdave

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 12:00:33 pm »
Many thanks for detailed experiences of both your son and daughter.

I only started looking into profile differences once I had the blades  :-\
scarletskater.wordpress.com/2017/06/02/blade-profiles/ was the most helpful of them all talking about various bits and probably confused me the most.

I am glad they adapted quickly. I am keeping fingers crossed. My daughter likes Blue and for that reason I picked the blades that I did as they were Icy Blue. She doesn't know that - and she chose the same when looking on Paramount site the other day ;D

Yes the blades to get dents and scratches - my daughter did that to MK Pro in early days of her axel back in the day - these would be more noticeable. My daugther's main coach sharpens for most skaters at Romford and his sharpening jig is compatible as his sons use Paramount too
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:04:15 pm by hermitdave »

spinZZ

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 01:09:54 pm »
Many thanks for detailed experiences of both your son and daughter.

I only started looking into profile differences once I had the blades  :-\
scarletskater.wordpress.com/2017/06/02/blade-profiles/ was the most helpful of them all talking about various bits and probably confused me the most.

I am glad they adapted quickly. I am keeping fingers crossed. My daughter likes Blue and for that reason I picked the blades that I did as they were Icy Blue. She doesn't know that - and she chose the same when looking on Paramount site the other day ;D

Yes the blades to get dents and scratches - my daughter did that to MK Pro in early days of her axel back in the day - these would be more noticeable. My daugther's main coach sharpens for most skaters at Romford and his sharpening jig is compatible as his sons use Paramount too
I have the Paramount Gold Seal equivalent in 440C.  Paramount has a series of informative videos:  https://www.paramountskates.com/videos.  In particular, note the one on "Blade Profiles".  I don't agree with them, though, that there is no difference between a 7' and an 8' radius main rocker; there is. 

I'm glad your coach is experienced with sharpening Paramount.  In addition to requiring the proper jig, it requires special adjustments.  Also, 440C SS is more difficult to sharpen than plain carbon steel.  But the edges last a lot longer, and require less frequent sharpening. 

spinZZ

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 01:14:00 pm »
My son moved from Coronation Ace (equivalent to MK Professional) to MK Gold Star (pattern 99 equivalent) ...
Coronation Ace and MK Pro both have 7' radius main rocker, but different spin rockers and picks.  Gold Star has 7' radius main rocker; P99 has 8' radius main rocker, different spin rocker, picks, and stanchion heights compared to Gold Star.

hermitdave

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 01:23:12 pm »
I have the Paramount Gold Seal equivalent in 440C.  Paramount has a series of informative videos:  https://www.paramountskates.com/videos.  In particular, note the one on "Blade Profiles".  I don't agree with them, though, that there is no difference between a 7' and an 8' radius main rocker; there is. 

I'm glad your coach is experienced with sharpening Paramount.  In addition to requiring the proper jig, it requires special adjustments.  Also, 440C SS is more difficult to sharpen than plain carbon steel.  But the edges last a lot longer, and require less frequent sharpening. 

I probably saw that video - their videos are a bit dry to be honest. She will be moving from 7' rocker to 8' rocker and different spin rocker too. the more I read the move concerned I became. She was telling me that Pattern 99 and Gold Seal are the top blades and so on and so forth so she should motivated a bit considering she thinks she chose it Freestyle Icy blue blades :)

They use 420SS I believe - I understand that 440SS is harder and a bigger pain but it was on offer and that's what I purchased

hermitdave

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 01:25:03 pm »
Coronation Ace and MK Pro both have 7' radius main rocker, but different spin rockers and picks.  Gold Star has 7' radius main rocker; P99 has 8' radius main rocker, different spin rocker, picks, and stanchion heights compared to Gold Star.
from post about choosing blades scarletskater.wordpress.com/2017/06/01/choosing-figure-skating-blades/

spinZZ

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 08:43:56 pm »
They use 420SS I believe - I understand that 440SS is harder and a bigger pain but it was on offer and that's what I purchased
Paramount supplies their high-end blades (such as Gold Seal and Pattern 99) in both 420 and 440 SS, with a substantial premium for 440.  Your first post mentioned 440.  But even the 420 is more difficult to sharpen than plain carbon steel.  I paid extra for the 440 because my major motivation to buy Paramount was long edge life, not light weight.  Since there are a lot of minuses going with Paramount, I wanted the longer lasting 440.  But if you got a good deal on 420, the edge life will still be better than that of plain carbon steel.

hermitdave

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 08:50:50 pm »
Paramount supplies their high-end blades (such as Gold Seal and Pattern 99) in both 420 and 440 SS, with a substantial premium for 440.  Your first post mentioned 440.  But even the 420 is more difficult to sharpen than plain carbon steel.  I paid extra for the 440 because my major motivation to buy Paramount was long edge life, not light weight.  Since there are a lot of minuses going with Paramount, I wanted the longer lasting 440.  But if you got a good deal on 420, the edge life will still be better than that of plain carbon steel.

I meant my daughter's coach and kids sons (who also coach) user 420SS. I got 440SS on a deal and they are waiting for boots to arrive.
We go for later this month and she gets them the next day 😏

I think there's 100 USD difference between 420SS and 440SS. 440SS being harder than anything else used in the market.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy